Poisonous jellyfish affects Samui's tourism

webfact

SAMUI, 3 September 2016 (NNT) - Vendors on the Lamai beach in Ko Samui district have reported lower sales after poisonous jellyfish were found in the Gulf of Thailand and Andaman Sea. 

Some of the vendors said their sales dropped by many thousands baht a day. Jet ski and boat rental businesses on the beach have also been affected by the poisonous animal. 

Chief of the Tourism Association of Koh Samui and owner of Lamai Wantha Hotel Kritsana Phromkoh said what was important was the island’s readiness to help tourists who were stung by poisonous jellyfish. He stressed that the island should be fully prepared to provide prompt aid for the tourists. 

The Ko Samui Municipality has approved more than 200,000 baht to buy nets to prevent the jellyfish so that tourists can do outdoor activities and swim safely on the island’s beaches. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-03

22 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Jellyfish aren't poisonous, they're venomous.

Thanks for setting us straight on that.  

But I guess you'd better contact Google and get them to fix their definition of venom because they say venom is "a poisonous substance", so that would make venomous animals poisonous, wouldn't it?  

ven·om
ˈvenəm/
noun

1. a poisonous substance secreted by animals such as snakes, spiders, and scorpions and typically injected into prey or aggressors by biting or stinging.

No. Incorrect.

If something is poisonous, it is a danger to eat. A toadstool for instance.

If something is venomous it has the power to administer a venom (that you probably shouldn't eat as it's poisonous) that is going to affect you adversely. Snakes and scorpions (both of which are edible, so, they can't be poisonous).

You see the difference?

14 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

No. Incorrect.

If something is poisonous, it is a danger to eat. A toadstool for instance.

If something is venomous it has the power to administer a venom (that you probably shouldn't eat as it's poisonous) that is going to affect you adversely. Snakes and scorpions (both of which are edible, so, they can't be poisonous).

You see the difference?

Oh,  I'm not opposing you -- Google is. Perhap they feel that if the animal contains poisonous venom, then eating it makes it poisonous.  

"Toxins are poisons produced by organisms in nature, and venoms are toxins injected by a bite or sting (this is exclusive to animals). The difference between venom and other poisons is the delivery method. "

There ya go!

Education, Education, Education is NEEDED on Samui. Here's the main issue now. Thais (and others) are now calling ALL Jellyfish BOX Jellyfish which of course they are NOT all Box Jellyfish. 

I raced the Samui Xterra off road Triathlon last weekend and the swim discipline of the event was canceled because of the Jellyfish. The British MC from the race spoke so much rubbish about the numbers of people stung and how bad it was. There were and are still none in the North of the Island.  Firstly the Box Jellyfish are on the East coast running with the warm current and they are seasonal. Late September to early November. With 2016 El Niño weather pattern year which brings warmer than usual waters the Jellyfish travel with them. This will be over soon and we get La Niña which will balance out the waters and cool things down. This means less jellyfish and probably no more Box Jellyfish (we hope).

Thai baht 200,000 on Nets. I almost fell off my chair reading that. They are way better off educating people on the beach, the operators and people who are there on the beaches daily about what they are and how to deal with them. 

Way too much info I know but it never ceases to amaze me who comes up with these so-called solutions. I’m building a new swimming pool and moving to the mountains, phew!!!

SAMUI, 3 September 2016 (NNT) - Vendors on the Lamai beach in Ko Samui district have reported lower sales after poisonous jellyfish were found in the Gulf of Thailand and Andaman Sea. 

It's often surprising how quick the vendors knows what affects Samui's tourism.

Seem like we are talking about beach-vendors, and when there are warning signs up at the beach about Box Jelly Fish and media reports about the danger, some tourists rather use the hotel pools than Lamai's beach – we've also seen tread about it in the Samui local forum – resulting in less guests at the beach; however the number of tourists on the island may well be the same as usual.

Furthermore we heading into low season and soon Samui's old-time "no season", so from end of September, there shall be less tourist, according to the average in statistics – some years here are more tourists, some years less are coming – but anyway good to hear that the authorities will improve the visitor's safety by nets.

Has anyone heard about people cancelling their Samui-holiday this autumn because of Box Jelly Fish..?

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

It's often surprising how quick the vendors knows what affects Samui's tourism.

Seem like we are talking about beach-vendors, and when there are warning signs up at the beach about Box Jelly Fish and media reports about the danger, some tourists rather use the hotel pools than Lamai's beach – we've also seen tread about it in the Samui local forum – resulting in less guests at the beach; however the number of tourists on the island may well be the same as usual.

Furthermore we heading into low season and soon Samui's old-time "no season", so from end of September, there shall be less tourist, according to the average in statistics – some years here are more tourists, some years less are coming – but anyway good to hear that the authorities will improve the visitor's safety by nets.

Has anyone heard about people cancelling their Samui-holiday this autumn because of Box Jelly Fish..?

I was always under the impression that the High Season throughout Thailand was Nov. thru Feb. as it is a bit cooler then,  Not true for the southern islands?

30 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I was always under the impression that the High Season throughout Thailand was Nov. thru Feb. as it is a bit cooler then,  Not true for the southern islands?

On the Phuket-side, Western side of the mainland, probably Yes; but Samui on the Eastern side has the monsoon storms from November, sometime late October, till early January. Some years back many resorts and restaurants simply closed from November 1st till a few days before Xmas, where visitors flocked in, bad weather or not. Peak season is from Xmas over New Year till early January; high season from January til beginning of March, and again in April around Song Kran; plus mid July till mid September. Samui-temperatures are almost the same all year round – can be a bit chill at night, just around 20 centigrade, from December till end of February – but statistically rain falls from October til beginning of January, peaking in November.

16 minutes ago, khunPer said:

On the Phuket-side, Western side of the mainland, probably Yes; but Samui on the Eastern side has the monsoon storms from November, sometime late October, till early January. Some years back many resorts and restaurants simply closed from November 1st till a few days before Xmas, where visitors flocked in, bad weather or not. Peak season is from Xmas over New Year till early January; high season from January til beginning of March, and again in April around Song Kran; plus mid July till mid September. Samui-temperatures are almost the same all year round – can be a bit chill at night, just around 20 centigrade, from December till end of February – but statistically rain falls from October til beginning of January, peaking in November.

WOW you can't buy a rain drop up here in Issan from mid Oct. till Mid May. Its much hotter here too. Have you got any golf courses there? Cant imagine what else I could do for fun. Offshore fishing maybe. I burned myself out on the diving in Mexico and the Keys of Florida. Thanks for the info, maybe I'll bring the bride down there next August when it pours rain everyday here. I'm sure she would love it.

Very much low season in Samui now but the real problem in Lamai, where the jelly fish are reported to be, is the lack of water. I moved a few months ago but my friends tell me the supply dam is empty and they have not had the town supply for over a week.

200000 baht is not going to go anywhere with netting at the Lamai beach even at Thai prices. Someone does not know what they are talking about.

8 hours ago, Grubster said:

...Have you got any golf courses there? Cant imagine what else I could do for fun. Offshore fishing maybe.

Two and a driving range.

Santibury Country Club in the hills behind Maenam, 6930 yards 18 hole par-72 ATP class...

Santiburi_golf_P6100029.jpg

Bo Phut Hills Golf Club has a more easy 9-hole, par-3 course. The Driving Range is in Lamai.

There are a number of touring boat companies offering fishing trips, among others Mr. Tu in Plai Laem soi 3 pier (I only mention him, as he's the only one I know by name – I'm not fishing myself – kind man, who also offer speed boat trips and commute to Full Moon Party).

:smile:

There are lots of things to do on  and around Samui .... even swimming at some of the waterfall pools... But other endless amount of attractions and sightseeing opportunities.around the island. 

In case someone is unfortunate enough to be stung by a Box  Jellyfish, have vinegar on hand...Never swim alone. 

These signs are posted around a number of beaches. 

IMG_8127.thumb.jpg.c10140d62885a95c66bee

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

Two and a driving range.

Santibury Country Club in the hills behind Maenam, 6930 yards 18 hole par-72 ATP class...

Santiburi_golf_P6100029.jpg

Bo Phut Hills Golf Club has a more easy 9-hole, par-3 course. The Driving Range is in Lamai.

There are a number of touring boat companies offering fishing trips, among others Mr. Tu in Plai Laem soi 3 pier (I only mention him, as he's the only one I know by name – I'm not fishing myself – kind man, who also offer speed boat trips and commute to Full Moon Party).

:smile:

Thank you, looks like a nice view from the course

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Thought they built Lamai Makro on that spot.

Anyway there is a driving range on Brandon hospital road, close to the hospital.

Oh, so they did – thanks, I'm not a golfer, so didn't miss the driving range. I'll look out at Bandon Hospital Road, next time I come there, so I give correct info – thanks again...:wai:

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Thought they built Lamai Makro on that spot.

Anyway there is a driving range on Brandon hospital road, close to the hospital.

There is a driving range on the Soi One road to Maenam, perhaps a kilometer or two up from Family Mart... Near Buddy's. complex... can't say I remember one where Makro is.... perhaps  I missed that!!! :omfg:

Just now, samuijimmy said:

There is a driving range on the Soi One road to Maenam, perhaps a kilometer or two up from Family Mart... Near Buddy's. complex... can't say I remember one where Makro is.... perhaps  I missed that!!! :omfg:

We seem to be getting a little off topic here! :shock1:

13 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

There are lots of things to do on  and around Samui .... even swimming at some of the waterfall pools... But other endless amount of attractions and sightseeing opportunities.around the island. 

In case someone is unfortunate enough to be stung by a Box  Jellyfish, have vinegar on hand...Never swim alone. 

These signs are posted around a number of beaches. 

IMG_8127.thumb.jpg.c10140d62885a95c66bee

Question is, if vinegar and salt water are proper treatment for any kind of Jellyfish injuries??

42 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Question is, if vinegar and salt water are proper treatment for any kind of Jellyfish injuries??

That has been discussed a couple of years ago in Thai Visa Forum ( you can search or google for it) – a long thread with many links to expert articles – I remember it as the majority said vinegar was, so far, the only sensible treatment; together with the advises on the sign in SamuiJimmy's photo – a plastic card (credit card) was also mentioned as a way to scrape tentacles off. 

I saw this fellow today at Maenam – look like it gave up, as it floated at seashore...

wJellyFish_IMG_5414.jpg

...does not look like the images I've seen of Box Jellyfish and Portuguese man-of-war (those written about at Phuket), but rather like an extended version of the ones in my childhood's Scandinavia waters; however, the small ones there could burn disgustingly with great pain for a child, and some grown-ups also.

The picture don't give much of a size, but it's about half meter or little more i diameter, excluding tentacles. Remember I've seen something like it, and in that size, at Rimini in Italy; their stings were said to be painful.

Anyone who knows this one, and if it's dangerous..?

I visited Samui once.  Hired a boat, took us a short distance away from the beach and anchored off an island for swimming/jet skiing.  The whole time I swam, my skin was irritated, like many pin pricks on my skin.   Was told it was sea lice.  It wasn't really painful, but after 10-15 minutes it was getting more irritating, so I got out and never went back in, or to Samui.   Recall similar experience in Phuket and once in Mazatlan, Mexico but didn't know what it was at the time. 

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2016/06/sea_lice_florida_coast.html

Archived