May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

1 hour ago, robblok said:

We are all different, i prefer especially as someone from a small country to be at a large economic block. Who is right and who is wrong we will see. But how far does independence go. The Brits will find out if it was a good choice or not.. so far they are hurting and their economy is hurting and as a small country compared to the US or EU they can't really make a fist. I think it was a bad idea for you guys.

Just FYI - the EU is not a country - at least not yet.

Page 601, Oh My!

Edited by nauseus

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

- Snip -
 UK people just may start swapping their French cheeses and wine along with other goods for other non EU products which are cheaper and sometimes better.
So yes independence at any cost please.

Independence is a big word, just from a country with a food self-sufficiency rate of just 60%.
The Uk is dependent on food imports.
40% of the UK population must be fed by importers.

The United Kingdom has imported a total of € 49.1 billion of agricultural products and foodstuffs. Of these, 74% and some € 36.3 billion came from the European Union. The total trade in agricultural products of the British thus results in a trade deficit of € 25.7 billion. This surpasses the UK's total agricultural exports by € 2.3 billion. This trade deficit has more than doubled since the mid-1990s due to ever-growing imports.

In agricultural trade with the countries of the European Union, the deficit of the British was last even at € 22 billion. This is, after all, 1.6 times the amount of British agrar exports to the EU.

According to data from the UK Department of Agriculture, the Kingdom is a large net importer of agricultural products in most production areas. Excesses are only achieved with the export of beverages. This is essentially the export of whiskey from Scotland - but this has a share of all 35% of the value of agrarexports.
LOL

And already the beautiful word: independence, is gone.

Edited by tomacht8

3 hours ago, Johnyo said:
4 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Eh??? The government is being constantly criticised in the media for not having a plan. When it comes up with plans/proposals it's being arrogant? What on earth??? This is a negotiation, not a disciplinary procedure. Both sides come up with proposals and counter-proposals, and somewhere inbetween lie solutions hopefully. Arrogance is when one side refuses to budge.
[/

I think it's posturing. The Tories know what they are proposing will never happen so then they can blame the EU. Sound familiar?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've been saying this for a very long time. The Cons WANT to crash out; they'll blame it in EUROPE intransigence.

And who will gain? Not the numpties for sure. It'll be low rent manufacturers with cheap labour and polluting processes. There's going to be one hell of a brain drain that's for sure. Pointy heads are not numpties by definition ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes it will be worth it. The Euro is doing Ok at the moment for many reasons. Personally I care about a lot more than how much money I have in my pocket for now and maybe a few years. Not having a go at you Rob but leaving the EU, is so much more than that and reading this any many other threads on the subject. It is not just the Brits but others who have had enough of the bullying EU.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/841539/EU-news-European-Union-fourth-reich-Germany-communism-Poland

The Euro looks attractive at the moment and they keep printing more of it. The EU and the countries in it should be very careful the way they are treating these negotiations. The second biggest contributor could walk, So no more money and the UK people just may start swapping their French cheeses and wine along with other goods for other non EU products which are cheaper and sometimes better.

I am surprised anyone would want to be bullied and cajoled into anything which is exactly what the EU does. So yes independence at any cost please.

Nurse! Gravy's out of bed again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Johnyo said:

I want the best deal for both sides. I just find the arrogance displayed in the press by the British politicians sickening. It appears that they say they want this or that without realising there is another side that might not give a hoot what you want. We want to have a traditional period with access to the customs union and free trade to avoid falling of a cliff but at the same time we don't want to abide by the EU rules. Arrogance or jus playing to the UK public? Not sure

You could also say this about the politicians on the opposing side.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

Independence is a big word, just from a country with a food self-sufficiency rate of just 60%.

I totally agree and you have the EU to thank for that taking away agriculture from the lands. Don't worry there is enough space left to regenerate. The UK can always by imports from other countries without the punishment tariffs the EU impose.

When you look at it either way the UK will be just dandy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

The United Kingdom has imported a total of € 49.1 billion of agricultural products and foodstuffs. Of these, 74% and some € 36.3 billion came from the European Union. The total trade in agricultural products of the British thus results in a trade deficit of € 25.7 billion. This surpasses the UK's total agricultural exports by € 2.3 billion. This trade deficit has more than doubled since the mid-1990s due to ever-growing imports.

In agricultural trade with the countries of the European Union, the deficit of the British was last even at € 22 billion. This is, after all, 1.6 times the amount of British agrar exports to the EU.

And already the beautiful word: independence, is gone.

This situation has been allowed to come about by successive UK governments, with the EU encouraging this further since the UK joined it. It has become another factor that results in greater UK reliance on the EU, which just makes withdrawing from it so bloody difficult. The EU CAP has been wasteful and it also unfairly favoured the French farmers until very recently. Now. even the French are worried that their previously enormous and precious subsidies are starting to head eastwards to the newer member states.

Why would any nation fortunate enough to be able to do so, not prefer the capability to at least produce enough basic food to sustain its population, if possible? The UK can gear up to produce most of the shortfall of food and to import the balance from other sources but the British farmers will need more financial help to do this, at least initially. The choice of food in the shops and markets would probably have to partially revert to being more "seasonal" again.

But so what? Lancashire hotpot followed by rhubarb crumble anyone?

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I totally agree and you have the EU to thank for that taking away agriculture from the lands. Don't worry there is enough space left to regenerate. The UK can always by imports from other countries without the punishment tariffs the EU impose.

When you look at it either way the UK will be just dandy.

Yes I think it is possible. The conversion from a service provider to a farmer country will cost a lot and probably not go so fast.
The United Kingdom has imported a total of € 49.1 billion of agricultural products and foodstuffs. Of these, 74%  came from the European Union. In the global population growth, it will not be so easy to compensate these volumes by 3 tiers suppliers so quickly.
Since quite different countries have already bought themselves into the fertile fields of this world.
And if the British pound falls even further, it will not be cheaper.

But one can also live only by air and ideological love.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

http://news.sky.com/story/next-phase-of-brexit-talks-likely-delayed-to-december-sky-sources-10991514

The headline makes the story look like bad news for brexit but read it through and you will see it can actually be great news for the UK and brexit negotiations.

As I have said many times on this topic...let's see what the boss of the EU has to say and not the pipings of the non elected.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

36 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

http://news.sky.com/story/next-phase-of-brexit-talks-likely-delayed-to-december-sky-sources-10991514

The headline makes the story look like bad news for brexit but read it through and you will see it can actually be great news for the UK and brexit negotiations.

As I have said many times on this topic...let's see what the boss of the EU has to say and not the pipings of the non elected.

That's basically how it will happen. If Merkel wants to play ball, there will be a ball game, If she doesn't, her EU goons will have a chimps' tea party, and it will have to be a hard brexit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Mother Theresa loves you. :cheesy:

You racist bigot you. Well that is the rhetoric so posters on here call people with a difference of opinion. I am actually joking regarding yourself. If she does love me then she needs to up her game. :smile:

Edited by Laughing Gravy

wow, over 9,000 responses to this topic.  What's the conclusion, is the old girl ready or not?

Don't forget this is a follow on thread to another long running one that got shut down due to too much bickering.

This is a hugely dividing subject that is not going anywhere soon.

3 minutes ago, Orac said:

Don't forget this is a follow on thread to another long running one that got shut down due to too much bickering.

This is a hugely dividing subject that is not going anywhere soon.

and this thread is just one of several active Brexit related threads on TV

(so the topic receives its fair share of comments)

8 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

wow, over 9,000 responses to this topic.  What's the conclusion, is the old girl ready or not?

The UK always finds a way when it needs to. We (or rather our politicians) were suckered into laziness by the EU project. Ignore the naysayers, we'll be fine. And Germany will be frustrated again, thankfully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnyo said:

Come on Kuhn you have to admit that the Germans are superior to the U.K. In nearly everything. Largest economy in Europe, needed a huge coalition to defeat them in war, better at footbal and that is before we get to their beer and women. Embrace them as partners and ir will all end well.

They had their own huge coalition, at least to start with.

4 hours ago, Johnyo said:

Come on Kuhn you have to admit that the Germans are superior to the U.K. In nearly everything. Largest economy in Europe, needed a huge coalition to defeat them in war, better at footbal and that is before we get to their beer and women. Embrace them as partners and ir will all end well.

No thanks. Germany will always act in Germany's best interests. That's what the EU is all about, and it's only going to become more blatant as Europe becomes more federalised. We're better off ploughing our own furrow.

Edited by Khun Han
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Yes. Is there something wrong with that?

The 'Ploughing Our own Furrow' theory of trade is about as sophisticated a position as we are going to get from some Brexiteers. Chewing a straw economics.

Edited by SheungWan