May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

Don't brag about you involvement,you should hang your head in shame.

I must admit there were a couple of stunning students helping in the Labour Party HQ over the election period for one of the elections and I still regret not 'er discussing the finer points of politics with them.

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

I think you mean a majority of the electorate who voted in the referendum at that time, which is not quite the same thing.

You must be a very clever person, to know and assume, that those who did not vote, would have voted to remain in that so- called Union.

Get over it, we are leaving in 2019. The people have spoken.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

You must be a very clever person, to know and assume, that those who did not vote, would have voted to remain in that so- called Union.

Did I assume that? Actually I am more aware these days that the subsequent election is flavouring what type of Brexit may be concluded. The referendum was not the final word on the form of Brexit.

2 minutes ago, nontabury said:

We don't want to know about you and Diana Abbott.

Now, now. Please get your constituencies right. Tony Blair was MP for Islington South, Jeremy Corbyn is MP for Islington North and Diane Abbott MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington.

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

In the Conspiracy Theory Brexiteer's Songbook, everybody who isn't lined up on their side is a treacherous traitor: the Remainers, the UK High Courts, the UK Supreme Court, the House of Lords, the Labour Party, the moderate wing of the Tory Party. Have I left anybody out? And yet who do these Brexiteers line up with? Oh yes! Vladimir Putin. He's a good guy and 'er the French National Front whose historical roots are in the WW2 Vichy Regime. The word 'Traitors'? Our CT Brexiteer friends hardly know the meaning of the word.

What a complete pile of gash.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

image.jpeg

So says the E.U. Financial Industry.

http://business.financialpost.com/investing/global-investor/london-losing-status-with-financial-firms-as-brexit-approaches

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

I bet it was a laugh, when you all got together for cocktails.

Those who have some political nous would know that those 3 would not hang out together for cocktails or anything else for that matter. Corbyn and Abbott we know about, but Blair's New Labour project was established in direct opposition to the Old Labour way of running things and even for Old Labour, Corbyn was an extreme outlier on the margins. The story of how Corbyn got in is worth a thread in itself. However, when a Brexiteer tries to conflate the whole lot it unfortunately shows their limited and shallow understanding.

• Like 2

There is a small editorial pot (piece of text) on Brexit in today's Bangkok Post.

DDavis asking for flexibility in the approach to the talks.

EU requesting that Ireland/UK border issues (no mention of the Gib) - payment - citizen rights

be sorted before future customs/trade relationship can be addressed.

Not promising, early stall.

In a 100 years time it will all be forgotten.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mommysboy said:

According to the UK press, Labour is lining itself up as the soft Brexit party, as distinct from the Tory hardest of hard Brexit. 

Battle lines have been drawn and it will be an interesting Autumn term in Parliament. 

Imho, Labour enjoys popular support.  If I had to guess I would estimate 65% of the electorate would prefer to remain part of the single market.

65% would prefare to remain in this so called Union. Well that's a matter of opinion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nontabury said:

65% would prefer to remain in this so called Union. Well that's a matter of opinion.

This is the poll that gave the following unrelated choice:-

ComRes / BBC poll: Which should be the priority for the British Government when negotiating the UK's withdrawal from the EU?

• Maintaining access to the single market so Britain can have free trade with the EU: 66%
  •  
  • Restricting the freedom of movement so immigration from the EU is reduced: 31%

Perhaps a choice of yes or no may have been less of an apple and pears question!

This is the extent of the poll:-

ComRes interviewed 1,004 British adults aged 18+ by telephone from 7th-10th July 2016. Data were weighted to be representative of all GB adults aged 18+.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Those who have some political nous would know that those 3 would not hang out together for cocktails or anything else for that matter. Corbyn and Abbott we know about, but Blair's New Labour project was established in direct opposition to the Old Labour way of running things and even for Old Labour, Corbyn was an extreme outlier on the margins. The story of how Corbyn got in is worth a thread in itself. However, when a Brexiteer tries to conflate the whole lot it unfortunately shows their limited and shallow understanding.

Well it would seem that the cocktail set of the London Labour Party, are not ready to acknowledge that the true Labour supporters, will now consider that the Labour Party has betrayed them, and that your hero Jeremy Corbyn has abandoned his principles. Enjoy your many years in opposition.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

New poll finds most Brits want to stay in the single market after Brexit

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-poll-finds-majority-want-uk-to-stay-inside-the-single-market-2017-8

Rather confirms the result of the general election which rejected May's Hard Brexit message.

Remind us how many seats UKIP won again in the last general election.

Remind us how many seats they have ever won in any British general election.

Remind us how many times the subject of your post has failed to win a seat in a British General election.

Opinion polls, and how many times are they wrong?

True UKIP has not been successful in the general elections, but then again how often is a non major party successful in a general election. However they have been very successful in the European elections,and most Importantly in the 2016 referendum.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Opinion polls, and how many times are they wrong?

True UKIP has not been successful in the general elections, but then again how often is a non major party successful in a general election. However they have been very successful in the European elections,and most Importantly in the 2016 referendum.

image.jpeg

Farage claimed that May had adopted most of its policies including a hard Brexit  and their hard Brexit was rejected in the 2017 General election.

In fact its very confusing listening to anything that Farage says given that during the referendum he was touting the Norway option as a likely outcome for the UK but then once he saw the result forgot all about Norway and how successful they were economically and started spouting hard Brexit.

weird idea, to me at least,

staying in the single market after Brexit

staying in that market brings with it a series of conditions that UK does not fancy,

Brussels made regulations, free flow of this AND that, European courts etc etc

• Like 2

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

weird idea, to me at least,

staying in the single market after Brexit

staying in that market brings with it a series of conditions that UK does not fancy,

Brussels made regulations, free flow of this AND that, European courts etc etc

I agree and that is exactly what Farage was touting during the referendum campaign with the Norway option. Apparently in his view, Norway and Switzerland were what we should aspire to be. 

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Well it would seem that the cocktail set of the London Labour Party, are not ready to acknowledge that the true Labour supporters, will now consider that the Labour Party has betrayed them, and that your hero Jeremy Corbyn has abandoned his principles. Enjoy your many years in opposition.

This reads like something out of one of those weird pro-UKIP speeches where the Labour Party has supposedly betrayed its working class supporters and only UKIP can provide the answers. Difficult to tell whether it is this side of things or Corbynistas who spout the worst drivel. One thing however standing out here as the total obsession for some of the above guys are their utter abhorrence of cocktails as the symbol of all that is wrong in the world and symptomatic clearly of a thoroughly corrupt London Metropolitan Elite. Grumpy old provincial gits sitting in the bus shelter going ballistic. So then, make mine A Sloe Comfortable Screw: 3 oz sloe gin, 3 oz Southern Comfort, 3 oz orange juice, 3 oz vodka. Stir/shake and serve with ice. About 15 quid a throw down in the Southern pits of hell.

Edited by SheungWan

13 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

I agree and that is exactly what Farage was touting during the referendum campaign with the Norway option. Apparently in his view, Norway and Switzerland were what we should aspire to be. 

right,

but keep in mind that Norway's and Switzerland's relations with the EU is quite different.

Switzerland deals with EU on a issue by issue / sector by sector basis.

It works, although several red-tapers in Brussels complain that it is a mvery manpower intensive

way of dealing.

Norway is one of the EFTA countries in EEA (as opposed to Switzerland).

Single market, yes. But as far as courts/regulations/legislation/jurisdictions/sanctions are concerned,

pretty much the same as for UK today. (some differences though)

Doesn't sound as being to the taste of Farage or Brexiters.

The Swiss way is in practice what UK is doing now through the divorce talks, sector by sector.

16 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

right,

but keep in mind that Norway's and Switzerland's relations with the EU is quite different.

Switzerland deals with EU on a issue by issue / sector by sector basis.

It works, although several red-tapers in Brussels complain that it is a mvery manpower intensive

way of dealing.

Norway is one of the EFTA countries in EEA (as opposed to Switzerland).

Single market, yes. But as far as courts/regulations/legislation/jurisdictions/sanctions are concerned,

pretty much the same as for UK today. (some differences though)

Doesn't sound as being to the taste of Farage or Brexiters.

The Swiss way is in practice what UK is doing now through the divorce talks, sector by sector.

Norway adopts 20% of EU law

• Confused 1

I just reasoned that most of the remain vote would prefer to stay in the single market, since they dont want to leave EU at all.  And, as we know, the leavers are split around 50/50.  65% was a remarkably good guess.  I would agree opinion polls are a waste of time, in fact I'm beginning to think they favour the underdog, yet I just believe a big majority want to be part of the single market and this is not subject to whim.

Whatever, sooner or later a government with a very fragile hold on Parliament, and faced with an opposition which appears to have captured the popular vote, will have to face this awkward issue.  The Government thus far has denied reality in a way that a redder than red government would find breathtaking.  No point trying to hoodwink or bludgeon their way past the electorate, as they are well and truly encircled.

I don't think the Brexit 'winners' could have handled this any the worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

I just reasoned that most of the remain vote would prefer to stay in the single market, since they dont want to leave EU at all.  And, as we know, the leavers are split around 50/50.  65% was a remarkably good guess.  I would agree opinion polls are a waste of time, in fact I'm beginning to think they favour the underdog, yet I just believe a big majority want to be part of the single market and this is not subject to whim.

Whatever, sooner or later a government with a very fragile hold on Parliament, and faced with an opposition which appears to have captured the popular vote, will have to face this awkward issue.  The Government thus far has denied reality in a way that a redder than red government would find breathtaking.  No point trying to hoodwink or bludgeon their way past the electorate, as they are well and truly encircled.

A comres poll in July 2016 showed 35% of leave voters expected to leave the single market

54% of leave voters expected to stay in SM with FOM modifications

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Farage claimed that May had adopted most of its policies including a hard Brexit  and their hard Brexit was rejected in the 2017 General election.

In fact its very confusing listening to anything that Farage says given that during the referendum he was touting the Norway option as a likely outcome for the UK but then once he saw the result forgot all about Norway and how successful they were economically and started spouting hard Brexit.

I read and watched loads of footage, and articles pre and post referendum, with nothing like this from Farage. The confusion comes from remainers, who want to soften, delay or even stop the UK leaving the EU altogether. The 'hard Brexit' term was not used before the referendum, I wonder where it really came from??   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

More complete nonsensical cobblers.

15 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I read and watched loads of footage, and articles pre and post referendum, with nothing like this from Farage. The confusion comes from remainers, who want to soften, delay or even stop the UK leaving the EU altogether. The 'hard Brexit' term was not used before the referendum, I wonder where it really came from??   

Farage's Norway prediction: http://tinyurl.com/y9uqqg7t

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Farage's Norway prediction: http://tinyurl.com/y9uqqg7t

Farage: 'Hard Brexit is the Brexit we voted for'. http://tinyurl.com/y85btvxr