Bringing alcohol to thailand ? Limit authorized ?

april81

Having travelled here at least 5 times a year for nearly 20 years this year I can honestly say I have never had my bag xrayed/ examined in the nothing to declare line once at either Don Meuang or Suvarnabhumi coming off an international flight.  Now I am not recommending you bend any applicable laws regarding the importation of alcohol... but if you really wanted to bring a few bottles back with you I reckon you would be a pretty safe bet of not getting discovered. Worst case scenario you would be paying duty. Gawd for a few years there I was bringing 2 litres through every time in a clear duty free bag sitting on top of my baggage trolley and I am pretty sure the allowance is only 1. So the customs folk generally aren't the most attentive let's say.

If you buy wine or spirits at airport duty-free they'll place it in a sealed transparent bag with the receipt inside. That means you can take it onboard as hand luggage even though it exceeds the maximum 100ml normally allowed.

If it's not in a sealed transparent bag and exceeds 100ml it'll be confiscated.

You can of course place liquids in hold luggage but there's always a danger that they make break in transit.

Check your airline's policy regarding "liquids, banned and restricted items" section in order to determine how much you're allowed to transport. British Airways allows 5 litres per person but other airlines may differ.

Just now, Oxx said:

What British Airways allows is utterly irrelevant when it comes to coming to Thailand.  The limit is 1 litre.  End of story.

He can bring in 1 litre duty free and pay duty on the other four litres.

3 minutes ago, Xircal said:

He can bring in 1 litre duty free and pay duty on the other four litres.

Nope, Like Oxx said "It's a bit worse than that.  The penalties are draconian - and they confiscate the goods."

Bring in 5 Litres and you lose the lot AND get fined for trying.

If you want to bring in more than 1 litre (per person) you need a previously arranged import licence.

Andrew

7 minutes ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

Nope, Like Oxx said "It's a bit worse than that.  The penalties are draconian - and they confiscate the goods."

Bring in 5 Litres and you lose the lot AND get fined for trying.

If you want to bring in more than 1 litre (per person) you need a previously arranged import licence.

Andrew

2nd that

My fav booze is not available in LoS. Have been to swampy a few times and talked with the customs officials,

guys with heaps of gold on their shoulders.

They are crystal clear, 1 litre, full stop. No payment for over quota.

Import license needed for more than 1 litre.

However, they said that its a easy and a piece of cake to get the import licence

Last time through Suvarnabhumi they were putting everyone's luggage through the scanner. This was in early September. Lost two of my bottles of wine.

This happened before in July.  No fine both times just had to give up the wine.

3 hours ago, pj123 said:

Last time through Suvarnabhumi they were putting everyone's luggage through the scanner. This was in early September. Lost two of my bottles of wine.

This happened before in July.  No fine both times just had to give up the wine.

Everybody coming through the arrivals hall at Swampy was getting their baggage scanned? What thousands of people at 2 scanners? I'm sorry I find that very hard to believe