High Probability Of Bar Closure 16 Oct 2016

MrDK

Late 2014 the end of Buddhist Lent (Wan Awk Phansa) was announced as a fifth annual religious holiday that would be added to four others (Magha Puja (Makha Bucha), Visakha Bucha / Vesak Day, Asalha Puja Day, and Buddhist Lent Day (Wan Khao Phansa)) as a dry day starting 2015.

Many doubted that it would happen, but in 2015 it did become an addition.
Is it certain for 2016?
Time will tell, but if last year's enforcement is a barometer ... then yes.
My take is that the probability is very high.

For more info Google Wan Awk Phansa Bar Closure

Me fears that after the end of the Buddhist Lent (phansaa) that we might see more than a one day stretch that the bars will be closed.  You might want to stock up now on your favorite beverage as a hedge bet.

What is the relationship between religious holidays and enjoying a drink? Does abstinence somehow make one closer to god, if there is one? Is it showing respect? Will it make me a better person? This is just another example of 'religiosos' imposing their childish beliefs on the masses, as they do all over the world.

3 minutes ago, Saladin said:

What is the relationship between religious holidays and enjoying a drink? Does abstinence somehow make one closer to god, if there is one? Is it showing respect? Will it make me a better person? This is just another example of 'religiosos' imposing their childish beliefs on the masses, as they do all over the world.

Probably because some of the population would spend all day drinking and there would be carnage

3 minutes ago, elgenon said:

OK I can see no alcohol, but by closing the bars they limit the supply of girls. What's up with that? :shock1:

Bars still open and you can still buy soft drinks from there .

A plain Coke with no Whisky in it or just a plain cup of water from a large plastic cup from 7/11, as long as there no alcohol in it 

24 minutes ago, Saladin said:

Simple

There is no relationship (or very little) in the West but there is in Thailand.

There's no law saying you can't drink alcohol on religious holidays - there's is one saying you can't buy it.

Whether you understand this conservatism or not, applying Western "logic" to it will only give you a headache so, if a man is unable to go a day without being able to buy alcohol served by a fetching local woman, he should get his teerak to dress up in a mini-skirt and bring him a cold one.

57 minutes ago, Saladin said:

Also remember that bar owners and managers are trying to run a business, is it fair on them to close them down because of religious beliefs when a lot of them are struggling to keep going?

I have nothing to do with bars, do not know anyone who does, am a non drinker who hardly ever goes in to any bar. I am just stating what I believe is common sense.

36 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Simple

There's no law saying you can't drink alcohol on religious holidays - there's is one saying you can't buy it.

Whether you understand this conservatism or not, applying Western "logic" to it will only give you a headache so, if a man is unable to go a day without being able to buy alcohol served by a fetching local woman, he should get his teerak to dress up in a mini-skirt and bring him a cold one.

Please read my answer to Saladins post. It really applies to you.

Hi Possum1931, I think that to a certain degree I disagree with your comment about the business owners. Anybody opening a bar here, or an establishment selling alcohol must perform their due diligence checks. Part of due diligence would be finding out that in Thailand there are a certain number of days every year when they would not be allowed to sell alcohol. This would be taken into consideration when establishing the expected profitability of the proposed business venture.

In the event that the business is started and then is not doing very well, it is neither correct nor fair to expect Thailand to change it's rules to accommodate the business owner. It is up to the entrepreneur to find a successful solution whilst working within the rules.

My guess is that most "long term stay Farangs" are non-drinkers, and the ban won't be a problem, after all that's what's kept them alive this long, and also of course they're able to enjoy their lives in Thailand. To the sensible ones who drink moderately, more power to you, and buy in advance.

Edited by PeCeDe

5 minutes ago, MrBanks said:

Hi Possum1931, I think that to a certain degree I disagree with your comment about the business owners. Anybody opening a bar here, or an establishment selling alcohol must perform their due diligence checks. Part of due diligence would be finding out that in Thailand there are a certain number of days every year when they would not be allowed to sell alcohol. This would be taken into consideration when establishing the expected profitability of the proposed business venture.

In the event that the business is started and then is not doing very well, it is neither correct nor fair to expect Thailand to change it's rules to accommodate the business owner. It is up to the entrepreneur to find a successful solution whilst working within the rules.

This addition to the 'no alcohol' days was only added last year.

If you bought a bar previous to this you would not anticipate a closure.

2 hours ago, Saladin said:

" ...  imposing their childish beliefs on the masses, as they do all over the world. "

Given the petulant, childish response by some of the "masses," they aren't in a position to claim the higher ground.

masses.jpg One of the enlightened masses.

Edited by Suradit69

40 minutes ago, MrBanks said:

Thanks.

Saved me having to type it out

6 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

" ...  imposing their childish beliefs on the masses, as they do all over the world. "

Given the petulant, childish response by some of the "masses," they aren't in a position to claim the higher ground.

masses.jpg One of the enlightened masses.

Haha, brings back memories, (not good ones).

There are numerous barstools with my name on them, but I loved one in particular, it was in Long Island right outside the rail station, all us "buddies" after work would watch the trains to Manhattan going by, and in unison say, "well I missed that one!"

Here's a reminder, and I never did get the ring back.

1 hour ago, YeahSiam said:

Simple

' applying Western "logic"  '

Assuming this exists at all implies that all westerners are reading from the same page and in total agreement because of their shared philosophies and beliefs, all of which must be absent outside Farang Land. Two World Wars and the existence of Donald Trump, among many other things, make any claim to intellectual superiority or uniformity laughable.

35 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

This addition to the 'no alcohol' days was only added last year.

If you bought a bar previous to this you would not anticipate a closure.

If one additional day is the difference between sinking or swimming, maybe they should try another line of business

6 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Two World Wars and the existence of Donald Trump, among many other things, make any claim to intellectual superiority or uniformity laughable.

Yes, no other Countries have ever been in wars, apart from Western Countries and no other Country has ever had Trump esque Politicians .

Those lovely nice peaceful Eastern Japanese would never get involved in Wars or anything like that

Mrs Banks

Dear madam, i read your comments with interest,re bar owners finding solutions to closed bar days.

Well,my obviously naive,and gentle reader,over the years of being here,i have had and run two successful bars(not one shop unit's either) We adhered to all the religious closing days,and we still made financial profits to enable us to realise the things that we wanted.

My point is that,just because a bar is closed does not mean that its money making ability has ceased for that day.

There is still people who will want to have,get,or need a drink even on Buddha days.

You have to have the right staff and work on a 'carry out' system.

I will leave you to try and work out what that means.

Mee.wan dee.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Assuming this exists at all implies that all westerners are reading from the same page and in total agreement because of their shared philosophies and beliefs, all of which must be absent outside Farang Land. Two World Wars and the existence of Donald Trump, among many other things, make any claim to intellectual superiority or uniformity laughable.

A fundamental and major part of the Western belief system (Logic) is the supremacy of plurality (on a personal level "individuality") which is taken as agreed by the majority in the West, hence all the "confusion".

It's a hard life being a western "individual" and a drunk in the different belief system of the East (very much based on group compliance).  One would think that they would also apply "due diligence" before settling in its midst.  Now they're stuck with it.

I suppose they were too booze addled and c**tstruck to work that, and all the rest, out.  One of the drawbacks of staggering into "paradise" through the Pattaya Portal.

The gutters will be full of them in a few years time.

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Yes, no other Countries have ever been in wars, apart from Western Countries and no other Country has ever had Trump esque Politicians .

Those lovely nice peaceful Eastern Japanese would never get involved in Wars or anything like that

Suradit seems to be pointing out that the West is able to bring as much folly to the table as anyone. 

Which is a long way from claiming that the East is more virtuous, as you seem to have inferred from his post.

But where do they get these whacky ideas? Did Buddha decree that alcohol was off the menu on certain days? I doubt it. These rules and regulations are imposed on the populace by bureaucrats and religious witch doctors who know best how we should be living our lives. I am against drunkeness and unruly behaviour but where's the harm in enjoying a quiet drink in a bar or restaurant?

9 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Simple

There are laws limiting the sale of alcohol all day on Sundays, or during church hours on Sundays in many counties in the US--and those laws apply every Sunday. Similarly, many counties are dry, period, with no alcohol sales allowed.

8 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

:) While I do  agree with the op  comment I applaud the rebuttal of the "western"  logic !

The problem with these bar closures is that the only people they affect are the tourists,here to have a good time and relax.
The Thai locals know to stock up on their booze for these occasions and also know all the Mom 'n' Pop stores that will sell to them on these days,so it is just holidaymakers that are caught on the hop who are not Buddhists anyway,ridiculous!