2 month overstay. No money and no ticket home

Someone I know is currently on just over 2 months overstay. He has no money and no ticket home. What are his options? Can his embassy help? His parents appear unable and/or unwilling to help. Will he have to go to jail or IDC? I have read other threads on this topic but there is a lot of conflicting info. If he hands himself in now will he avoid blacklisting? Any info greatly appreciated

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If he turns himself in he would not be blacklisted since he is still under 90 days of overstay.

His only chance to escape with minor hassle.

Buy a ticket to home country and rush to the airport.

Whether his embassy will give him a loan for the ticket?

As already written: nationality?

Home country: as he seems flat broke it does not make sense to suggest buying a cheap one-way to a neighboring country (stumbling into another mess).

• Like 2

He is British. Currently he has no money whatsoever so buying a ticket home is not an option. I dont really think trying to get a job would be a good idea as he would end up overstaying more than 90 days. If he turns up at UK embassy, are they likely to turn him over to the authorities? Or would he be best simply handing himself over to immigration? 2k fine means maybe 10 days in jail, not too bad considering the pickle he is in. But is the embassy likely to fly him home after that? Sorry if i sound clueless, any more info appreciated!

Edited by pjrob
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

The second question is what's he going to do once he gets off the plane in England with no money

At at least he is back in the UK and once he gets to his home town, the Social will help out like they do for most folks, 

its a fact....

• Like 2

After reading this I would not be overly enthusiastic that the UK embassy would help:

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-bangkok

What the embassy cannot do for you

pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)

Very exceptional circumstances.

Are there any private organizations that  might help British expats?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

They need to tighten up on the visa rules and screen people properly to ensure they have enough funds to remain.

You'd still get people running amok. Rich folks loaded with cash make bad decisions too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonray said:

Does not matter...I have known guys who drained their home accounts of a million baht in 2 months after meeting a girl and their new best friend 'Hiso Life'  There is no test for responsibility.

I don't disagree but how many do we see here that don't even have the money to buy travel insurance and then it's Thailand's fault when there is no money to treat them? The rules are far to lapse. Retirees are needing to prove income and show money in the bank when others are continuing to get extension after extension by paying 1900baht. It needs looking at.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

You'd still get people running amok. Rich folks loaded with cash make bad decisions too. 

I agree but at least they had the money to start with. We all know someone that once had it and lost it but you cannot get away from the fact that there are people arriving here that have very little money to start with.

Edited by Ronuk

I'm a Brit and I remember reading on the British Embassy website that they may loan money to British nationals in certain cases. If I ever found myself destitute in Thailand, I'd try going there. They can't give free cash, but they can provide a loan. I'm unsure about the overstay issue, however. The embassy can't help with that. Thailand's a really bad place to wind up broke. 

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

30 years ago, the British Embassy would help out in very rare cases. Today, being one of the hundreds of destitute Brits here in Thailand  on overstay any hope for any kind of loan is delusional.

Yes, my apologies, I just checked out the embassy website , you're right, it does say 

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)

So yes, it sounds like they won't give a loan but I don't know exactly 'exceptional circumstances' would include if being stranded in Thailand isn't one of them! Maybe you're right, if there truly are 'hundreds of destitute Brits', then I agree the circumstance aren't exceptional = no loan.  

In that case, I don't know, could the OP start a crowdfunding thing for his friend? My only other idea is for the guy to get a job teaching or something and save for a ticket that way.  

4 minutes ago, jadee said:

Yes, my apologies, I just checked out the embassy website , you're right, it does say 

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

So yes, it sounds like they won't give a loan but I don't know exactly 'exceptional circumstances' would include if being stranded in Thailand isn't one of them! Maybe you're right, if there truly are 'hundreds of destitute Brits', then I agree the circumstance aren't exceptional = no loan.  

In that case, I don't know, could the OP start a crowdfunding thing for his friend? My only other idea is for the guy to get a job teaching or something and save for a ticket that way.  

If you were shipwrecked, ended up in Thailand with no money, and had no family or friends willing to help, there would be a chance the British Embassy might loan you money to return home. Anything short of that, forget it.

If he hands himself in or gets caught, he'll remain in IDC until he can find: A) the money for whatever fine he incurs and B) the cash for  a direct flight back to  Blighty.... just that. 

If he's presentable and well spoken, teaching English to the locals could be a way forward.

Edited by lemonjelly

21 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you were shipwrecked, ended up in Thailand with no money, and had no family or friends willing to help, there would be a chance the British Embassy might loan you money to return home. Anything short of that, forget it.

I suppose putting in for a grant for a new Truck is right out of the question then? ?

Edited by Ronuk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

If he hands himself in or gets caught, he'll remain in IDC until he can find: A) the money for whatever fine he incurs and B) the cash for  a direct flight back to  Blighty.... just that. 

If he's presentable and well spoken, teaching English to the locals could be a way forward.

Fair enough but this is Thailand. Getting caught teaching on overstay and no WP is a one way ticket to IDC.

• Like 2