May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Yeah! Let's go instead with Boris's repeated discredited BS about an available 350 million a week for the NHS. Hey! If the rubbish worked once for victory, let's go for a double whammy!

Check out the government's own figures for how much it spends on obligatory EU-related quangos. The members club subscription is peanuts in comparison

17 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

British MPs propose 136 changes to Brexit bill: MPs have tabled 59 pages of amendments to the EU withdrawal bill. 'They will be debated when the bill returns to the House of Commons next month for eight days of line-by-line scrutiny'. FT 13 Sept.

The lot of them should be bloody well hanged for going on holiday while all this chaos is going on.

14 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Britain now EIGHTH largest industrial nation as it climbs world rankings in Brexit boost

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/855573/brexit-news-economy-boost-manufacturing

Keeps getting worse for the remoaners

You mean getting worse for everyone. It does not matter what anyone says about the economy it does very little for Joe Public.

I am not long back from a month in the UK and they all have the same complaint - rising prices. Of course the brexiteers think it is some form of punishment from the EU. Exchange rates - what have they got to do with anything?

The report would actually mean something if it was published in Sept 2019. There is a tendency to forget that brexit has yet to happen.

On 9/18/2017 at 8:03 PM, SheungWan said:

British MPs propose 136 changes to Brexit bill: MPs have tabled 59 pages of amendments to the EU withdrawal bill. 'They will be debated when the bill returns to the House of Commons next month for eight days of line-by-line scrutiny'. FT 13 Sept.

Some being more significant than others. Another government defeat on the horizon?

"Labour backbencher Heidi Alexander has already tabled an amendment to the bill that says: “No Minister may, under this Act, notify the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the EEA Agreement, whether under Article 127 of that Agreement or otherwise.”

If this or any similar amendment is passed, ministers would be forced to call a vote of Parliament on triggering Article 127 – like they were with Article 50."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/article-127-brexit-stop-what-is-it-single-market-eu-eea-theresa-may-article-50-a7955806.html

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Some being more significant than others. Another government defeat on the horizon?

"Labour backbencher Heidi Alexander has already tabled an amendment to the bill that says: “No Minister may, under this Act, notify the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the EEA Agreement, whether under Article 127 of that Agreement or otherwise.”

If this or any similar amendment is passed, ministers would be forced to call a vote of Parliament on triggering Article 127 – like they were with Article 50."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/article-127-brexit-stop-what-is-it-single-market-eu-eea-theresa-may-article-50-a7955806.html

Probably more important ahead of any bun fight in Parliament is Theresa May's upcoming statement on Brexit negotiations progress and Boris Johnson's recent antics.

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Probably more important ahead of any bun fight in Parliament is Theresa May's upcoming statement on Brexit negotiations progress and Boris Johnson's recent antics.

The courts put off the Art 127 case until the 12 month notice kicks in. The Bill amendment is nothing more than a a warning shot across the bow.

The real question is she arrogant enough to go to court again.

23 hours ago, sandyf said:

The courts put off the Art 127 case until the 12 month notice kicks in. The Bill amendment is nothing more than a a warning shot across the bow.

The real question is she arrogant enough to go to court again.

Again I think that is secondary to whether Theresa May is able to maintain control over her Ministers leading up to and following Friday's speech. Right now Boris has been told to get back in his box. If Theresa May is able to navigate a negotiated settlement I'll take it. I'll take it over the Hard Brexiteer message and I'll take it over letting in Corbyn and his political shambles.

On 18/09/2017 at 8:23 PM, baboon said:

The lot of them should be bloody well hanged for going on holiday while all this chaos is going on.

I have sympathy with that point of view

This is a BIG DEAL

How can anyone involved take a vacation at this time.

It's obscene at the risk of sounding like a Torygraph reader!

On September 19, 2017 at 9:28 AM, sandyf said:

You mean getting worse for everyone. It does not matter what anyone says about the economy it does very little for Joe Public.

I am not long back from a month in the UK and they all have the same complaint - rising prices. Of course the brexiteers think it is some form of punishment from the EU. Exchange rates - what have they got to do with anything?

The report would actually mean something if it was published in Sept 2019. There is a tendency to forget that brexit has yet to happen.

I came back from the UK yesterday,never heard anyone mention rising prices,although this was in your old stomping ground in the north of England. 

It could be quite different in the far more prosperous south east.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-theresa-may-speech-florence-eu-commission-michel-barnier-negotiations-divorce-bill-a7959396.html

Get your embarrassment sensitive glasses out...

Florence, Dougal, Ermintrude....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpu8jH1LE8

Why Firenze?

Come on Brexiters, pigs and troughs?

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Again I think that is secondary to whether Theresa May is able to maintain control over her Ministers leading up to and following Friday's speech. Right now Boris has been told to get back in his box. If Theresa May is able to navigate a negotiated settlement I'll take it. I'll take it over the Hard Brexiteer message and I'll take it over letting in Corbyn and his political shambles.

FT news Thursday Sept 21: Reported that DD informing financial industry UK looking for distinct regulatory framework post_Brexit for competitive advantage preceded by a transitional stand-still agreement with the EU. If substantive, first bit of practical sense coming from DD.

16 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I came back from the UK yesterday,never heard anyone mention rising prices,although this was in your old stomping ground in the north of England. 

Price of London Film Festival tickets are a bit of a scandal but otherwise we are muddling through. Surviving on teabags purloined from hotel rooms recently stayed in. Its a struggle.

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Background to Theresa May's speech in Florence: http://tinyurl.com/y9j6dt6t

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-theresa-may-speech-florence-eu-commission-michel-barnier-negotiations-divorce-bill-a7959396.html

Get your embarrassment sensitive glasses out...

Florence, Dougal, Ermintrude....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpu8jH1LE8

Why Firenze?

Come on Brexiters, pigs and troughs?

Corbin of course is Mr Rusty !

22 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Corbin of course is Mr Rusty !

Joker.

Head  girl Teresa,  has  out grown her gymslip , and has zit credibility  as a politician .

DC,  had his revenge by appointing  her  as  PM.   A  slow death awaits,  great ? britain .

JC ,  save  us from  this doom.   The people will vote , soon .

12 hours ago, nontabury said:

When I was over there I was 10 days in East Anglia, a couple of weeks in Sheffield and 6 days in the north of Scotland, all saying the same thing.

What people choose to hear is quite often selective and reports like this one are dismissed as fabrication.

"With rising inflation brought about by the Brexit vote’s impact on the pound having further reduced levels of real pay and placed more strain on household budgets, the report warns that millions are still struggling to make ends meet."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-poverty-levels-winter-discontent-warning-poor-families-a7957856.html

Obviously you have the right to believe that nobody is complaining.

16 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The simple fact is that she cannot get any settlement that does not involve remaining in the single market until the Art 127 issue is resolved. Will she back down on the single market - unlikely, in other words a dead PM walking.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

When I was over there I was 10 days in East Anglia, a couple of weeks in Sheffield and 6 days in the north of Scotland, all saying the same thing.

What people choose to hear is quite often selective and reports like this one are dismissed as fabrication.

"With rising inflation brought about by the Brexit vote’s impact on the pound having further reduced levels of real pay and placed more strain on household budgets, the report warns that millions are still struggling to make ends meet."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-poverty-levels-winter-discontent-warning-poor-families-a7957856.html

Obviously you have the right to believe that nobody is complaining.

Obviously you mix with the wrong people.... whingers probably.

That was not my experience in East Anglia, the North West and Nottinghamshire.... most people I spoke to were prospering with the only complainers being those dealing in property where rule changes were nothing to do with Brexit.

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

The simple fact is that she cannot get any settlement that does not involve remaining in the single market until the Art 127 issue is resolved. Will she back down on the single market - unlikely, in other words a dead PM walking.

They can back down on anything as a transitional arrangement, dressed up or otherwise. At this moment in time that is all business institutions and the markets are expecting. If Theresa May can hold support together both with the Cabinet and the Tory Conference, then there is a chance. Dragging it all down for either Boris or Rees-Mogg or Corbyn is not an attractive option.

Archived