Welcome to Thai roads: Singapore businessman wrecks his Ferrari!

webfact

Welcome to Thai roads: Singapore businessman wrecks his Ferrari!

p4.jpg

Image: Thairath

PHUKET: -- Pictures of a 20 million baht Ferrari wrecked in Phuket after hitting a tree were posted on Facebook yesterday.

Five shots of the red super-car were posted by "Chukiat Ayuperm" showing the front of the car smashed in and the bonnet buckled. No one was hurt, reports Thairath.

The accident happened after the car slid off the wet road in front of Ariya Co Ltd on the Chalermprakiat R9 Road, Phuket.

The owner is believed to be part of the "Ferrari Owners Club of Singapore and Team Marshall of Penang". The group comprising 24 Ferraris and 10 big bikes had driven to Thailand to make merit at a temple in Phuket and hand out money and donations to under privileged children in the province.

The club comprises wealthy businessmen in  Singapore and Malaysia who do good deeds in their countries and Thailand. They were on a trip to Phuket from October 6 - 9th.

The report said a Ferrari like the one in the accident would be worth at least 20 million baht.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-07

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never mind. He is a rich man, he can afford repairs/replacement. Now how can he save face ...

And ... 20 million baht might be the list price but in Singapore there are huge registration fees which are offered once a year and subject to bidding. Often the fee is as much again as the vehicle.

Edited by LivinginKata

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

<snip>

20 mio Baht?

I doubt that you get a new Ferrari that cheap in Thailand.

I met a Thai guy in C Cube car care place. He had just bought a Ferrari,  no idea what model but he said it cost him 25 million baht. Mind you hat was over 5 years ago.

Edited by LivinginKata

10 minutes ago, konfuzed said:

its likely not the car or the road, but the driver...  more than likely driving too fast for the conditions - and the conditions do include the road....

Indeed the "Thai roads" headline is suggestive.

It's the driver.

Bad weather, rain, too fast, super broad tires, push the pedal and off you go.

Laws of physics are widely unknown in SEA.

I remember this Thai "traveling businessman" always in a rush.

He smashed his 38 mio Lamborghini into pieces alone on a straight upcountry road.

Magically he escaped little harmed.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Those cars/super cars have a very high crash rate....People that buy them can't drive them....

They are used to driving cars not racing cars - everything is different power & handling wise....Especially under extremes.....

In the US the Vipers had almost a 70% accident rate in under a year....

I'm sure the new muscle cars do too....Anybody can buy them....

The smart people take theirs to the nearest race track & get lessons - others use trees to learn.....

He's probably the laughing stock of his club/fraternity now - unless he's the big dog/richest.......

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Those cars/super cars have a very high crash rate....People that buy them can't drive them....

They are used to driving cars not racing cars - everything is different power & handling wise....Especially under extremes.....

In the US the Vipers had almost a 70% accident rate in under a year....

I'm sure the new muscle cars do too....Anybody can buy them....

The smart people take theirs to the nearest race track & get lessons - others use trees to learn.....

He's probably the laughing stock of his club/fraternity now - unless he's the big dog/richest.......

Probably a good reason to ban 'em from public roads.

That's a Ferrari 458 Italia. Doubt one can get it for 'just' THB2m. Especially not in Singapore. Even in Malaysia where the import duties are lower, it's going for a little more than that. But, it's not the newest model (the newest being the 488 GTB) so if one bought it second hand, it might be closer to the THB2m bracket.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

A Ferrari is not THE vehicle for wet roads during rainy season.

Maybe he wasn't aware :wink:

20 mio Baht?

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

A Ferrari is not THE vehicle for wet roads during rainy season.

Maybe he wasn't aware :wink:

20 mio Baht?

Im not sure where you get that info from. I drove a Ferrari 458 Italia across Italy in the rain. AutoStrada and back country roads s somrimes at 250km/h+. The thing. Stuck like glue

IMG_5302.JPG

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Never mind. He is a rich man, he can afford repairs/replacement. Now how can he save face ...

And ... 20 million baht might be the list price but in Singapore there are huge registration fees which are offered once a year and subject to bidding. Often the fee is as much again as the vehicle.

The COE ( the certificate of entitlement ) are bid for but on a luxury car like the Ferrari it would have been guaranteed before purchase. The cost of the COE is nowhere near the price of the car but only last for 10 years. It's basically just an expensive pre-paid road tax.

7 minutes ago, sahibji said:

pray why is that so? 

9 minutes ago, sahibji said:

pray why is that so? 

Sorry I can't help you understand my meaning. The subtlety of my comment is obviously excessive for you. Others will know what I mean.

30 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

The COE ( the certificate of entitlement ) are bid for but on a luxury car like the Ferrari it would have been guaranteed before purchase. The cost of the COE is nowhere near the price of the car but only last for 10 years. It's basically just an expensive pre-paid road tax.

Maybe it's all changed since I lived in Singapore 20+ years ago. Back then I studied these 'auction' details in the Straits Times. Mercedes are very popular in Singapore and looked like almost as much paid at action as the purchase price.

And yes, after 10 years they are supposed to junk the car !!!

I can't help from laughing when I see this type of explanation for an accident.  "The accident happened after the car slid off the wet road..."  So, it's the cars fault, not the driver?  Watch for these kinds of descriptions. 

Edited by jlwilliamsjr18

1 minute ago, LivinginKata said:

Maybe it's all changed since I lived in Singapore 20+ years ago. Back then I studied these 'auction' details in the Straits Times. Mercedes are very popular in Singapore and looked like almost as much paid at action as the purchase price.

And yes, after 10 years they are supposed to junk the car !!!

Process hasn't changed much. Just the price of the COE. When I lived there ( For 10 yrs) it was average around 30K Sing dollars for a car and 5 bucks for a motorcycle.

The price for the current 488 Ferrari is close to a million Sing dollars without the COE. The COE will only be a fraction on top of that. Even for  category E (Open COE ) Currently 54K Sing.  

Cars over 1600cc/130 bhp have a higher COE and luxury/sports are higher still, hence the 5k premium over the Cat A at 51K. 

"The club comprises wealthy businessmen in  Singapore and Malaysia who do good deeds in their countries and Thailand."

The only deed they are interested in is showing off….driving down the KL highway in a huge train….there was once a pile up with one of these idiots where a number of them were totalled.