Stolen KBank Visa Credit Card

Sorry if this has been covered 40 times already, but I couldn't find a similar topic...

My wife, now living with me in the US, had her KBank Visa credit card stolen along with one of our US credit cards. They were taken from her purse while at her work. It took us until the next day when I noticed some fraudulent charges on the US card to realize that both cards were stolen. We immediately called and cancelled both cards, filed a police report in the US, and disputed each fraudulent charge on both cards. The total charges on the KBank card was 125,000 THB, which was actually over her credit limit of 120,000 THB. It was used at stores such as Target, etc. starting with a small $5 charge and then subsequent charges of increasing amount all the way up to a final charge of $900.

All the charges on the US card were wiped off the account. On the KBank Visa card,  they performed their "investigation" and informed my wife that we "lost" the case, but that KBank would cover 30% of the disputed charges. With it being a Visa credit card, are we not protected against fraudulent charges? Shouldn't the bank have disputed the charge with the retail store and refused to provide payment without proper authorization? Obviously they didn't compare signatures or ask for ID with the credit card when it was offered for payment.  

We have requested some sort of file, report, or something besides their email response to my wife that properly documents the resolution to the case, but they will not send anything. We are living in the US and its difficult to communicate with them.  

Has anyone had a similar experience with KBank? Any advice on how to get this resolved? I'd really like not to pay 87,000THB for items we didn't purchase. 

Thanks

As you have painfully found out Thailand does not have consumer protection laws similar to the west like in the U.S.  In Thailand it seems to be more like bank protection laws versus consumer protection laws.  And it varies from country-to-country as to protection provided by Visa/Mastercard due to country regulations, but ultimately, the card-issuing bank is the main player you will need to deal with. 

I know the search function on the new and improved ThaiVisa doesn't seem to pull up much any more but of the many posts I've read over the  years most people do have to vigorously interface with their Thai bank who issued the card to come to an acceptable resolution....and a few posts even showed the bank covering all charges.   

You might want to look at info regarding the Office of Consumer Protection Board here in Thailand to see if they can help...it couldn't hurt.  Good luck.

http://www.donslifeinthailand.com/OCPB.html

http://www.ocpb.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN#

Last year i made a purchase with a K card, just a few days before the vendor went belly up, i never received any of the goods i paid for, so i contacted Kasikorn to start a "charge back" procedure, i received the whole amount back shortly after, despite the company not answering to anyone anymore, however it was only a few thousands Bahts, not much...