Thai youths dig up dog corpses to eat - then find out the animals had rabies

webfact

5 hours ago, Keesters said:

Buddhist Thailand would not euthanise a dog. They just let them die in pain. Mosquitoes, cockroaches, rats & mice however are killed. Can somebody explain the scripture logic in that?

You forgot people. No people killing each other . 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Tug said:

The kids were hungery,thank god you were born in a country were you could get a decent job,stop capping on those poor kids!

Because there are no living animals to catch and no farm vegetables to find in Issan . 

It probably had nothing to do with hunger. 

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I thought that as long as you didn't eat the brains or organs from an infected animal (or meat from around the bite area where infection entered body) and cooked the meat thoroughly you were ok to eat infected animals. 

Eating them raw or preparing the meat can be more dangerous though. 

I'm no expert however so I'm probably wrong  

Hells bells blues.... why would you even know something as disgusting as that?

second thoughts... don't tell

I thought that as long as you didn't eat the brains or organs from an infected animal (or meat from around the bite area where infection entered body) and cooked the meat thoroughly you were ok to eat infected animals. 

All I can say is they must have been hungry.

Amazing ,I know Thais eat lots of strange things but dead dogs with rabies ???????

One good thing is that an effort was made to get rid of some of the horrible infested soi dogs all over Thailand.

I have seen a policeman shoot a mad dog and everyone was happy as it wandered around biting people, then I hear of another story of a policeman fined for cruelty in shooting a mad dog.

We all know a concentrated effort should be made to clean up these mangy dogs, it is cruel to them and the people they terrorise.

One day ??? and counting.

13 minutes ago, farcanell said:

This story will result, if true, in a huge blowout in current statistics.... so I expect that it will be debunked tomorrow.

IMG_2447.PNG

Interesting post, but you didn't supply a source.

Are there any figures available in Thailand for the number of human deaths each year as a result of rabies?

18 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Interesting post, but you didn't supply a source.

Are there any figures available in Thailand for the number of human deaths each year as a result of rabies?

Couldnt find anything newer than  a 2007 study.... but all indications are that humans infected by rabies is all but a thing of the past, with four in 2012, way down from hundreds a decade earlier.

1 hour ago, lostinisaan said:

It's sad that they obviously don't have enough cash to buy pork or beef. 

you don't need to buy pork or beef, i live in a village in Isaan and many farmers set traps to catch field rats ( they are quite large) out of preference, not hunger or catch fish from the water run off from the fields. I have never seen anyone suffer hunger in my village, anyone in dire straights would be invited to share a meal even if it was only fish and rice.

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

Couldnt find anything newer than  a 2007 study.... but all indications are that humans infected by rabies is all but a thing of the past, with four in 2012, way down from hundreds a decade earlier.

It would be interesting to know why human rabies fatalities have decreased so dramatically.

Are fewer animals infected by rabies, or is it because pretty much 100% of people bitten go to the hospitals for rabies shots?

Edited by dick dasterdly

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

It would be interesting to know why human rabies fatalities have decreased so dramatically.

Are fewer animals infected by rabies, or is it because pretty much 100% of people bitten go to the hospitals for rabies shots?

An interesting story.... a hundred years ago, a royal princess died from a rabies bite... I believe it took another fifty years before the situation was seriously tackled, mainly by culling.

but since then, vaccinations have been developed and are being widely used, to good effect

WHO claim; 

IMG_2449.PNG

yes in Patts there is a dog population issue. packs roam and get fed by tree huggers in the mornings and possibly the nights.

these well-meaning souls do their karma thingy and feel all warm inside. BUT these dogs get fed and get healthy and then reproduce. Rabies and all.

if you can't look after your dog then it lands on the streets. some of the surplus budget that Patts has may go towards getting the dogs fixed and so preempt any transfer of rabies to a person.

maybe

maybe not

5 hours ago, callaway said:

It will get worse with the rice supposedly going to bring 5 or 6 baht a kilo this harvest

Rice costs 31 baht a kg at the Makro and around 40-45 on the markets in BKK....If the farmers get 5-6baht they don't know how to do business...

But i won't buy it on the market or from any vendor because they always like to overcharge me so  we eat rice from the Makro and don't care if the farmers get 5 baht. Som na na...

6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Darwin Awards go to people who manage to kill themselves thus removing them from the gene pool. These guys merely caused inconvenience to the hospital and shame to their parents..

Yes but we can still hope....

3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Difficult to elect the biggest morons; those who buried the carcasses instead of burning them, or those who decided to dig them up to eat.

I think the eaters just got it, it was a close run thing only a short head in it

Being a vegetarian, I really don't give a toss if I'm honest.

meat is meat as far as i'm concerned

Is that what you tell the girls.........so how often do you toss the salad?...lol

Edited by Nasrullah

8 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

What the hell I am reading here? 

Some kids randomly dig up some dogs and think to themselves 'hmmm with a bit of salt n pepper this is gonna taste like KFC' .. then proceed to cut the dead animal up and eat it!

Meanwhile they probably all have a facebook, instagram and what not account and act like cave men?? Highly doubt there was a shortage of food and people are starving in their village. 

What's wrong with the world?!

What's wrong with the world is that Facebook, Instagram, video games, Twitter and the rest do not turn primates into civilized people, it's the other way round. These things are not a product of culture, they are the result of human greed. They are not meant to help or educate or improve, they are meant to make money.

The first thing smartphones  develop is narcissism and selfishness, real fast and to a pathological degree. Once that is secured, anything can happen, while the line between real and virtual becomes blurry.

Edited by Yann55

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Right, that's worth knowing for the next time I fancy a bit of dead, headless dog.

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Well, I'm coming round your place for dinner .....

11 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I remember when I was a teenager, we were always digging up dead animals for party snacks, good times.

:sick:

Yes, nothing strange or obscene about this practice. There is even a Beatles song with the lyric " Yellow matter custard, dripping from a dead dog's eye".

I think the threat of rabies is the most exaggerated illness in thailand...been here 16 years never seen a rabid dog and count on one hand being chased on my bicycle...ride regularly....

10 minutes of driving, unsafe and high risk behaviors observed all over the place...

foreigners need to better prioritize their hierarchy of complaints...