Im sick of the music noise in Thailand

advancebooking

Everywhere I go there is noise from music. This morning at the Sunday markets the music was really loud and annoying. At the carpark of Robinsons its loud and also inside when looking in the mens clothing area. At the small Tesco lotus they have the music and tesco ads up loud. At my work they play music on loud speakers outside. At the zoo in karat they play annoying music on some of the outside speakers. In most restaurants and cafes where I live there is annoying music. <deleted>.

Ive now resorted to asking them to turn down the volume at most places I go to. We need to educate the masses. I want to start a nationwide movement to reduce the sound of loud music in public areas. Please click like on this thread to show your support for this movement. 

thanks in advance

advance booking 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lostinissan, you really are lost, is their any thing/post you don't respond to with total negativity and hatred? Maybe you need to get a ticket out. The person is making a comment that is valid. And after the party is over and we live here permanently things like this can become unbearable and so I already have deiced to leave.

I hate the loud music/announcements in the malls, also loud motobikes everywhere.

Yes the thai monks also play very loud music, glad i don't live close to them.

You can do as that dutch guy in myanmar, go to the temple and pull the connector out from the amplifier....he goes to jail 3 months for that though.

many moons ago when I was young and had a half decent voice I was with a band, gave me some great insight to adjusting  the amps so that the music etc wasnt distorted. At the new year party at my wifes work last year they had hired a sound system for the night but had the bass and treble set really badly so that the music was distorting  plus like most thais they had the volume set as loud as it would go so I went over and adjusted the bass/treble so the music no longer distorted and was much better to listen too. The idiots were back there within minutes and set it back the way it was because I presume it was just a bit louder, the fact that the bass was set as low as it could go so that it buggered up the music and wasnt balanced with the treble meant nothing, I am convinced all these idiots are deaf and cannot hear anything below full volume, the fact that it sounds like total sh*t never comes into it, you only have to listen the the crap sound coming from their cars etc, they have no idea how to balance the tone or adjust the volume

I love the loudness personally, apart from when it's that Thai rave music getting blasted. Not a fan.

Places like Soho and Camden High Street was always my favourite parts of my city. Loud and lots of hustle and bustle.  I can understand people from more quiet backgrounds having issues with the levels of noise.

2 hours ago, elephant45 said:

lostinissan, you really are lost, is their any thing/post you don't respond to with total negativity and hatred? Maybe you need to get a ticket out. The person is making a comment that is valid. And after the party is over and we live here permanently things like this can become unbearable and so I already have deiced to leave.

I only gave you an honest answer. I'm only wondering why such things do not annoy me. That's why you better go home to mom. 

This forum is getting so ridiculous that I look at it less and less, and now that the classifieds is permanently shut down, I think....not much point.

You seem to look for negative things in your life to have something, or somebody to blame. Now it's the forum. Just don't look at it anymore and you won't be annoyed of the shut down classifieds. 

I had a huge fight with a similar guy who's so upset that a flower selling woman took 25, instead of the usual 20 baht.

I tried to calm him down but he found more and more points that would suck for him. I told him in his face why he wouldn't get the shit out of the country, better today than tomorrow. Have a good flight and don't forget a present for mom. 

And you seem to be one of these guys.  

Edited by lostinisaan

About 6 months ago in NST while shopping for a washer for my MIL, we pulled up to Power Buy. We were the only customers at the time, so I pulled up in front. They had very large speakers outside blaring music and other nonsense at a full 10. I walked up to the machine, found the power plug and pulled it. Best feeling ever. We were unmolested by crap music during our visit. We did buy a washing machine.

Its true what you say about mr lost in san. Ive started to not read his comments over the years. He has to be one of the most hated members on this forum

I have gotten used to the loud music over the years. I got broken in in a very unpleasant way. I lived in a housing development that had many muslims. We had a small lake between where I lived and where they had their loud speakers. Their crap blasted across that pond. My townhouse was furnished by the company I worked for. I demanded the company furnish a different location.for me to live. They refused and I quit. True story.

I have often complained at Big C about the noise from all the Tanoys and speakers placed around the place. I once called the manager on the mobile whilst standing near some speakers ... she complained that she couldn't hear what I was saying.  The following week the music had been turned down, but that didn't last long.

Now I take my noise cancelling ear plugs and listen to quiet music while shopping there.

Recently, I saw an interview with the British astronaut Tim Peaks. He said that the first thing he noticed when he came back to earth was the smell. The first thing I noticed last time I went back home was the quietness.

Eery really.

Actually I only have issues when I walk into a store and they have 3 or 4 20 year old girls screaming in their Mic selling something.  I have seen it in Big C, Tesco, various malls.  I just walked away from it

1 hour ago, lostinisaan said:

You seem to look for negative things in your life to have something, or somebody to blame. Now it's the forum. Just don't look at it anymore and you won't be annoyed of the shut down classifieds. 

I had a huge fight with a similar guy who's so upset that a flower selling woman took 25, instead of the usual 20 baht.

I tried to calm him down but he found more and more points that would suck for him. I told him in his face why he wouldn't get the shit out of the country, better today than tomorrow. Have a good flight and don't forget a present for mom. 

And you seem to be one of these guys.  

Pathetic as usual.

13 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Actually I only have issues when I walk into a store and they have 3 or 4 20 year old girls screaming in their Mic selling something.  I have seen it in Big C, Tesco, various malls.  I just walked away from it

Walk away from it and 10 meters further along is the next group, move along and the next, move along.......

After living in Vietnam for years, I have gotten used to it. In Thailand it is actually quite low.

In Vietnam, you will bleed out of your ears, when you return home from a normal shopping trip and I am sure that 99% of all people working these places must be deaf. 

Edited by khunpa

Noise pollution has been a major issue for me also.  nearly 20 yrs residing in northern Thailand, and visiting here for a third of a century, it's pervasive.  It's also rude, but Thais don't know its rude.  I've gone to talk to police, to village headman, Thai friends, .....all of them just grin uncomfortably and shrug their shoulders.  If there are any laws against offensive noise, they're not enforced.   A just drove a friend to the airport to permanently return to his farang country.  His #1 beef: excessive noise.  I'm also planning to leave, but have some things to sell first.  

It's particularly annoying to musicians like myself, because we're more sensitive to sound than the average person.  I sometimes wonder how a top notch musician like Stevie Wonder would handle Thailand.  I wouldn't doubt he would be compelled to leave within hours.  My mom might not mind, but she was 90% deaf in her old age.

I will like many other things in SEA, never really understand the "Logic" behind it. I guess the "Logic" is that the more loud it is, the more people it will attract. 

Last time I was in Central, I noticed a sexy girl shouting into a microphone, trying to sell clothes. No one was anywhere near her or the clothes she was selling. I wonder if they ever tried, just having the girl shut up and just look sexy... Guess not.

People move into a cheap house in a shitty neighbourhood then get on TV forums complaining about how inconsiderate their neighbours are.

If you don't like the noise near your house, move to a more upmarket neighbourhood.

If you don't like the noise at Tesco, shop at Gourmet Foodhalls, Tops Market, Villa Market or Foodland.

If you don't like the noise at cafes and restaurants, go to more upmarket establishments.

Many retail outlets popular with Thais know that music louder appeals to their customers (mostly ordinary Thais).

They don't give a shit about what some farang thinks nor should they.

6 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Why don't you just go back where you came from? Enjoy your flight. 

Ok. However, that does not change the fact that he has a valid point.  Perhaps, you just turn down or turn off your hearing aid(s). However, for those of us who wish to  preserve our hearing and who understand the detrimental effects this   pollution has on  public health & safety and the environment, we welcome someone speaking up.

We all get it. You want to be more  Thai than a Thai and if that means  going deaf then you will do it.  We don't want to be deaf and living in the boonies. Know why? When the drunk comes tearing  along on a road we are walking on, we want to hear the truck so we can get out of the way. We also want to hear the birds singing, our children talking to us and the telly at a low volume. We don't want to force people to scream at us so that they can be heard above the ambient noise.  Capiche?

5 hours ago, seajae said:

many moons ago when I was young and had a half decent voice I was with a band, gave me some great insight to adjusting  the amps so that the music etc wasnt distorted. At the new year party at my wifes work last year they had hired a sound system for the night but had the bass and treble set really badly so that the music was distorting  plus like most thais they had the volume set as loud as it would go so I went over and adjusted the bass/treble so the music no longer distorted and was much better to listen too. The idiots were back there within minutes and set it back the way it was because I presume it was just a bit louder, the fact that the bass was set as low as it could go so that it buggered up the music and wasnt balanced with the treble meant nothing, I am convinced all these idiots are deaf and cannot hear anything below full volume, the fact that it sounds like total sh*t never comes into it, you only have to listen the the crap sound coming from their cars etc, they have no idea how to balance the tone or adjust the volume

Also, note that there is no word in the Thai language for [audio] "distortion"... :(