Thai Transport Min to lay out action plan to avert road accidents

webfact

Ministry of Transport to lay out action plan to avert road accidents

acc.jpg

BANGKOK, 6 October 2016 (NNT) - The Ministry of Transport is taking steps to lay out an action plan to prevent and reduce road accidents between 2016 and 2017 in the wake of an official report that Thailand has ranked second in the world's most road mishaps. 

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpitayapaisit, who presided over a workshop on anti-accident measures, quoted the report of the World Health Organization as saying Thailand ranked second among the countries where most of the road accidents had occurred in 2015. 

About 16,000 road accidents had taken place in this country, accounting for one to two deaths on hourly basis throughout last year, the WHO report says. An estimated 200 billion baht in economic losses, registering 1.7 percent of the Gross Domestic Product, had been attributed by such road mishaps, according to the WHO report. 

Many road accidents might possibly result from driving on slippery roads in rainy season or driving carelessly or driving under the influence. The types of automobiles involved in the road mishaps included sedans, pickup trucks, heavy-duty trucks and buses. 

The workshop was a brainstorming session to formulate a comprehensive action plan to prevent road accidents from this year until next.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-06

they can start by making he drivers/riders adhere to the road rules, get the police to actually patrol the roads and make all buses and trucks undergo safety checks on their brakes. Maybe if they started crushing all the bikes and cars of those that are unlicensed/unregistered/under aged drivers/riders it would remove a lot of the idiots as well but then again, this is Thailand, they will do bugger all once more

Maybe if driving tests were conducted on actual roads,instead of

in a car park,but they might have a problem finding tester's brave

enough to get in the car. its too easy to get a driving licence here,

last time I was at the test center to renew my licence there was

a very old Thai man,he said he could not see what was on the 

board,so they took him away,later on I seen him walking away 

with a new licence.

regards Worgeordie

The first thing they should do is cancel rain in built up areas at certain times of the day and night. The PM may even have to invoke Section 44 to achieve this.

Also brake testing stations at the tops of hills leading into metropolitan areas (we all know especially which hill). Black boxes need to be installed in all large buses (seriously). Min-buses should be speed governed. The derelict buses in Bangkok city should be replaced as a matter of urgency to encourage more people to use public transport to reduce the number of vehicles on the roads. Stupid childish police flags and silly signs need to be throw in the rubbish bin and the idiot who created them sacked.

1.jpg

2.jpg

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe if driving tests were conducted on actual roads,instead of

in a car park,but they might have a problem finding tester's brave

enough to get in the car. its too easy to get a driving licence here,

last time I was at the test center to renew my licence there was

a very old Thai man,he said he could not see what was on the 

board,so they took him away,later on I seen him walking away 

with a new licence.

regards Worgeordie

the system in Cambodia is a bit weird because there they take learner drivers onto actual roads from the very beginning of their tuition (much more chaotic than here) but then they are tested back in a compound (or car park like environment as you referred to)

31 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Didn't they find out a few weeks ago, that traffic- jams are caused by too many cars?

Wouldn't it be logical, that accidents could be avoided by reducing the number of ...cars?

But after that energy draining brain - storming on traffic jams,  you couldn't really expect any clear thinking to be applied to traffic accidents, could you?

"...Many road accidents might possibly result from driving on slippery roads in rainy season or driving carelessly or driving under the influence. The types of automobiles involved in the road mishaps included sedans, pickup trucks, heavy-duty trucks and buses..."

WRONG !!!

Incredulously, it seems the anti-accident measures workshop has not recognised "speed" as a factor. And, more laughingly, it appears they have completely missed the significance of the WHO observation (in their report), that 72.8% of road user deaths in Thailand were to Drivers/Passengers of motorized 2- or 3- wheelers !!!

Another load of bul....t, Transport ministry should teach people here how to drive, because non of the buggers know how to.

Stop at red lights, drive the correct way on the road, not driving the wrong way against the traffic because it is quicker, just to save a few seconds, give way at roundabouts.

Set a proper drivinfg test, make everyone pass it. Not just a colour rest, or slipping  few baht under the table.

If what i have posted was already in force i would not be  paraplegic.

My wife's Son just payed 3,000 baht under the table (key money) to get his drives license, I told my wife this is so wrong.

She said 80% of all Thai here do this,  it just the way we do it now....The Thai Way.

So I told her that your Son will never drive my truck....EVER!

That's the American way...lol

1 hour ago, doggie1955 said:

My wife's Son just payed 3,000 baht under the table (key money) to get his drives license, I told my wife this is so wrong.

She said 80% of all Thai here do this,  it just the way we do it now....The Thai Way.

a tad expensive

1 hour ago, doggie1955 said:

He was done, normal price is 1-1500, must have killed thousands over the years :saai:

Edited by thai3

Most Westerners could come up with a list of 30 ways to make Thai roads safer, probably more, but we'll no doubt see a couple of token measures that will mostly be ignored until they're forgotten about altogether.

Incidentally, that fourth paragraph in the OP looks like it came straight from a seven year old's essay about road accidents.

Of all the things we could come up with and as said there would be lots, the police actually enforcing what they have already have would be a good start, I get stopped all the time for a license check, I love the crestfallen look when I say sure and show my license, but what also happens while Im there are thais riding by no helmets, three clearly young children on a bike etc etc. and as I have said before get the idiots off the footpaths both farang and thais.

Another ''Plan'' and another ''Brainstorming Session''.   I've lost count of the amount of these there has been in the last five years.    Shame they don't try actually DOING SOMETHING instead of just talking.    Words....and lives, are very cheap in this broken society.

The second-worst road carnage on the planet and their response is what... a WORKSHOP???

While a group of functionaries are mulling it over, over tea and finger sandwiches, how about... oh I don't know, maybe... STRICT AND CONSISTENT ENFORCEMENT OF EXISTING TRAFFIC RULES!!!

Edited by fstarbkk

1) Get the Police on the roads doing the job they are paid to do. If they are not there, the big station boss gets the blame. Use the army to assist. Keep the vehicle keys until the fine is paid at a Police Station.

2) Raise significantly the penalties for ALL motoring offences, with drunk driving IN ALL CASES, having a custodial sentence. Keep records of fines etc on the computer, and double the previous penalty every time there is a further offence. That will soon snowball

3) For many offences, it would be reasonable to confiscate the vehicle (ownership irrelevant) for a minimjum 2 week period. They would think twice next time before breaking the law.