May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

27 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I read the German press daily and speak to my German daughter who lives in Munich on a regular basis, not much is spoken about brexit if at all, seems the Brits take themselves too seriously

suffering from significant lack of waves to rule

what to do?

focus inwardly

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

suffering from significant lack of waves to rule

what to do?

focus inwardly

There are many in the UK today who long for the days when, if you dipped your finger in the sea and it tasted of salt, it was British, gone for good, the UK is an insignificant island in the North sea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Boris Johnson concedes UK will have to pay for Brexit

Foreign secretary says UK will meet legal obligations to pay divorce bill to EU, having previously said it could ‘go whistle’.

Well so much for that.

The 'go whistle' comment was given in case of 'extortionate' demands by the EU, which would by the very nature of the word be illegal. I even have a Guardian link for you:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/jul/11/boris-johnson-eu-leaders-go-whistle-divorce-bill-video

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

The 'go whistle' comment was given in case of 'extortionate' demands by the EU, which would by the very nature of the word be illegal. I even have a Guardian link for you:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/jul/11/boris-johnson-eu-leaders-go-whistle-divorce-bill-video

1) agree with your taking of of the "whistlin' "

2)

In your link to the Guardian I see something that I find quite amusing that you Brits may not see at all.

Somewhere down there you see a cut of BJ having what you may consider a spat with a blond Swedish female MP.

You can hear from her intervention that she has a pretty good command of the English lingo.

BJ and the lass expose different understandings of the semantics of the term liberate.

Now,

having spent most (very thankfully not all) of my prof. life in international negotiations at the treaty/intergovernmental level I have learnt to misuse the English language to the extent that

what I say/write will fly.

To make this short; in my environment the most common terms that needs abused semantics are;

should/shall/would/will, (as well as a few others).

Regarding these terms you would have to adopt skewed semantics if you want your message to fly.

What flies at Eton, in OxBridge and the like doesn't really matter. The treaty world wants it differently.

The blond lass and BJ have a spat re the term liberation.

With my experience I would say that the blond's understanding of the semantic wins

and BJ loses, what is right or wrong is rather not relevant.

Have a bunch of UK friends and colleagues that over the years have learnt to misuse their former

top notch command of their mother tongue. Required if you want your pitches to fly.

What a weird world.

Now, nip and beer time. Unfortunetaley there ain't no Belhaven around here.

36 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

1) agree with your taking of of the "whistlin' "

2)

In your link to the Guardian I see something that I find quite amusing that you Brits may not see at all.

Somewhere down there you see a cut of BJ having what you may consider a spat with a blond Swedish female MP.

You can hear from her intervention that she has a pretty good command of the English lingo.

BJ and the lass expose different understandings of the semantics of the term liberate.

Now,

having spent most (very thankfully not all) of my prof. life in international negotiations at the treaty/intergovernmental level I have learnt to misuse the English language to the extent that

what I say/write will fly.

To make this short; in my environment the most common terms that needs abused semantics are;

should/shall/would/will, (as well as a few others).

Regarding these terms you would have to adopt skewed semantics if you want your message to fly.

What flies at Eton, in OxBridge and the like doesn't really matter. The treaty world wants it differently.

The blond lass and BJ have a spat re the term liberation.

With my experience I would say that the blond's understanding of the semantic wins

and BJ loses, what is right or wrong is rather not relevant.

Have a bunch of UK friends and colleagues that over the years have learnt to misuse their former

top notch command of their mother tongue. Required if you want your pitches to fly.

What a weird world.

Now, nip and beer time. Unfortunetaley there ain't no Belhaven around here.

It was from The Guardian + I only looked at the relevant recording. Enjoy Happy Hour. Cheers!

On 8/25/2017 at 9:31 AM, soalbundy said:

I read the German press daily and speak to my German daughter who lives in Munich on a regular basis, not much is spoken about brexit if at all, seems the Brits take themselves too seriously

Excellent.

So the Eurocrats will do their best to ensure the best deal possible for both the UK and EU?

We all live in hope, whilst being cynical about Eurocrats/Brit. politicians/Brit. bureaucrats.....

14 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Hopefully they can throw some cuffs on him and pack him off up to The Hague afterward :wai:.

unlikely to happen me thinks,

but if you google (blair brexit) now a series of media notices on his trip to Brussels come up

some of them hinting at Blair is trying to derail  May's brexit efforts

worth a quick look, the pots (pieces of text)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

GBP on a roll against EURO this last month.

Yes, the "soon-to-implode" Euro is rolling ... upwardly ... against a plummeting GBP? European economy strengthens as the UK economy weakens? Brexit script going awry ... taking back control, you know it makes sense Rodney! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

In the Conspiracy Theory Brexiteer's Songbook, everybody who isn't lined up on their side is a treacherous traitor: the Remainers, the UK High Courts, the UK Supreme Court, the House of Lords, the Labour Party, the moderate wing of the Tory Party. Have I left anybody out? And yet who do these Brexiteers line up with? Oh yes! Vladimir Putin. He's a good guy and 'er the French National Front whose historical roots are in the WW2 Vichy Regime. The word 'Traitors'? Our CT Brexiteer friends hardly know the meaning of the word.

Yes, Trump, he was the only world leader amongst our allies that was in favour of Brexit.

19 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Who in these discussions has lined up with Putin? And if you're going to suggest support for Le Front National, quote someone who supports them. I don't. All the above quoted nonsense in response to my post which stated the bald fact that Blair is a war criminal, and has gone behind his government and country's back! Sometimes your posts are like recorded messages.

I guess you are still happy with the treacherous traitors list then. I sometimes wonder whether the sudden occasional launched attacks against Blair and favourite bogeymen the Germans are not attempted deflections in response to the frustrations felt when the Government appears to be tip-toeing towards a softer Brexit rather than a slamming of the doors desired by the forum hard Brexit team? Let's lash out is the knee-jerk response. They are all in it together! Right?

25 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I guess you are still happy with the treacherous traitors list then. I sometimes wonder whether the sudden occasional launched attacks against Blair and favourite bogeymen the Germans are not attempted deflections in response to the frustrations felt when the Government appears to be tip-toeing towards a softer Brexit rather than a slamming of the doors desired by the forum hard Brexit team? Let's lash out is the knee-jerk response. They are all in it together! Right?

Oh, I can assure you my distaste for Blair goes a long way back, before he became PM.

12 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Oh, I can assure you my distaste for Blair goes a long way back, before he became PM.

Well that's alright then. Though you are having a go at the guy who used to live down the road from me. He was in Richmond Crescent, so a near neighbour then. I went on the knocker for him for the 1997 and 2001General Elections. Labour's record success in those two elections largely due to my input. :post-4641-1156694572:

Edited by SheungWan

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

In the Conspiracy Theory Brexiteer's Songbook, everybody who isn't lined up on their side is a treacherous traitor: the Remainers, the UK High Courts, the UK Supreme Court, the House of Lords, the Labour Party, the moderate wing of the Tory Party. Have I left anybody out? And yet who do these Brexiteers line up with? Oh yes! Vladimir Putin. He's a good guy and 'er the French National Front whose historical roots are in the WW2 Vichy Regime. The word 'Traitors'? Our CT Brexiteer friends hardly know the meaning of the word.

You forgot to mention the majority of the British electorate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Well that's alright then. Though you are having a go at the guy who used to live down the road from me. He was in Richmond Crescent, so a near neighbour then. I went on the knocker for him for the 1997 and 2001General Elections. Labour's record success in those two elections largely due to my input. :post-4641-1156694572:

Don't brag about you involvement,you should hang your head in shame.

• Like 2