4G/LTE phones with USA/Thailand bands

mitebbots

in LOS, LTE is Band 1 (2100Mhz) and Band 3 (1800Mhz)

T-Mobile in USA uses Band 2 (1900Mhz) and Band 4 (1700/2100Mhz) Band 12 (700Mhz)

The Moto G4 Plus US version has bands 1/2/3/4 from what I see so far. 

LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 25(1900), 26(850), 41(2500) - XT1644 (USA)

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g4_plus-8050.php

I have not seen any phones here with band 2/4 support.

What are you hoping to do? Buy a phone in Thailand which will work in the U.S.?

Please add more details, especially re: budget, how much time you spend in the two countries, where you want to buy, etc.

You can also look at 3G compatibility.

An iPhone might offer the most flexibility.

There are some grey-market importers who offer both international and U.S. variants here.

I have the U.S. variant of the Nexus 6 (Motorola - XT1103) which works fine in both the U.S. and Thailand, but it is obviously better suited for the U.S.

I have a cheap Windows phone. It is a Lumina 640 LTE. (3,500 baht) I doubted that 4G would work here in Thailand. I live in the boonies where 4G doesn't exist. I am now in my Jomtien condo and use the phone hotspot for my Internet connection. I was quite surprised that my phone has the 4G icon and my AIS connection is pretty fast. I know nothing about the many different bands except that I do have 4G in Jomtien and Pattaya. 

• 1 month later...

I was recently in the USA for several months. I had a Xiaomi Note-2 purchased while in Thailand and used there for 4G.  I was able to buy a TracPhone SIM in the US and use it successfully getting 4G there.

Then a series of mishaps. My phone fell from my shirt pocket into the toilet...instantly kaput.

I took the SIM out but that somehow got lost during a room cleaning.

I had packed along a spare, inexpensive HOMTOM HT-7 phone that had also been used in Thailand on 4g.  I purchased a T-Mobile SIM and internet package that was a better deal than the Trackfone deal and had a very strong 4g connection where ever I went in the Northeast, Atlanta as well.

T-Mobile also seems to have a lot of WiFi hotspots in urban areas that I was able to connect to and use free as part of the $49/mo package.

• 3 weeks later...

LTE Band 4 (AWS: 1700x2100) might arguably be the most important for pre-paid U.S./4G access via T-Mobile. For models with multiple variants, this band is usually not available on "international" versions. So the OnePlus 3T has a global version which does not support this band, but their North American variant does.

That said, they (T-Mobile) have 1900 overlay in most markets with LTE and/or 3G, which is more than adequate, IME. You're not going to get LTE features like VoLTE or LTE-CA anyway on prepaid so it's not really that vital.

Personally I'd buy the best phone based on where I spent the most time, and which providers I was planning on using, and even consider two phones.

The Moto Z is an interesting phone; TrueMove H has a nice pre-paid promo on it here - the battery is definitely a weak spot, unless you get the Moto-mod battery pack. Still not sold on the 'modularity' (Moto-mods) concept.

Lastly, most higher-end phones have the hardware to support additional bands, sometimes you can flash the right modem to enable this functionality.

Archived