Chats will not be monitored in Thailand, LINE app says

webfact

6 hours ago, JAG said:

On Friday, Deputy Prime Minister Prajin Juntong told reporters the Thai government had discussed the matter with LINE's executives based in Thailand, saying the company had agreed to set up a special team to monitor users' content.

Full story: https://aboutcroatia.net/news/world/chats-will-not-be-monitored-thailand-line-app-says-42438

-- ABOUT CROATIA 2016-11-01

Another government announcement contradicted by the subject?

Yes, a pattern seems to be emerging on the subject - a consistent stream of lies or more charitably a profound stupidity.My money's on the latter.

The official Line response from Line in Tokyo, besides slapping down the proposal to monitor conversations, also makes it clear that any approach by the Thai government should be at diplomatic level and not directly to the company.There's a technical issue -they say - also in that Line communications are encrypted and it's not clear how straightforward it would be to monitor communications.(I have my doubts about this and have little doubt the Japanese could monitor if they had a mind to).

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

Yes, a pattern seems to be emerging on the subject - a consistent stream of lies or more charitably a profound stupidity.My money's on the latter.

The official Line response from Line in Tokyo, besides slapping down the proposal to monitor conversations, also makes it clear that any approach by the Thai government should be at diplomatic level and not directly to the company.There's a technical issue -they say - also in that Line communications are encrypted and it's not clear how straightforward it would be to monitor communications.(I have my doubts about this and have little doubt the Japanese could monitor if they had a mind to).

Both sides trying to save face in a culture that practices it. 

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

What are they so scared of?

I can imagine millions of baht spent on checking the people gossiping. Is it really worth the cost?

The short answer to that is 'Yes'.

I would like to write more but am unable to.

Just now, elgordo38 said:

You have to stand back a bit and weigh the comments and who is making them. Line is a reputable company  and we of course know all about the junta and its machinations. Big business vs a wanna be big government OK I am not convinced either.  

The junta says LINE is on board and they say they're not.

The junta has a habit of speaking on behalf of others, all favourable of course and LINE realizes they'll lose customers if the public knows or suspects the company is assisting the junta monitor messages.

Who do we believe, a junta with a track record of telling porkies or a company that may have to lie to safeguard their business interests ?

Just now, NongKhaiKid said:

The junta has a habit of speaking on behalf of others, all favourable of course and LINE realizes they'll lose customers if the public knows or suspects the company is assisting the junta monitor messages.

Who do we believe, a junta with a track record of telling porkies or a company that may have to lie to safeguard their business interests ?

Throw their names in a hat and pick one. 

Well that's fine by me, they can monitor Line as much as they want as I don't use it, but on a slightly different tack, I wonder how many Thaivisa users are in fact monitors working for the government keeping an eye on what goes on here ? Just saying........................

21 minutes ago, baboon said:

The short answer to that is 'Yes'.

I would like to write more but am unable to.

I would disagree it isn't worth it as there are far too many avenues to 'gossip'. I understand we are unable to discuss it more.

You might have been able to control the information given out 70 to 10 years ago but now, not a chance.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I would disagree it isn't worth it as there are far too many avenues to 'gossip'. I understand we are unable to discuss it more.

Perhaps I should have written 'As far as the junta is concerned, yes'. Personally I think - whoops, this is TVF. I can't say what I think to any meaningful degree.

Why does the military need to monitor for people posting bad things. With what's happened recently to people posting malicious comments, the average netizen in Thailand will report you anyway. I'm guessing this is more got to do with gaining access to big companies or individuals accounts a sort of legitimate corporate spying and to check on anti coup activities as well.

Also they can use it to check the loyalty of their own team.

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I don't see there is any evidence at all that LIne has been dishonest or even misleading in its position.On the other hand the second party's transparency/honesty (or lack of) in reporting on global social media's co-operation is a matter of record.

u use a thai isp to connect to the world, so believe there is technology that can intercept every incomming & outgoing bit & byte

There is such technology, they can look for keywords, some can decipher heavily encripted code but even with the best technology some will be impossible to track or decipher immediately. Look at the recent international hacks that have embarrassed great nations across the globe, no nation can ensure full security, there's always a back door.

Surely the government spokesman was not lying about the LINE company agreeing to monitor chats on their behalf? That would not be a good image for Thailand if the government spokesman lies.

What I don't understand is - if Thai people are 99.93% completely happy with everything about Thailand, why does the government feel the need to eavesdrop on their good happy people so much?

3 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Surely the government spokesman was not lying about the LINE company agreeing to monitor chats on their behalf? That would not be a good image for Thailand if the government spokesman lies.

What I don't understand is - if Thai people are 99.93% completely happy with everything about Thailand, why does the government feel the need to eavesdrop on their good happy people so much?

They're worried about the .07%

Most Thais, my wife included, have no idea who watches there print content.....of course Line, Google, Facebook and etc, will not abide the Thai government requests to block, monitor, report etc.

Unfortunately, many just don't understand the vast extent of surveylance available to the authorities....and in poorly computer literate Thailand, this can and is leading to awful consequences for those accused of LM !!

Edited by ChrisY1

11 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

What are they so scared of?

I can imagine millions of baht spent on checking the people gossiping. Is it really worth the cost?

With connections going through a government controlled single gateway all they need do is to monitor for a set of phrases or words which constitute lese-majesti (provided they have access to the encrypted content). That can be performed automatically and any matches logged to include the IMEI and phone number of the offending device. Depending on how many logs are created, it shouldn't cost more than 100k per annum.

LINE chats are encrypted by default provided both parties have the setting called "Letter Sealing" enabled.

LINE.jpg

7 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Well that's fine by me, they can monitor Line as much as they want as I don't use it, but on a slightly different tack, I wonder how many Thaivisa users are in fact monitors working for the government keeping an eye on what goes on here ? Just saying........................

Well there are one or two I've crossed that perhaps just might, if not actually monitoring, be prepared to "dob in" the odd individual.

One did tell me, in what I construed as a thinly veiled threat - it was after a fairly acrimonious (on his part) exchange; that he hoped "for my sake that I was not in Thailand".

Incidentally, I don't consider any of my "regular sparring partners" amongst them...

2 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Because it's not a democratically elected government. The current administration is an authoritarian one and as long as you don't upset them and do everything you're told you have a certain amount of liberty. But they'll want to keep an eye on you just in case you change your mind.

Glad that LINE is not towing the line! Online activity is not private anywhere these days and there is no privacy or freedom of speech anymore. That said...it's always heartening when a particular company, politician or government shows respect for privacy and simple personal liberties such as freedom of speech. :thumbsup:

ALL governments today want Orwellian Big Brother control of The Sheeple. Thailand seems to be striving to be a world leader in this aspect. Even the USA has forgotten that it's government is of and by the people. To serve, represent and protect it's citizens...NOT the other way around! :post-4641-1156693976:

"Thailand seems to be striving to be a world leader in this aspect". If I were planning to become a citizen of the UK or visit, say, Australia I'd be much. much more worried about those governments' demand for "biometric data". Fingerprints and eye scans are now mandatory - that's way more intrusive than some Third World country trying to monitor the drivel most people utter when chatting online. I'd be looking at Apple's iMessage or the Telegram App if I wanted some secure, subversive chat.

19 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Wasn't that done by a contractor, albeit paid by the FBI?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-paid-professional-hackers-one-time-fee-to-crack-san-bernardino-iphone/2016/04/12/5397814a-00de-11e6-9d36-33d198ea26c5_story.html

The FBI had a one-time use court order to access a specific phone call data so wasn't it legal?

You must remember, it was to get information, from the phone, not "monitor" what is being sent and received over a network "live," very different to what the thai dictatorial government wants.

52 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

"Thailand seems to be striving to be a world leader in this aspect". If I were planning to become a citizen of the UK or visit, say, Australia I'd be much. much more worried about those governments' demand for "biometric data". Fingerprints and eye scans are now mandatory - that's way more intrusive than some Third World country trying to monitor the drivel most people utter when chatting online. I'd be looking at Apple's iMessage or the Telegram App if I wanted some secure, subversive chat.

Strange comparison, your reference to biometric data etc is simply to prove identity.... what are you hiding/running from?