Can't deposit an IRS refund check at Kbank

K bank did this to me too, however they banged their stamp onto the front and back of the check, I then took the check to my Bangkok bank account where I have deposited IRS refunds before only to be told they could not accept the check due to the stamps, I had to return the check to IRS in USA and have them issue me a new one.

i closed my account with k bank.

as a side note I get a private pension fund check mailed to me every month from the USA, take it to my local Bkk bank in Korat , the fee is two hundred baht and the money is in my account the following day.

long story why I don't have them send it to Bkk in NY and have it sent on to my account so don't ask.

7 hours ago, Tracyb said:

You may use the New York Branch routing number to send funds directly to your account at Bangkok Bank in Thailand.... any branch in the country.  See their website for detailed information.  Cheers!

But n your previous post you said:

"

7 hours ago, Tracyb said:
11 hours ago, partington said:

There are no individual customer accounts at Bangkok Bank in New York. It is not a retail bank and does not offer this service, though it does operate as a correspondent bank as part of its commercial activities.

As I mentioned, the Bangkok Bank in New York is used IN CONJUNCTION with a Bangkok Bank account one opens in Thailand.  You may use the New York Branch routing number to send funds directly to your account at Bangkok Bank in Thailand.... any branch in the country.  See their website for detailed information.  Cheers!

The function you describe above  is what the words "correspondent bank" mean, and that's fine.

However in your previous post you specifically say that you think you can open an account at Bangkok Bank New York:

"perhaps have your refunds sent from the IRS to the an account you open at Bangkok Bank-New York in conjunction with an account here in Thailand at the Bangkok Bank"

I was just making clear that you can't, and the correspondent bank activity does not mean you have any account at Bangkok Bank New York.

I used to deposit a personal check on my US bank to transfer my monthly retirement funds into UOB. Took about a week to clear. Then  about a year ago the time to clear increased to about 3 weeks. Switched to on-line banking and transfer to my Bangkok Bank account in usually about 3 days. No problems since I switched.

Personally, I would take the check back to them and politely mention that they would either be accepting a perfectly legitimate check from a US Government Agency or you will be forced to close the account out.

If they still won't comply, then close the account, head to your nearest Bangkok Bank and open a new account. Then you can just have all future checks from the states direct deposited into the NY branch of Bangkok Bank w/o paying any fees.

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Personally, I would take the check back to them and politely mention that they would either be accepting a perfectly legitimate check from a US Government Agency or you will be forced to close the account out.

If they still won't comply, then close the account, head to your nearest Bangkok Bank and open a new account. Then you can just have all future checks from the states direct deposited into the NY branch of Bangkok Bank w/o paying any fees.

Wrong about no fees.  Their are two associated Bangkok Bank fees....one is a NY branch flow thru fee and the other your in-Thailand branch receiving fee.  Say you were getting a $1,000 refund directed deposited....the two fees would be $5 NY branch fee which is sliced off as the transfer flows through the NY branch....$995 arrives Thailand where Bangkok Bank first converts it to baht by using their TT Buying Rate and then deduct the 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max) fee.

Say the exchange rate was Bt35/USD......35 times 995 equals Bt34,825.   0.25% of Bt34,825 is Bt87 not reaching the Bt200 minimum fee level so the Bt200 ($5.71) amount is charged/deducted from Bt34,825 leaving Bt34,625 which is then posted to your account.   Total fees $10.71....and neither of these fees will appears anywhere on your account as they are applied before posting to your account...this fools a lot of people into thinking no fees were applied....but they indeed were.  Expect most refunds fall in the under $2,000 ballpark which means a person will pay almost $11 in fees to Bangkok Bank each  time.   But still a heck of lot cheaper than during a SWIFT transfer or trying to cash a paper check in Thailand.

Capture.JPG

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

19 hours ago, partington said:

There are no individual customer accounts at Bangkok Bank in New York. It is not a retail bank and does not offer this service, though it does operate as a correspondent bank as part of its commercial activities.

I set up my Bangkok Bank account with Schwab in the US.  I can now transfer funds to Bangkok Bank New York which deposits the funds into my branch in Thailand.  The setup was the same as Schwab uses for any other US based bank.  Neat!  

I set up my Bangkok Bank account with Schwab in the US.  I can now transfer funds to Bangkok Bank New York which deposits the funds into my branch in Thailand.  The setup was the same as Schwab uses for any other US based bank.  Neat!  

Just to be more specfic you setup an ACH "funds transfer link" to your Bangkok Bank account like you can do to or with any of your US bank accounts. I have the same transfer link setup with my varoius U.S. banks (including Schwab) to my Bangkok Bank accts.

There are a number of ways to solve this, many of which have been posted here.  Since it's a reasonable amount of money watch out for the "hidden fee" the banks charge when they exchange US for foreign currency.  In addition to the fee they charge to cash the check, they give a lower exchange rate ... 5-8% less than the interbank rate.

There are no hidden fees - all are outlined on Bank websites or available from staff.  Suspect you are talking the normal foreign transfer fee of 1/4% (normally only in range of 200-500 baht deduction).  And the exchange rates are always better directly from bank than from any other normal exchange method.  

Many banks now have a service called mobile check deposit.  You download and install their app on your mobile phone and follow instructions.

It works something like this:

Open bank downloaded app on you mobile

Enter amount to deposit

Enter account number

Take photo front of check

Take photo back of endorsed check

Hit send

Wait for your conformation of receipt

Close app

Archived