Something to put you off your dinner- woman's cockroach find sickens public

webfact

Something to put you off your dinner- woman's cockroach find sickens public

p2.jpg

Picture: Sanook

LAMPANG: -- A woman in Lampang felt like being sick as she prepared dinner on Sunday.

As she was cutting into a bar of compressed pork she noticed something odd and turned it over. She found a whole large cockroach- antennae and all embedded in her lunch, reports Sanook.

Manao said her mum had bought the offending item on Saturday and she was about to make some fried noodles. She cut the block in half intending to use the rest later for some spicy salad.

The product is a famous brand produced in Lampang. The story was shared 15,000 times on social media with many commenting that they eat that brand. 

Others commented sarcastically that the cockroach would be a good source of calcium.

Manao was later contacted by someone asking her to delete the picture as it could cause damage to the reputation of the company.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-25

"was later contacted by someone asking her to delete the picture as it could cause damage to the reputation of the company".

Those words are as big of a problem as finding the cockroach embedded in the food, it's a shield to hide behind and it needs to be changed.

One time I went into a small clothing shop in Phuket Town.  the attendant emerged from the back room,  and i saw that the back room had huge roaches crawling all over the floor.  they were the biggest i've ever seen.   however,  the attendant and the roaches seemed to have an unspoken agreement, for they never ventured out into the shop/clothing area.   it was like something out of Naked Lunch. 

36 minutes ago, grumbleweed said:

Look at it, absolutely revolting. I'm surprised any self respecting cockroach would be seen within a country mile of the damn stuff

More, I wonder what the factory making the compressed pork looks like?

Is the factory, the equipment etc., up to stated standards, is the cleanliness up to stated legal standards. What does the quality control / quality checking process look like? Up to required legal standards? Is everything dry? Is there an active regular professional vermin control action?

I'm not holding my breath.

My family never buys processed foods made in Thailand and I wouldn't buy the same products in many so called first world countries.  As a high school kid I worked in a sausage factory in school holidays. Put me off such processed foods for life.

Edited by scorecard

Always better to find a whole cockroach in your food than half of one !!!

And the response from the producers of the famous brand produced in Lampang is deafening.

Equally concerning is the apparent silence of the health authorities.

6 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

A smart person would have gone to the company, quietly, discussed the problem, and would have probably emerged with free pork for life :)

But would you want free pork for life from that particular company. Based on the example at hand, I doubt it.

19 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

A smart person would have gone to the company, quietly, discussed the problem, and would have probably emerged with free pork for life :)

Who would want the pork? Better ask for a lump sum of 10 Million Baht. Plus monthly payments of a Million Baht per month for her to promote the company's image and products.

1 hour ago, waldroj said:

Always better to find a whole cockroach in your food than half of one !!!

And the response from the producers of the famous brand produced in Lampang is deafening.

Equally concerning is the apparent silence of the health authorities.

Yeah! Like the only thing worse than a worm in your apple

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

"was later contacted by someone asking her to delete the picture as it could cause damage to the reputation of the company".

Those words are as big of a problem as finding the cockroach embedded in the food, it's a shield to hide behind and it needs to be changed.

Don't really see why you say that, if I was an owner or an employee of the company,  I too would want it taken down. No customers, no company, no company no work. I would certainly offer to compensate her to take it down as well. 

Edited by dotpoom

Enshrined in UK common law is a case where a snail was found in a drink - ginger beer if I enemies correctly. the famous event led to the law of negligence in the UK where manufacturers have a duty to the public whete the product cannot reasonably be thoroughly examined and based on the principle of 'love thy neighbour'.

In other words if you produce sonething and sell it to the public - you neighbour as a fellow human - then you must take care and if you don't then you are liable.

This case highlights a few reasons why Thai law does not meet the cut - and believe me there a a lot more reasons ....

Firstly there is no social responsibility ethic in Thai society which is reflected in few laws on the issue. So businesses feel no responsibility to anyone.

Secondly the crazy defamation laws and computer crime laws where even if you cheat, steal, or uilty of any one of a myriad of crimes no be can know because if you publish the  information the culprit can  sue YOU - madness to the extreme.

Thirdly there is little precedent and often first court judges resent presentation of precedent maybe because it is viewed as somehow undermining their authority.  The end result is that on the same facts no one knows the outcome because  it is all at the whim of the judge.  That means there is no clear understanding of law in the country because the result is a toss up 

Lastly the absurd fact that as a victim of crime you suffer practically all the coutside of bringing the case to court and  proving it because the courts just do not award costs at all. Costs in the cause are just not given. You may be awarded lawyer fees (based on a paltry sum that will likely be a tiny percentage of what any average lawyer would charge), you have only a 50/50 chance of getting your court fee back even if you win.  Thailand does not have taxing masters (judges who rule on the level of claimable costs ) because you cannot claim them.

So bringing a law suit in Thailand is a costly and unsure endeavour which by design is meant to be a privilege reserved for the rich or lawyers themselves who can work for free on their own cases and using that benefit to abuse ordinary people. Frankly not a very satisfactory situation.

A defamation suit against this poor wonan would not surprise me in the least!

7 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Don't really see why you say that, if I was an owner or an employee of the company,  I too would want it taken down. No customers, no company, no company no work. I would certainly offer to compensate her to take it down as well. 

The difference is your mindset to compensate and the Thai mindset to sue for making you lose face or business regardless the fault lies at your doorstep  

1 hour ago, English 1 said:

If people checked what processed muck that stuff is they wouldn't eat it.

Ever seen the video in the 'how do they make it' type programs on pork pies.

The filling is just pork fat and nothing more, reconstituted to a different texture, flavorings added etc.