Can't deposit an IRS refund check at Kbank

I have a  refund check from the IRS  due to a fairly  complicated overpay  matter with my taxes  last year.    It’s for less than 100USD.   I asked the Missus to deposit it  at Kasikorn bank for the sole  purpose of reinforcing my presence in Thailand for the IRS.   

The Missus took the check to a mall branch of Kbank and  was directed to take it to the branch in town where I opened my account.   

I am a long time customer with the bank and  maintain a balance that   well exceeds the retirement minimum.

The Missus, as directed,  went to the local branch  and spoke with  a man who sat at a desk in  the bank.   He was not a teller.   (Bank Officer?)  He told the Missus the check needed to be signed on the back one more time in a parallel  fashion on the check.   This  is in addition to where it's  officially designated to sign the check on the back.

She returned to the bank today and sat in from of the same  man who instructed  her how the check needed to be signed once more.   She brought to the mans attention that she’d spoken with him earlier.

Now the man asked her to  wait a minute and spoke with his superior who apparently instructed him that the bank only accepts foreign checks from Social Security for retirees.

The superior apologized to the  Missus, for the misunderstanding explaining that the “Officer” does not know so much.        I appreciate the apology but know the superior will  in all likelihood fail to give  any additional training the the desk employee on banking policy.   

I’m thankful the bank didn’t put a canopy of stamps on the check  but now I wonder..

Is it common for  Kbank  or any other Thai bank to refuse a foreign  based check?     While I realize the USA is generally detested on  the TV  site, there is little denying the check I presented is good as long as the IRS is an agency of the US Government.

My feeling now is what if I wrote a personal check to someone in Thailand for a few thousand USD?    Would the bank turn it’s nose up at it?   I was fully prepared  to receive far, far less than half the written value on  the  IRS check.

This is not a matter of delay in having the funds available.   The bank  flat out refused to accept the check for deposit.

Anyone know the Thai Banking policy on accepting  foreign  checks for deposit?    What am I missing?

I had US Government check declined more than 35 years ago when they accepted personal or company checks so nothing new.  Only a few banks will even accept foreign checks (foreign currency banks) and do not get the impression they are welcome anywhere regardless of originating country.  Thailand seldom uses checks for domestic transactions and as electronic transfers have become more common not much chance of checks ever gaining popularity.   They are going the way of the telephone booth.

thailand15.jpg

Just stumbled upon a change of conditions at a German bank (Postbank).

No more foreign (currency) checks accepted from April next year.

Only checks in Euro to be credited in Germany will be accepted.

no foreign checks, how would they clear it, even if they did you could expect a fee that would make it not worth it.  But if you have a US bank account and i'm sure you do, contact your US bank and ask them for their deposit by mail option, both WF and BoA have that, you can mail it to back the US, even standard mail, and they will deposit it.

2 minutes ago, pkspeaker said:

no foreign checks, how would they clear it, even if they did you could expect a fee that would make it not worth it.  But if you have a US bank account and i'm sure you do, contact your US bank and ask them for their deposit by mail option, both WF and BoA have that, you can mail it to back the US, even standard mail, and they will deposit it.

Actually most US banks offer on-line deposit of checks these days - some may charge for it but others offer free.  USAA is both free and immediate credit to account.  Only need is scanner to get copy of front/back into your computer.

I had the same problem getting the Kasikorn Bank at branches in Udonthani to cash and deposit a check for over $1,500 from my health provider.  Perhaps if I had had my "yellow household registration book", other banks like Bangkok Bank would have cashed it,  About eight years ago I was able to get the Kasikorn Bank to cash U.S. checks if they were over $50.  If I were you, I would have any payments from the U.S. direct deposited into a U.S. bank.

I had US Government check declined more than 35 years ago when they accepted personal or company checks so nothing new.  Only a few banks will even accept foreign checks (foreign currency banks) and do not get the impression they are welcome anywhere regardless of originating country.  Thailand seldom uses checks for domestic transactions and as electronic transfers have become more common not much chance of checks ever gaining popularity.   They are going the way of the telephone booth.
thailand15.jpg

In agree. I bank with KBank and BBL (both at their HQ offices Ratburana and Silom) and I've asked about this ... They answer was very similar to your summation - they would accept them BUT under very limited situations and requires more approvals to do so-- the implied meaning was "please don't"

I've found it easier to simply mail the check back to the US (via regular postal mail) to one of my US banks and deposit it the traditional way. If I need the funds in Thailand, then I'll do a transfer via BBLs NY office ...

sure, it's not as simple as depositing it here in Thailand, but I don't think the timeline would be radically different either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just a thought....  In future, perhaps have your refunds sent from the IRS to the an account you open at Bangkok Bank-New York in conjunction with an account here in Thailand at the Bangkok Bank.  You'll be able to demonstrate movement of those funds to you in Thailand.

Well, I think what you are missing is that this is not only not an everyday piece of banking business, but probably kind of a pain in the butt for them. It possibly has been several years since this bank branch has seen such a check and the "officer" - probably never. 

Can you imagine going into some bank branch in USA w/a check drawn in Thai baht? How much confusion would that create? The teller would be sending the check to Taiwan... 

ps. Any refunds that I am due from IRS, I just apply to the next years taxes... and I still have accounts in USA - it is just easier that way... 

And I am not saying you should not do it your way, but for me, with banks and most paperwork, I try and avoid complications and take the simplest route... good luck. 

JUst did this within the last month. I also received an IRS check. I signed it and marked it for deposit only into my US Bank Account-Sent it to the US by Express Thai Mail-cost 1100 Baht-  it was in my account in 5 days and I then used  my ATM card to take it out here in Thailand. You can also use Registered Mail- it is about 150 to 200 Baht. This beats using a Thai bank to clear a check as a Thai Bank will charge minimum 300 Baht and it can take upto 45 days. 

One option, and I don't know if you have a bank that offers this. One-line bank account, endorse and photo of front and back of check. Deposit to same account on-line. I've done it a number of times with a US based bank and it works flawlessly. Good luck.

14 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I'm just wondering how is the Thai bank supposed to get the actual money stated on the check?

By depositing it into a US account (in this case) and then converting the $ into baht.  Not hard - and in the case of Bangkok Bank they have ability to do it online for some types of checks.  But the need for such action is just about nill these days of electronic transfers so most do not want to be bothered.   The OP appears to have tax reasons to make it appear using Thai accounts so has opted to use this relic system and having issues.

18 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I'm just wondering how is the Thai bank supposed to get the actual money stated on the check?

Are you serious? Thai banks have branches or correspondent banks in the US. International trade involves billions of dollars. Welcome to the 19th century (and beyond).

5 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Just a thought....  In future, perhaps have your refunds sent from the IRS to the an account you open at Bangkok Bank-New York in conjunction with an account here in Thailand at the Bangkok Bank.  You'll be able to demonstrate movement of those funds to you in Thailand.

There are no individual customer accounts at Bangkok Bank in New York. It is not a retail bank and does not offer this service, though it does operate as a correspondent bank as part of its commercial activities.

This is a great example why I just pay the ATM fee,  their system is not even backwards and once was told by a Expat that is being kind.  Their system is something in the 50's?

Banks do not know the right hand from the left.. and it isn't just banks. 

OP

I know your pain.  For 4 years I have been cashing Cdn Veterans affairs cheques at Kbank Futurepark.  First one they told me that they could not cash anything under 100 cdn.  Ok made sense no issues.  Since then i have been going in quarterly and cashing my cheques.  Then last month they told me tht they could not as there was a temporary hold on cashing any foreign cheques at ANY KBANK OUTLETS.  Even the main branch.  

They told me it was temporary but the notice I saw was effective may so Temporary is just a word LOL.Am now attempting to route through a canadian bank although they seemed to think that BB can and will cash them.

3 hours ago, partington said:

There are no individual customer accounts at Bangkok Bank in New York. It is not a retail bank and does not offer this service, though it does operate as a correspondent bank as part of its commercial activities.

As I mentioned, the Bangkok Bank in New York is used IN CONJUNCTION with a Bangkok Bank account one opens in Thailand.  You may use the New York Branch routing number to send funds directly to your account at Bangkok Bank in Thailand.... any branch in the country.  See their website for detailed information.  Cheers!

Not quite that simple as US Government checks require repayment if issued in fraud so BBL account can not have anything but in-person access.  It is used by some for SS payments and such but suspect most people would be better served keeping a US account open and make there own transfers when needed.  That way a normal account can be used so no need to visit bank every time you want to make a withdrawal and you have USD account available for overseas expenses.  

Maybe this is a stupid question, but can't you just ask the US govenment to send you the funds via wire transfer instead of cheques?  Surely they have accounts somewhere and it is a lot smaller hassle nowadays to have it transferred than writing cheques.

Sure...the IRS does direct deposit...in fact, 8 out 10 people choose their refund to be via direct deposit.  But if the individual does not have a U.S. bank account or wants a check for whatever reason the the IRS will send the refund via check.  You get what you ask for.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-your-refund-faster-tell-irs-to-direct-deposit-your-refund-to-one-two-or-three-accounts?_ga=1.19219640.1484191916.1475851981

Direct Deposit Your Refund

Direct Deposit: The Best and Fastest Way to Get Your Refund

The best and fastest way to get your tax refund is to have it electronically deposited for free into your financial account. The IRS program is called direct deposit. You can use it to deposit your refund into one, two or even three accounts.

Eight out of 10 taxpayers get their refunds by using Direct Deposit. It is simple, safe and secure. This is the same electronic transfer system used to deposit nearly 98 percent of all Social Security and Veterans Affairs benefits into millions of accounts.

Combining direct deposit with IRS e-File is the fastest way to receive your refund. IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in less than 21 days. You can track your refund using our Where’s My Refund? tool.

Archived