cheaper to live in USA or Thailand?

(I am sure this has been discussed before but cannot find the topic). I have lived/ worked in Thailand for over ten years so I know about how rent/ transportation/ food / and entertainment can be less expensive than back in the States. I have just turned 65years old (divorced) and keep going back and forth to where I want to retire. Both has its advantages and disadvantages. I plan to live somewhat simple (will never buy a condo here) and not take out my SS until I hit 70yrs. (Hope to live off my investments which would meet my basic needs in Thailand.) BUT!!! I understand I still have to pay into medicare per month; yet I would not be using it in Thailand. (So far I am healthy, on no medications) The "heads-up" I do get from Americans that returned to the USA from Thailand was because if they needed medical care, medicare would pay for part of the in-patient costs and medicine (NOTE: I said part of it.) So if  one chose to stay in Thailand and needed medical care would the cost still be less than what one would pay if he/she was in the States on medicare? This  is the part that is unclear to me. Also, my insurance runs out next month.... what local insurance would one suggest?

Sorry if there is some confusion with my questions, but you Americans that have retired in Thailand will understand my questions.  thanks

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Medical care is indeed a major issue at you cross the 65 point but without issues you should be able to at least obtain insurance here.  Will leave that to others as no experience because have US insurance from previous employment so not faced with that issue.  Probably be good for you to keep up medicare payments just in case however - you could well decide you want to leave for US at any point and want to keep that option open.  Here you do have the option to use government medical facilities at low cost if you can survive the conditions and waits.  

As you have no family in Thailand you might want to consider what the future holds - unless you plan a relationship there are few elderly care options, although that is starting to change - so basically you would be on your own.  But probably able to afford home care if required and if in city transportation is inexpensive.  

For many things price might be a bit less in USA but then added tax for this and gratuity for that and donation to them and so on.  

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Medical care is indeed a major issue at you cross the 65 point but without issues you should be able to at least obtain insurance here.  Will leave that to others as no experience because have US insurance from previous employment so not faced with that issue.

Not so easy with private medical insurance for older expats living in Thailand, AFAIK, Lopburi.  If the OP is indeed just turned 65, I'd advise he settle whatever health insurance he needs here before his next birthday.

There are basically two categories of medical insurers available to us in Thailand: Thai-based insurers, and usually more expensive foreign insurers who cover expats in other countries such as Thailand.

Many of the Thai insurance carriers will NOT start a new health insurance policy for someone age older than 65, regardless of their health status. And just a relative few will continue coverage for existing clients as they get older, say past 70.

Last time I checked about a year ago, there were a few possibilities:

--Pacific Cross Insurance (which used to be LMG International) will write new health insurance only up to age 65, and then for existing policy holders, will renew up to age 90.

--BUPA Platinum would allow new policyholders before age 66. But if you joined at that age, they'd only renew up to and including age 70. (If you joined before age 60, they'd renew for life), according to my insurance agent.

--the Pattaya Expats Club had a members group plan through AXA that members can enroll in up to the age of 65, and then can be renewed up to age 75.

--NZI/Safety Insurance Co. says they will accept new policy holders up to age 74, and then no cutoff for existing policyholders. www nzi co th/en/healthcare

--HealthCare International (www healthcareinternational com) would write new policies for people under age 75.

As for Medicare, that's a whole LONG mess unto itself. The OP should search for and read A LOT of threads here on Medicare, what its various parts mean, the one part you should enroll in and pay for even if you're living in Thailand, and the options for adding the other parts later if you eventually decide to return to the U.S.

And then there's Obamacare and all the current discussions about plan providers dropping out and others passing along huge price increases.

Overall, my sense is that the Thai medical insurance plans CAN be less expensive than what you'd pay in the U.S. for things beyond the basic Medicare coverage. But the Thai plans also often typically have per incident and lifetime policy coverage limits, something I don't remember ever having in my private U.S. health insurance in the past.

Thai insurers also will pretty likely exclude coverage for pretty much anything of significance that you've been treated for in past years. Whereas at least under Obamacare policies, AFAIK, you can't be denied insurance coverage because of pre-existing conditions and nor can your rates be jacked sky-high because of a pre-existing condition.

Best thing for the OP to do, I'd suggest, is to find a good English speaking, Thai insurance broker who can advise him on what's available for someone of his age among the different companies that provide coverage here, what each policy covers and doesn't cover, options for deductibles and no-claim discounts, and the particular insurer's policy on how long they will continue coverage once you're an existing policyholder.

Once you turn 65 you do "not" have to pay for Medicare Part B if you don't want to.  Part A costs nothing.  But Medicare Part A or B provide no coverage outside the  U.S.   Just remember, not starting Part B when first eligible means there will be a 10% premium penalty per year if you do decide to sign up for Part B later on.  

So, say you did not sign up for Part B until age 70 and then decided to move back to the U.S. due to health reasons, 5 yrs X 10% is a 50% permanent Part B premium increase for you.   If the Part B standard premium was says $250 whit your 50% premium penalty equaling $125 you would have to start paying $375/mo to have Part B coverage.   And of course this assumes you do not have a high income where your Part B premium might be higher than the standard premium.

Medicare basically pays for 80% of the bill. 

But, you can get supplemental plan from one of the medicare insurers. 
I used Geisinger Gold PPO plan

Blue Cross has some plans. 

As does AARP I believe and many others 
When you turn 65, you'll get tons of junk mail from all the different companies.

Yes, Part A is free and Part B is 104.90 a month. 
For the plan I picked (the PPO with Geisinger Gold), they get that $104.90 (which comes out of my soc security payment), and THAT is what pays for the plan I picked. 
There are many plans and they ball have co-pays (like a deductible)

I was lucky enough to find an independent expert when I turned 65 and we tried about 5 different scenarios before I made my decision for the plan I picked.

Someone above said it doesn't cover outside of the US> 
Well, I CAN go to Guam if I want for care

AND it does cover emergencies worldwide.  
I asked how that worked and they said I'd have to pay the bill and they would reimburse me later.   (yeah right, is what I thought, but haven't had to try it yet)

I don't know if a stroke is considered emergency, but for sure, a motorbike or car accident would be. 

I hope that explains things a bit for you. 
I think it's a great idea to try to find an independant expert who can try to show you the different choices that would fit your situation. 

By the way, in a PPO plan, you can choose any doctor who accepts medicare. 

In an HMO plan, you pick one doctor and have to go through him for anything you do in regards to medicare  (the co-pays are lower, but it limits you to who can doctor you)  
So, I picked a PPO plan.

Thanks Pib... I think the issue about that is, most older Americans living in Thailand shouldn't think about Medicare as a substitute/replacement for having separate health insurance coverage specifically for Thailand. But rather, a companion to the no or relatively low-cost Medicare coverage that you can maintain as a Thailand expat.

Reason is, yes, in theory, you always have the ability to book an airplane ticket and return back to the U.S. and then use Medicare and have the option of adding additional/expanded Medicare coverage. But, the rub is, you could be seriously injured or fall seriously ill in Thailand, and not be able to readily hop a 20+ hour international flight in order to access U.S. coverage under Medicare.

At least, that's the way I've understood the general lay of the land on this topic. Best to have Thailand specific coverage of one sort or another as long as one is living full-time in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, fiddlehead said:

I asked how that worked and they said I'd have to pay the bill and they would reimburse me later.   (yeah right, is what I thought, but haven't had to try it yet)

I don't know if a stroke is considered emergency, but for sure, a motorbike or car accident would be. 

Regarding emergency coverage worldwide, I'm assuming you're talking about the particular Medicare Part B PPO plan that you signed up for???  And coverage from any provider, or just from some list of specified providers?

Also, do you have something in writing re that policy that specifically says that, or that's just what some agent or customer service rep. told you re the policy?

Thanks...

FWIW, this is a Medicare brochure from the government on coverage outside the U.S. It seems to indicate that Medicare Part A and B plans only cover certain kinds of foreign treatment that wouldn't be applicable to anyone in Thailand (like traveling through Canada to the U.S. or being on a cruise ship).

But the brochure adds that foreign coverage for emergencies may be available under optional Medigap plans (starting with letters C and moving upward from there). For those policies, the brochure mentions a $250 annual deductible and a $50,000 lifetime limit for foreign emergency coverage.

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037.pdf

Similar info from Medicare.gov here:

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/travel-need-health-care-outside-us.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
26 minutes ago, fiddlehead said:

Guam is part of the U.S....it's not a state but is a territory of the U.S.  The term “outside the U.S.” means anywhere other than the 50 states of the U.S., the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands.

When it comes to emergency coverage outside the U.S., well here is what Medicare says and you can bet if they found out your were not simply "traveling" through Thailand like on a two week vacation you wouldn't get a cent reimbursed,  Plus they seem to be talking only countries that boarder the U.S. 

Capture.JPG

And here is what the Dept of State says about Medicare coverage outside the U.S.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/health.html

Capture.JPG

Edited by Pib
7 minutes ago, rijb said:

Can a US credit card be used for emergency services in Thailand?  Until you can get back to the US for further treatment, under Medicare.

Depends on the hospital, I think.

Here in BKK, most of the larger private hospitals (that cater to foreigners) seem to have no problem accepting foreign/U.S. credit cards. Probably the same in other larger tourist areas.

But if you're seeking treatment out in the boonies or from a Thai government hospital, then I wouldn't be so sure.

I'm no expert on Medicare issues, so I'm not sure on all the terminology.

But this ElderLaw Answers site seems to talk about some so-called Medicare Advantage (private Medicare plans) offering emergency coverage abroad to U.S. enrollees when they are traveling outside the U.S.   But not to those living outside the U.S.

http://www.elderlawanswers.com/getting-medicare-while-traveling-or-living-overseas-8229

OK, now reading further and elsewhere, I see that Medicare Advantage Plans, sometimes called Plan C or MA plans, are offered by private insurers and can provide coverage beyond that of regular government Medicare coverage. But with that coverage, the Medicare Advantage carrier is also responsible for providing your Part A and B Medicare coverage, but through their HMO or PPO networks.

"Traditional Medicare does not provide coverage for hospital or medical costs outside the United States (although Medicare does cover residents of Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands). In rare cases, Medicare may pay for inpatient hospital services in Canada or Mexico. (For details, click here.)

Some Medicare Advantage (private Medicare) plans may provide coverage benefits for health care needs when enrollees travel outside the United States. (Check with your plan before traveling.) But those retiring overseas -- or travelers enrolled in the traditional Medicare program or whose Medicare Advantage plan does not cover foreign travel -- will need to purchase health insurance from another source."

"Retirees who are moving to a foreign country cannot use Medicare to pay for health care while they are living overseas. The options for retirees are to buy private coverage, to pay into a government-sponsored system in their new country of residence, or to go without coverage."

So, I suppose it's possible that someone with a paid Medicare Advantage plan could have emergency coverage outside the U.S., assuming that person is a U.S. resident who's just traveling abroad temporarily.  But not foreign coverage for someone living full-time abroad.

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Regarding emergency coverage worldwide, I'm assuming you're talking about the particular Medicare Part B PPO plan that you signed up for???  And coverage from any provider, or just from some list of specified providers?

Also, do you have something in writing re that policy that specifically says that, or that's just what some agent or customer service rep. told you re the policy?

Fiddlehead, so is the foreign emergency medical coverage you mentioned above being done under a private Medicare Advantage policy? And if you obtained that, you needed to represent to the insurer that you were living in the U.S. as opposed to a foreign country, yes???

I think it is cheaper to live in Thailand but the benefits gained by residing in the US are worth far more than the small increase in expense.

This is from a retiree.

Now if I was a young person and I was subject to the onerous financial burden of Obamacare, then the equation "could" be changed enough that Thailand would make more economic sense. Ofcourse, in the US, a young person needs to find a career path that includes employer paid healthcare. 

Ironically, every one of my liberal friends who adamantly supports obamacare happens to be receiving excellent health insurance provided and paid for by their employers...

This is one of those impossible questions to answer. Depends where you would live in the US, how old, eligible for medicare, the variables are endless.

I would however venture that probably up until your mid 60's Thailand has the edge, slightly, but that gap is closing rapidly IMHO

Once you get past medicare enrollment age, all bets are off, and I'd  venture that you can probably live in the US with roughly the same cost, and with a great deal more certainty & security than here in Thailand.

Now I'm basing my opinion based on the assumption that you want to live a US equivalent lifestyle here. If you are content with living in a tin roof shack, well Thailand in your twillight years is for you

46 minutes ago, Pib said:

Guam is part of the U.S....it's not a state but is a territory of the U.S.  The term “outside the U.S.” means anywhere other than the 50 states of the U.S., the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands.

When it comes to emergency coverage outside the U.S., well here is what Medicare says and you can bet if they found out your were not simply "traveling" through Thailand like on a two week vacation you wouldn't get a cent reimbursed,  Plus they seem to be talking only countries that boarder the U.S. 

Capture.JPG

And here is what the Dept of State says about Medicare coverage outside the U.S.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/health.html

Capture.JPG

Thank you for researching and posting this information.

One note about Medicare being accessible in these US Territories is that many Healthcare providers do not accept Medicare patients because the amount of reimbursement allowed by Medicare is too low.

This actually occurs in US States such as Alaska where the cost of medical care far exceeds the maximum limits set by Medicare so old people on Medicare that I know are not able to find a primary care physician that will accept them as a patient.

Again, thank you for the quality of your posts.

Regarding Guam, it's really not an issue with hospitals accepting Medicare coverage, it's whether they meet the Medicare standards to where Medicare will reimburse.  Medicare just does not reimburse to any Tom, Dick or Harry hospital.  

Just for example, now that the Guam Regional Medical Center (GRMC) obtained accreditation to satisfy Medicare requirements, the GRMC will now accept Medicare patients.

http://www.guampdn.com/story/news/2016/01/17/grmc-now-accepts-medicare-medicaid-patients/78832922/

GRMC is celebrating its recent accreditation by The Joint Commission. The third-party surveyors are used to determine if hospitals are meeting rigorous healthcare standards. The Joint Commission also endorses certification for GRMC from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service.

Now that GRMC has Joint Commission accreditation, federal insurance programs like Medicare and Medicaid will pay when patients with those insurances come to the hospital.

And Alaska is such an expensive and sparely population state, I expect "some" doctors prefer private insurance coverage (you always have some in all locations), but I expect there is plenty of hospitals/doctors that accept Medicare coverage.  

Wikipedia says the population of Alaska is around 740K; and when looking at the Kaiser Family Foundation of the number of Alaskans covered by Medicare it says almost 84K which seems about right for a total population of 740K below and above 65 years of age folks.   Plus in Alaska they also have some Native American Indian medical programs that provide free/low cost medical coverage.

http://kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/total-medicare-beneficiaries/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel={"colId":"Location","sort":"asc"}

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

And Alaska is such an expensive and sparely population state, I expect "some" doctors prefer private insurance coverage (you always have some in all locations), but I expect there is plenty of hospitals/doctors that accept Medicare coverage.  

Sorry to be blunt but you are quite wrong in your expectation.

I encourage you to do more research before making assumptions like this.

But the rest of your post which is based on fact is still highly useful.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks...

Yes, Geisinger Gold PPO supplemental plan. 
Covers emergencies worldwide. 

You can google it. 

15 hours ago, fiddlehead said:

Yes, Geisinger Gold PPO supplemental plan. 
Covers emergencies worldwide. 

You can google it. 

It appears to be a Medicare supplement plan that is only offered to Pennsylvania residents. And to be eligible, you'd have to at least claim to be living in the U.S. as opposed to a foreign country.

https://www.thehealthplan.com/Gold/Landing_Pages/Why_Geisinger_Gold_/

More than 79,000 Medicare beneficiaries in Pennsylvania agree: Geisinger Gold is the best choice for them.

PS6052.jpg

Note that that coverage is limited to the first 60 days of each trip outside the U.S.

I was experiencing chest pain, got checked at a local cardiac center in Bangkok and was told I probably needed an Angioplasty.  The local (Sukhumvit Hosp., Bangkok) total cost was estimated to be close to B300,000.

I have Medicare, A & B.  I did a bunch of research and found the bottom line cost including co-pays in the US would be around $10,000

So pretty much the same at that level.  The real problems begin when a chronic condition appears: Cancer or something of that magnitude that requires long term, ongoing hospitalization.

I discovered I was eligible for Veterans Health Care (I had done 2 years active duty as a reserve) and recently returned to the US for what I assumed would be an Angioplasty but  woke up to a triple bypass.  Overall, I was impressed with the level of care I received at the VA Hospital in Boston.  Total cost, $0.  Those of you who may be eligible  should check it out.

Unfortunately, like Medicare, care is available in the US only unless you have a specific service connected condition

-- For new enrollees, the monthly Part B premium is now about US$120/month.

-- You can't get a Medigap or Medicare Advantage policy unless you're actually resident in the U.S. Ditto Part D, drug coverage.

-- Even if you have a Medigap policy with limited overseas coverage, you're only covered during the first 60 days overseas.

-- As said, with Medicare, you end up bearing about 20 percent of the costs yourself. But that's 20 percent of the amount Medicare pays doctors and hospitals, not the exorbitant amounts charged those without insurance in the U.S.

-- If you develop a pretty serious problem, your options for finding first-rate advanced care are going to be far greater in the U.S. than in Thailand. But with a serious problem and no Medicare, that first-rate advanced care could cost a fortune, and not a small one.

-- Remember that if you don't take Part B soon after you turn 65, you can only enroll later during an annual January-March enrollment period, with coverage starting the next July 1 (unless some extremely limited exceptions apply). So if you develop a medical problem in April, 2019, say, you won't be able to get Part B coverage until July, 2020. It's also important to know that Part A doesn't cover all that much: practically speaking, you need both Part A and Part B.

-- What with the 10 percent/year late enrollment penalty and the other problems of late enrollment, as well as the sky-high cost of U.S. medical care without insurance, I view starting Part B at age 65 as the right move. Of course others might reasonably have different views depending on their particular situations.

Edited by taxout
On 10/9/2016 at 8:00 PM, fiddlehead said:

Medicare basically pays for 80% of the bill. 

But, you can get supplemental plan from one of the medicare insurers. 
I used Geisinger Gold PPO plan

Blue Cross has some plans. 

As does AARP I believe and many others 
When you turn 65, you'll get tons of junk mail from all the different companies.

Yes, Part A is free and Part B is 104.90 a month. 
For the plan I picked (the PPO with Geisinger Gold), they get that $104.90 (which comes out of my soc security payment), and THAT is what pays for the plan I picked. 
There are many plans and they ball have co-pays (like a deductible)

I was lucky enough to find an independent expert when I turned 65 and we tried about 5 different scenarios before I made my decision for the plan I picked.

I hope that explains things a bit for you. 
I think it's a great idea to try to find an independant expert who can try to show you the different choices that would fit your situation. 

By the way, in a PPO plan, you can choose any doctor who accepts medicare. 

In an HMO plan, you pick one doctor and have to go through him for anything you do in regards to medicare  (the co-pays are lower, but it limits you to who can doctor you)  
So, I picked a PPO plan.

Have you actually received medical care in Guam? Seeking someplace to get my Pacemaker replaced I sent letters to every cardiologist there and not one replied. Hawaii might be a better option. The cost I was quoted in Thailand was 400,000 baht but I doubt that was very accurate. The cost in the USA was over $60,000 of which Medicare A and B  and my supplemental paid 100%. Whatever it would have cost in Thailand my exposure was $5,500 which is my annual deductible on my supplemental. I opted for the USA for quality of care. Keep your US options open is my advice. Health insurance in Thailand for the elderly is hard to get, comes with many pre-existing conditions and is expensive. Health care is very good at a few hospitals most in Bangkok but elsewhere can be marginal.

I think the medical insurance coverage in Thailand sucks compared to the US. I have a pretty decent insurance plan in Thailand and even still the list of things it won't cover is longer than the list of things it will cover. It's got a million exemptions and you have to be in perfect health when you sign up or anything that you had before is exempt.

There are also time frame exemptions. So, it only covers problems that have 100% present origination. So, no matter what plan I would have gotten, anything they can trace back to a prior problem that flares up during my coverage with them, they won't cover.

They even sent me an additional letter with a list of things they wouldn't cover that I had to sign off on before they would insure me. So, it's basically just a plan to cover any catastrophic accident I may have.

I'm sure people have stories about exceptions to this, but that is what I found. So, I go back to the US for surgeries and procedures I need as a result of an accident. Same for dental coverage.

In the US, my insurance covers pretty much everything, whether it happened before or not, and regardless of what the illness is. It also covers prescriptions 100%. My plan here covers no medications at all.

AS someone who has lived in  Thailand a long time and is American and knows the US costs well- it really depends upon the lifestyle you want.  If you want to live in a decent apartment in Bangkok , one can be found for between 8,000 to 15,000 Baht. This would be cheaper in the rural areas of Thailand. Food costs are low if you eat Thai food only. However, if you need to purchase imported foods and condiments expect higher costs.  Taxi's, buses and other are cheaper but the purchase of a car means approximately 20-30% down and slightly higher prices plus insurance which is approx the same price as the US.  Clothes prices might be higher in Thailand if you are larger than most Thais. I find I have to have mine tailor made as I cannot find tall or overweight sizes to include shoes.

Entertainment could be a factor depending on your lifestyle. Things like wine are more costly but beer is approx the same if bought in the market.  If you go to clubs, bars, pubs etc- the prices are less than the US.

Medical care on a cash basis is less than the US if you use Thai Government hospitals but the care for serious illness is spotty. Catastrophic care such as cancer treatment is expensive in Thailand )personal experience for family member 3 Million Baht over few years of Chemo).  Insurance for those over 65 are hard to find and  prices vary based upon benefits/deductibles.

If you do come to Thailand and retire I would suggest learning to speak Thai- it makes the experience so much more comfortable and easier to handle.

My best to you.

My experience only. I retired to Thailand because I cannot live as well on the same retirement income. I have maintained Medicare deductions from my Social Security (about $104 per month). Fortunately for me, my employer pays for a Blue Cross Seniors policy that will pay up to $5k per year for foreign care.

As a heart patient, Meducal insurance here will not cover any heart issues..my greatest liability. So, I am self insured in Thailand. Had a heart attack in December, my balance after the $5K  Seniors policy payment, was $6000.

on balance with car, motorbike, condo...it is cheaper for me to live here at a higher (comfortable) level than in the US. Monthly income $2400. Half from Social Security, half from investments. Should carry on into enter its and leaving something for my Sons.

Well, as you know, there are many affordable little luxuries here and maybe a good part of this decision is how much you avail yourself of these things... and where in the USA you might want to live and the lifestyle... I enjoy Thailand and have a family here so, I have no interest in returning to USA... as we all get older, healthcare is a bit of a crapshoot. I have chosen to self insure and did not opt into medicare plan B - - 

As medical will undoubtedly get more expensive, I wonder how many expats have adequately prepared... good luck with your decision... 

On October 9, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Pib said:

Regarding Guam, it's really not an issue with hospitals accepting Medicare coverage, it's whether they meet the Medicare standards to where Medicare will reimburse.  Medicare just does not reimburse to any Tom, Dick or Harry hospital.  

Just for example, now that the Guam Regional Medical Center (GRMC) obtained accreditation to satisfy Medicare requirements, the GRMC will now accept Medicare patients.

http://www.guampdn.com/story/news/2016/01/17/grmc-now-accepts-medicare-medicaid-patients/78832922/

Wikipedia says the population of Alaska is around 740K; and when looking at the Kaiser Family Foundation of the number of Alaskans covered by Medicare it says almost 84K which seems about right for a total population of 740K below and above 65 years of age folks.   Plus in Alaska they also have some Native American Indian medical programs that provide free/low cost medical coverage.

http://kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/total-medicare-beneficiaries/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel={"colId":"Location","sort":"asc"}

Alaska has recently been rated the most affordable state to retire in.