May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

I think there is potential downside risk not yet in the markets. That for me is a message to continue hedging away from sterling. Others can make their own arrangements or not as the case may be.

When you say you are hedging away from Sterling exactly what do you mean. Are you converting your sterling cash holdings to another currency  and/or shedding  British shares or shares whose main source of income is sterling.

Just curious

1 hour ago, aright said:

When you say you are hedging away from Sterling exactly what do you mean. Are you converting your sterling cash holdings to another currency  and/or shedding  British shares or shares whose main source of income is sterling.

Just curious

It is an interesting question. For me it is converting between GBR and HKD. Unfortunately neither currency is doing particularly well against THB so that is not going to help me out too much on return to LOS.

9 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

It is an interesting question. For me it is converting between GBR and HKD. Unfortunately neither currency is doing particularly well against THB so that is not going to help me out too much on return to LOS.

If the timing is not right for an exchange today and you have faith in the future of a currency why not do it as an Fx future? 

36 minutes ago, aright said:

If the timing is not right for an exchange today and you have faith in the future of a currency why not do it as an Fx future? 

With currencies I just want to trade today's price with the cash that I have. Next month that will mean maybe buying GBPHKD and using my sterling credit card in HK but probably not using that CC in LOS. LOS better to have Euros!

Edited by SheungWan

Today's Bangkok Post contains an OK article re May and Brexit.

dunno, but I find these so called negotiations are getting weirder and weirder

I can understand the border up north being a stumbling block.

The UK people in EU and EU people in UK issue I think to a large extent would solve itself without

negotiating very much.

Casting the payment in concrete in advance of any other negotiations?  UK coming up with the figures

without any invoice/demands? Give me a break.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2017 at 11:41 PM, Jip99 said:

Not yet....?

That was one of several Project Fear/Remoaner predictions that didn’t come close to happening.

How close is close? You obviously think that the Euro being worth 95p wasn't very close to a pound. 

The fact that it was about 70p before the referendum doesn't mean very much. You will be telling us next that everyone that voted to leave was well aware that costs would rise and they would become poorer.

Of course it is only temporary for the next so many years.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

How close is close? You obviously think that the Euro being worth 95p wasn't very close to a pound. 

The fact that it was about 70p before the referendum doesn't mean very much. You will be telling us next that everyone that voted to leave was well aware that costs would rise and they would become poorer.

It it never reached parity.....that was the insistence of you remoaners.

17 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

As was the employment rate will go up to 6.5% a loss of half a million jobs. Guess what?  It went down.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Have to admit that I'm suprised the euro hasn't fallen in the same way as sterling.

4 minutes ago, aright said:

As was the employment rate will go up to 6.5% a loss of half a million jobs. Guess what?  It went down.

I'd only add that UK unemployment statistics have been manipulated beyond recognition for decades now :sad:.

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

since the true colours of Merkel, Junker and Barnier et al  have surfaced.

Should add French President Emmanuel Macron:

"... the two sides had not yet completed even half of the work on the financial settlement and accusing Britain of “bluffing” by using the media to suggest there could be no deal."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu/britains-may-wins-brexit-reprieve-faces-tough-weeks-ahead-idUSKBN1CO36F

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Have to admit that I'm suprised the euro hasn't fallen in the same way as sterling.

I'd only add that UK unemployment statistics have been manipulated beyond recognition for decades now :sad:.

I hear what you say but if it was the case wouldn't the opposition parties be jumping up and down and giving us the true figure. If they have I haven't heard it.

8 minutes ago, aright said:

I hear what you say but if it was the case wouldn't the opposition parties be jumping up and down and giving us the true figure. If they have I haven't heard it.

The unemployment figures aren't manipulated (no evidence of falsification) but the criteria do change over time. I recall Mrs Thatcher playing around with those in her day eg taking 16 year olds off the register. The real issue is always about the criteria, which explains the argument eg about 'hidden unemployment'. Collection of data methodology sometimes shows up weaknesses, but that is to be expected re any historical data collection.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

A weak, repetitive and predictable bleat from you.

You have no idea of my level of education - that fact alone shows how pathetic and indiscriminate your barbs are.

From the contribution accusing others of being 'unpatriotic morons', I would say low, very low.

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

From the contribution accusing others of being 'unpatriotic morons', I would say low, very low.

Even though I 'liked' jip's post, I didn't like the use of the word 'moron' to describe fellow posters. It's my opinion that a bit more civility all round would improve the brexit discussions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Nobody insisted on anything, far less parity. Some sort of confusion between forecasting and facts. Forecast models were based on DC claim that Article 50 would have been invoked almost straight away. Who knows how the forecasts would have panned out if that had actually happened. Forecasts are exactly that, forecasts, unlike the fabrications emanating from the other side.

At the end of the day you cannot hide from the fact it was predicted people would be poorer and that has come to pass.

36 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Nobody insisted on anything, far less parity. Some sort of confusion between forecasting and facts. Forecast models were based on DC claim that Article 50 would have been invoked almost straight away. Who knows how the forecasts would have panned out if that had actually happened. Forecasts are exactly that, forecasts, unlike the fabrications emanating from the other side.

At the end of the day you cannot hide from the fact it was predicted people would be poorer and that has come to pass.

Poorer in the short term was a given. But - fact - numerous doomsayers were forecasting an immediate and permanent parity with the EURO and Dollar.

19 minutes ago, aright said:

At least be relevant. The full English at airports is more expensive than Wetherspoons as well

Entirely relevant for the typical holidaymaker off to the Costas. They don't maintain multi currency offshore accounts like what we do eh?

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

This summer, at UK airports, 1GBP bought less than 1 EUR!

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Only a dumb ar5e would have converted at those rates

Maybe so, but the bell rang all the same.

Edited by SheungWan

20 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Entirely relevant for the typical holidaymaker off to the Costas. They don't maintain multi currency Gffshore accounts like what we do eh?

These typical holiday makers you talk about . Are they the ones which rumour says have Samurai swords hung over their fireplaces in case of a return to Bushido Law, a dog named after a sportsman, televisions in the ratio of 1.2 per room, both colours of sauce, a Dyson kept openly in the hall because there's no shame in being clean, ashtrays and an Android smartphone with a Greggs rewards app on the home page.

If yes then I apologise I had completely forgotten them. I will get a letter off to Hammond this afternoon insisting that when he sets up our  Great Nations Fiscal and Monetary policy the needs of these people must be taken into account.

• Like 2