3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

2 hours ago, Pib said:

From review of this NECTEC Thai ISP "International Gateway" map, it appears  3BB/AIS/True having the following international bandwidth as of 9 Jan 17:

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYhz6KD9PhEunRBfZmPHm1BtxsgVP4SQWw8cfvuv/NEsID+tNlo2YQV55yOiL/YLpErxVAw+Yvas08+xXVWNJBs1

3BB - 500.5 GB

AIS -  840.02 GB

True - 602 GB

3BB

Capture_3BB.JPG

AIS

Capture_AIS.JPG

True

Capture_True.JPG

These values are not all IP transit. Most of them are peering with Google / Facebook and others.

For example, 3BB does heavy peering with Google, it seems 3BB users watch youtube like crazy!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, muratremix said:

These values are not all IP transit. Most of them are peering with Google / Facebook and others.

For example, 3BB does heavy peering with Google, it seems 3BB users watch youtube like crazy!

Yea...saw that before posting when looking at the whole IP map at the NECTEC gatemap.  That is, following the connection lines from the gateways out to the borders of the map showing the connection to various international severs like having a lot of bandwidth to Facebook since people use Facebook so much (but not me).  But regardless, those connections to Facebook and similar type servers such as Google is still all part of Thai ISP international bandwidth.   And much of the international bandwidth runs through Singapore.

On 15/01/2017 at 3:02 PM, muratremix said:

Some say, AIS fiber modem does not allow bridging mode?

I'm with AIS. They set my router to bridge mode, but had to do remotely. You can't do it yourself. My main router now handles the handshake with the ais end point. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 11:28 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

My True 50/20 have been very bad since last Thursday, it goes on and off, on and off, all the time, True TV on same line is quite bad too with missing/frozen frames. 

My friend in the village has exactly same problem with his True i-net. 

Thankfully I still have my Banglamung 12mb cable i-net so have been using that one and that is working flawless.

They are coming tomorrow and checking.

It all went tits up after the hard rain we had earlier this week in Pattaya.

I wonder what they do in Scotland with rain +300 days per year:whistling:

Well the True tecs found a defect cable outside the village that was defect and changed it and all is back to normal again. This sounds correct as first the conn was on/off all the time and eventually there was no conn at all.

They even called us and asked if everything is now okay which is nice of them, so pretty good service.

Speeds are very good now, below is between L.A. and Japan.

starstarstarstarstar   down arrow Download :: 49.7 Mbps 6.2 MB/s
gradientgradient  My Speed :: 49.7 Mbps
gradientgradient 122% faster than my average Tokyo, JPUS 22.5 Mbps
gradientgradient 1029% faster than my host average 4.4 Mbps
gradientgradient 108% faster than my city average 23.9 Mbps
gradientgradient 120% faster than the US average 22.6 Mbps
gradientgradientTMN 141% faster than Index Speed 20.6 Mbps

Edited by guzzi850m2

I am with True using the usual phone line for DSL. However Fibre optic has arrived but my condo will not allow any new cables to be run internally and certainly not externally so True offered to fit a box on the ground floor which would connect the fibre optic cable to my phone line so that I would only have a copper pair within the building. This they claim will stlll give me higher speeds. Any thoughts on this please?

• Like 1

They are probably talking VDSL for the final run from the ground floor to your residence.  VDSL, like DSL, runs over a standard phone line....copper pair.  Quite common with AIS and 3BB also for highrises.    The max speed package offered will probably be 50Mb, but it could go up to 100Mb if the lines in your building are in great conditions, don't go through a bunch of switches, connections, etc.   But I expect True would offer their 30Mb or 50Mb plan on VDSL.

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/cm/support_content/1261?ln=en

Edited by Pib

On 01/21/2017 at 8:53 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

fyi, just as a misc. data point here....

I signed up for a test of the SmartDNS Proxy service today, and tested it with my 3BB fiber account. Set up the SmartDNS protocols on my 3BB Huawei fiber router, and bingo, most of the major U.S. streaming content is no longer geo-blocked. Everything worked exactly as it should, and took no more than 5 mins to set-up.

I mention it re 3BB because in the past, I had tried that service and other similar DNS services with my True Online account, and they never worked with True Online, presumably because of True's use of a transparent proxy in their ISP service. So that's one more distinguishing feature between 3BB and True Online.

What is a smart DNS and proxy used for? I've just learned changing tp google DNS sometimes.helps speed and privacy.

Is there any consensus on the best connection? I suppose it would have to be a fibre optic network with one of the major providers ?

2 hours ago, markcm19 said:

What is a smart DNS and proxy used for? I've just learned changing tp google DNS sometimes.helps speed and privacy.

Is there any consensus on the best connection? I suppose it would have to be a fibre optic network with one of the major providers ?

A SmartDNS service is different than a DNS service.  A DNS service does not try to mask your true IP location or have any of your data traffic routed through them....a DNS service just gives directions so to speak as to the route to connect to whatever server in the world you are trying to connect to.   But a SmartDNS does have some of your data traffic routed through them....it's basically a dedicate proxy service which can make you IP location appear as somewhere else.

The SmartDNS webpage gives a good layman's description of how a SmartDNS works.

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/news/smart-dns-proxy/complete-guide-on-what-is-a-smart-dns-proxy-server-and-how-does-it-work-9.aspx

• Like 2

Building on Pib's answer above, the SmartDNS service is similar to a VPN service but with a couple differences:

--A VPN routes all traffic to-from your computer (browser, apps, communications, etc.) via its server location. AFAIK, the SmartDNS service only deals with browser traffic, and only for specific, listed sites supported by SmartDNS.

--The VPN connection can be encrypted for additional security, depending on the protocol used. The SmartDNS service AFAIK doesn't encrypt your web traffic, but just makes the sending site believe you're in a particular geographic location. Although if all you're using it for is streaming audio-video, you probably don't want that traffic encrypted anyway.

--In the case of using 3BB fiber as your ISP, you can actually get faster international connections using a VPN service than you would just using 3BB alone. Whereas AFAIK, using SmartDNS doesn't provide that additional speed boost with 3BB that a good VPN can.

In my case, I was just testing SmartDNS as an inexpensive backup/alternative to my regular VPN service, and was curious to see if the SmartDNS service would work with 3BB fiber both at the individual PC level and at the router level, which it does (work).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 1/20/2017 at 9:13 PM, Pib said:

They are probably talking VDSL for the final run from the ground floor to your residence.  VDSL, like DSL, runs over a standard phone line....copper pair.  Quite common with AIS and 3BB also for highrises.    The max speed package offered will probably be 50Mb, but it could go up to 100Mb if the lines in your building are in great conditions, don't go through a bunch of switches, connections, etc.   But I expect True would offer their 30Mb or 50Mb plan on VDSL.

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/cm/support_content/1261?ln=en

Thanks for your answer however thankfully the condo handyman who is really good at what he does has agreed to do the internal fibre optic cable into my condo which should be done today and then the True technician will arrive to connect up later.

I see 3BB now has a 100Mb plan for Bt900/mo.  They had a 100Mb plan before but when the upgraded that plan to 200Mb they didn't leave behind a 100Mb plan at a lower cost.   I thought it was strange to not have a 100Mb plan....they had a 50Mb and lower plans and then jumped all the way to 200Mb. They have now filed that 100Mb plan hole.

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/register/

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pib said:

I see 3BB now has a 100Mb plan for Bt900/mo.  They had a 100Mb plan before but when the upgraded that plan to 200Mb they didn't leave behind a 100Mb plan at a lower cost.   I thought it was strange to not have a 100Mb plan....they had a 50Mb and lower plans and then jumped all the way to 200Mb. They have now filed that 100Mb plan hole.

Capture.JPG

Glad to see 3BB do this. Unfortunately, it only took their marketing geniuses a few months (since the introduction of the upgraded 200/50 plan) to realize they were probably missing a potentially large segment of their potential customer base. Why they didn't keep the original 100 Mbps plan as an option in the first place is beyond me.

For lots of expat folks, the notion of paying 1200b for a monthly internet fiber connection is going to be a reasonable and affordable expenditure for the benefits its provides. But for a lot of ordinary Thais on more constrained incomes, it probably makes good sense for 3BB to offer a still very fast, but more affordable monthly option that also still competes with AIS fiber's somewhat lower prices (especially for existing AIS postpay phone customers who get an extra fiber discount.)

• Like 1

I have just tried to have the AIS 100/10 for 1099 installed, but I have had to tell them to to take it away as I could only get 92mbs to Bangkok using the cable from the router to the laptop and an average of 45mbs on the WiFi signal; which was unacceptable. I was very sceptical from the outset when the installer turned up with two routers and the outside connecting cable was not a fiber optic one.

With my current 18mbs True package I get 16mbs to Singapore via the WiFi connexion which is just over a 10% loss of speed. With AIS I would have had to endure a 50-60% loss of speed which is unacceptable. Thus I am going to just upgrade to TRUE's 100mbs service. I am in Don Muang by the way.

1 hour ago, marquess said:

I have just tried to have the AIS 100/10 for 1099 installed, but I have had to tell them to to take it away as I could only get 92mbs to Bangkok using the cable from the router to the laptop and an average of 45mbs on the WiFi signal; which was unacceptable. I was very sceptical from the outset when the installer turned up with two routers and the outside connecting cable was not a fiber optic one.

With my current 18mbs True package I get 16mbs to Singapore via the WiFi connexion which is just over a 10% loss of speed. With AIS I would have had to endure a 50-60% loss of speed which is unacceptable. Thus I am going to just upgrade to TRUE's 100mbs service. I am in Don Muang by the way.

Jesus christ, are you for real?

Wifi 2.4 ghz has a speed limit, you won't get 100Mbps on 300Mbps 2.4 ghz wifi. If you want 100Mbps via Wifi, you need to pay for an AC 5 ghz router.

92 mbps on 100 mbps is acceptable. Your line is not a leased line with 100% uptime guarantee and dedicated speed.

You think you own the air space for wifi? Or you think people in Singapore having 1000/1000 Mbit speed gets this 1000Mbit in wireless speeds?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Pib said:

Capture.JPG

If they only ensured providing public ipv4 for those plans...

They put my 50/10 vdsl behind CGNAT after 6 months using with public (dynamic) IPv4 with them.

8 minutes ago, marquess said:

Too late now since you have cancelled the AIS Fibre service, but regarding the 92Mb of 100Mb from a hardwire connection between your computer and the router are you sure it was not "your  computer" that was the problem?  

Did AIS check the connection speed with their computer?    Even an ethernet connection can be impaired if your computer is not setup optimally for an ethernet connection.   The laptop that the AIS techs brought along to test my installation was a laptop with 1000Mb/gigabit ports to ensure the ethernet connection between the AIS primary router was not choked/impaired by a 100Mb port being in the mix like some older computers/devices have.   Does your computer have 100Mb or 1000Mb ports?  If it only has 100Mb ports then your chokepoint is probably right there.  Now the 3 year old laptop I using right now and used to run the speed tests shown/discussed below is only has 100Mb ports....but it's Wifi speed capability is much higher as  you'll see below.

And the 45Mb via Wifi connection I bet that was via Wifi connection between their AIS primary router which is only a 2.4GHz N router with the router set to the default 20Mhz bandwidth selection which means the max speed will be around 45 to 50Mb...and maybe a little higher with a 40Mhz bandwidth selection based on memory/earlier testing I did.    When i first got an AIS plan it was their 50Mb plan....I later upgraded to their 100Mb plan. 

And of course with any Wifi connection, 2.4 or 5Ghz band, any obstructions (like a wall or floor) between the router and your computer will reduce the Wifi speed.  Distance from the router will also significantly reduce speed starting around 5 to 10 meters in distance.  Combine obstruction with distance and Wifi speed can be greatly reduced.

AIS does provide a second router along with it's primary router.....that second router is a 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz router so you can use the 5Ghz band if desired and get a much higher speed...pretty close to 100Mb speed via Wifi as shown in the first image below.   I say "pretty close" because the Edimax router only has 100Mb ethernet ports which means it's Wifi speed can't be any higher, give or take a little.   

Was it a Edimax router like they provided me? I didn't even setup/start using it until months later as a second access point upstairs in my house  But since that Edimax 2nd router only has 100Mb ethernet ports probably right at 100Mb max will be all you can get wia Wifi connection even with a 5Ghz connection due to that router's 100Mb port chokepoint.    And as mentioned with their primary router which is only a 2.4Ghz router you'll only get around 50Mb max via Wifi; however, their primary router does have 1000Mb ports.

Blow are some speed examples using that second Edimax router on the two different frequency bands (5 and 2.4) with my AIS 100/10 plan.   The Edimax router is being fed by ethernet connection from the primary AIS router.   Not showing any test for the 2.4Ghz band on the AIS "primary" band because I disabled it as the Edimax 2.4Ghz band provided a faster speed on 2.4Ghz.

When using a Wifi connection to the Edimax router on the 5GHz band....can't quite make it to 100Mb speed due to the router's 100Mb ports (the chokepoint).

6004444488.png

When using Wifi Connection to the Edimax router via 2.4Ghz on "40Mhz" Bandwidth Selection which is hooked to the AIS primary router via ethernet.   I was too lazy to set the Edimax to a 20Mhz bandwidth selection, but if I had the max speed would have been around 45 to 50Mb.

6004448289.png

Now, below are some examples using a better quality ASUS 55UHP router that I use downstairs for my Wifi connection with this ASUS router hooked via hardware/ethernet to the AIS primary router upstairs.  Both the ASUS primary router and the ASUS router have 1000Mb/gigabit ports so ports are not a chokepoint like on the Edimax router.  Have not problem getting full 100Mb speed via Wifi.

When using Wifi Connection from the ASUS router on the 5Ghz band which is hooked to the AIS primary router via ethernet....a much better quality router than the Edimax router.   Notice I have no problem getting the full speed from the AIS 100/10 plan via Wifi connection. 

6004451942.png

And just to show how a 5Ghz connection on a good quality router has plenty of capability to handle a 100Mb, or even a 200Mb speed plan, below is a speed test where I feed my ASUS router with a signal source from my home server.    I can get approx 265Mb download speed.   I expect if the Wifi chip in my laptop was better I could go above 265Mb.

Capture.JPG

Yea, "for Wifi purposes," the primary router and secondary (optional use) router provided by AIS is really only good enough for their 50Mb and below plans assuming they are still providing the Hauwei primary router and Edimax secondary router they provided me.

Now, if you are making a ethernet connection to their primary router which has 1000Mb ports that router is good enough for their fastest plans.   For me in my home I don't use ethernet connections between the routers and my computers/devices...purely Wifi. And whether I'm able to take full advantage of the AIS 100Mb plan since I have a good quality ASUS router which can easily pump-out a Wifi speed greater than 100Mb really depends on the computers/smartphones/tablets connection to the router...most have 5Ghz bands and can get the full 100Mb speed, but older devices with only the 2.4Ghz band have to settle for less speed.  

Before a person decides to go with any plan faster than 50Mb, like a 100Mb or faster plan, they should ensure their computers/devices can keep up as the computer/devices may be the real chokepoint, not to imply that was the situation in your case.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Glad to see 3BB do this. Unfortunately, it only took their marketing geniuses a few months (since the introduction of the upgraded 200/50 plan) to realize they were probably missing a potentially large segment of their potential customer base. Why they didn't keep the original 100 Mbps plan as an option in the first place is beyond me.

For lots of expat folks, the notion of paying 1200b for a monthly internet fiber connection is going to be a reasonable and affordable expenditure for the benefits its provides. But for a lot of ordinary Thais on more constrained incomes, it probably makes good sense for 3BB to offer a still very fast, but more affordable monthly option that also still competes with AIS fiber's somewhat lower prices (especially for existing AIS postpay phone customers who get an extra fiber discount.)

Took the AIS marketing folks a month or two to also realize that many people preferred a 100Mb plan.  

AIS had a 100Mb plan but briefly dropped new signups and stopped advertising their 100Mb once they came out with their 200Mb plan. Guess they expected people to flock to their 200Mb plan and just totally forget about only wanting a 100Mb for whatever reason, like maybe concern their Wifi setup not being able to take full advantage of a 200Mb plan or just feeling a 200Mb would not be any faster internationally than a 100Mb.

But AIS did come out again with a 100Mb plan and I bet it gets a lot more signups than their 200Mb plan.    With both AIS and True agrressively marketing their 100Mb plans, I guess 3BB decided they better come out again with a 100Mb plan.

3 hours ago, johng said:

92 Mbps from 100Mbps maximum seems good to me

WiFi 802.11g tops out at 54 Mbps
so 45 was quite good too ,assuming the ISP router and/or your equipment dont support the faster n standard.

802.11g can not deliver 54 mbps. That is download + upload at the same time in ideal conditions. Just download (aka speedtest) would give 25-27 mbit/s max. Same goes for 802.11n protocol. 20 mhz 2x2 only gives you 144 mbps up + down,  70 mbps one way max if there are no other wifi signals around. However, this is thailand and walls are very thin and very little iron inside, so wifi signals everywhere. Thats why you need 5ghz ac router.

2 hours ago, muratremix said:

Thats why you need 5ghz ac router.

Upgrading to a 5 GHz AC-capable router was one of the best things I've ever done for improving my internet connection at home (along with upgrading from a coax cable to a fiber internet connection).

My older construction home actually has pretty thick walls, but the wifi signal doesn't have to travel that far, so AC does just fine. And unfortunately, there are literally dozens of other 2.4 Ghz wifi transmitters/routers within receiving distance of my home, whereas right now there doesn't appear to be another 5 GHz transmitter other than my own. That alone has made a world of difference.

Would 3bb fiber be a good choice for me, I don't need a fast download speed. I am happy with the high KB/s I get now with Sinet fiber which sometimes.breaks 1mbps. I just want good streams and reliable connections without having.to wait for video buffering on a VPN.

1 hour ago, markcm19 said:

Would 3bb fiber be a good choice for me, I don't need a fast download speed. I am happy with the high KB/s I get now with Sinet fiber which sometimes.breaks 1mbps. I just want good streams and reliable connections without having.to wait for video buffering on a VPN.

In general, both the 3BB and AIS fiber services are going to provide good connections and good speeds for content inside Thailand, and decent connections for international content. Of course, it also depends on what fiber services actually are available where you live, and if they're well-managed (meaning not overloaded).

• Like 1

On 21/01/2017 at 8:53 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

fyi, just as a misc. data point here....

I signed up for a test of the SmartDNS Proxy service today, and tested it with my 3BB fiber account. Set up the SmartDNS protocols on my 3BB Huawei fiber router, and bingo, most of the major U.S. streaming content is no longer geo-blocked. Everything worked exactly as it should, and took no more than 5 mins to set-up.

I mention it re 3BB because in the past, I had tried that service and other similar DNS services with my True Online account, and they never worked with True Online, presumably because of True's use of a transparent proxy in their ISP service. So that's one more distinguishing feature between 3BB and True Online.

I use DNSJumper.

It's a little program that keeps you using the quickest DNS automatically and is very easy to set up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

I use DNSJumper.

It's a little program that keeps you using the quickest DNS automatically and is very easy to set up.

Yes, AFAIK, that program, which I have also, is not the same thing as the abovementioned Smart DNS Proxy.

As you said, DNSJumper simply helps you identify and use the fastest general DNS servers to use for your location, meaning your address look-up times on the web should be as short as possible. It's a simple, free program.

Smart DNS Proxy also relies on you using their specific DNS servers, but in doing so, their system is specifically aimed at enabling streaming of video content without being blocked by geo-locking restrictions, particularly for commercial streaming video sources (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon) in the U.S. and UK. It's a paid service where you pay a monthly fee or similar subscription.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

I use DNSJumper.

These type of programs (DNSBench is another one) just tell you which DNS gives you the fastest response/lookup....and by fastest response I mean when you enter a host name like www.cnn.com it looks up the IP address/number and then connects you to it. 

In my use of various programs like this they will almost always show "local/the nearest" DNS servers as the fastest...how many "milliseconds" to look up a IP address for a host name.  And the programs also will tell  you how reliable they are in terms of being able to lookup/find an IP address for a host name...and that reliability will almost always be very high to 100% based on my testing.   And the fastest DNS will most likely be whatever DNS server your internet service provider uses simply because it's the closest...right here in Thailand....probably in Bangkok.   

Personally, I use GoogleDNS as my primary and OpenDNS as my secondary/backup....and they are pretty close by....located in Singapore.  I'm not using them because they are the fastest but because they are not (but we are only dealing with milliseconds here), but I'm using them because they are not being tweaked/modified by your internet service provider....by tweaked I mean possibly trying to block certain name host name look-ups.  Plus I figure GoogeDNS and OpenDNS being bigtime, worldwide DNS servers are less likely to go down compared to your internet provider's DNS server.

• Like 2

I have been following this very informative thread as I am just about to bin my True Fibre 30/3 plan after 2 years due to poor international performance that seems to be getting even worse lately and their use of a Transparent Proxy etc. Also the introduction of new plans that offer better value for money and hopefully better service.

As I seek content in the wider world I was favouring 3BB with the use of a VPN over AIS as I noted from other posters this combination worked well. And now shariq607 has posted on TOT Fiber's latest rates which look very competitive but TOT remain a bit of an unknown to me and have heard bad things about them in the past but may have upped their game now.

Fiber internet plan prices just keep dropping.  

I'm thinking that AIS will soon need to lower the price of their 200/10 Mb plan from the current Bt1,888 and/or increase it upload speed.   AIS's 100/10 plan is Bt1,100 so that not to far off from TOT, 3BB, and True 100Mb plans.   

But beyond just pure domestic speed the international speed is so important.  From watching AIS, 3BB, and True international speed test results recorded in the Testmy.net database, AIS is still winning over 3BB and True in international speed with True firmly holding onto last place.   Below snapshots from the Testmy.net database showing the "average" download/upload speed tests results for the last 50 tests.

By "average" speed that means an average of the dozen or so testmy.net server locations you can test to....like Singapore, Tokyo, LA, London, etc.  

And when you look at the "maximum" speed results (not posted below)  over a period time (not just considering one or two high results but numerous) AIS is still leading, 3BB looking pretty good, but True once again aggressively defending its 3d place standing.  

But the "average" speed results below are probably a much better indicator of 24/7 speed and to various locations versus "maximum" speed results since the max speed results were probably all to the Singapore testmy.net server during non-peak times....the world is bigger than just connecting to Signapore sites all the time.   

But please note the charts below don't differentiate whether a test was via fiber, DOCSIS/cable, VDSL or ADSL.   So with all of AIS plans being fiber/VDSL (higher speed plans) it's understandable they are leading...while 3BB & True has fiber, VDSL, and ADSL.  The ADSL tests (lower speed plans) are probably dragging down 3BB's and True's average results....how much I couldn't say....depends on how many people are testing from ADSL plans.

AIS "Average" Speed of Last 50 Tests

CaptureAIS.JPG

3BB "Average" Speed of Last 50 Tests

Capture3BB.JPG

True's "Average" Speed of Last 50 Tests

CaptureTrue.JPG

Edited by Pib

Signed up for True FTTX 300 / 70 last week , however the router they provided only has 100meg ports :saai:

I am able to max out 100/80 though for domestic speed tests, still doing international tests

I initially tried to get AIS but they're not available in my building, true was the easiest. 

6018342877.png  (over wifi)

Edited by ck98