Best locally availalble router for DD-WRT / Tomato

Crossy

My trusty Linksys WRT-54GL has finally gone to the great network in the sky.

So I need a replacement, preferably a unit with more CPU and memory, at a sensible cost and readily available in Thailand.

Thoughts anyone?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find that TP-Link have a decent selection of routers that generally allow for fiddling with, say, the default DNS settings which is what I need to do for my UnoTelly access to outside-Thailand television services. They can readily over-ride the settings in my True modem. Fortune is definitely the place to go, so convenient for the MRT. I took a friend there recently to find a pair of Dlink Powerline adaptors and we didn't need to go past the first shop we found

1 hour ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I find that TP-Link have a decent selection of routers that generally allow for fiddling with, say, the default DNS settings 

Yes, but he said he wants it for DD-WRT or Tomato, both of which overwrite the TP-Link firmware.

I would advise against TP-Link for this anyway; in my experience and, from what I read, that of others, I get the impression that they are easier to brick than other makes.

I've an Asus RT-AC68U, excellent. Here in the states was <150 usd.

Asus RT-AC68U Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router ฿6,990.00

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/rt-ac68u-dual-band-wireless-ac1900-gigabit-router-p017113/

Very good range...

Thru 3 walls and into my rear guesthouse, 150 feet,

On 5GHz, 3 solid bars, On 2.4 GHz 5 solid bars.

Around 15 wi-fi devices in the house + media streaming from USB thumb.

CPU never above 15%, RAM used at 25%.

Yes can use DD-WRT or Tomato, I don't.

The Asus RT-AC78U looks decent...

Asus RT-AC87U Wireless AC2400 Dual-band Gigabit Router ฿9,890.00

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/rt-ac87u-wireless-ac2400-dual-band-gigabit-router-p020769/

I almost bought an ASUS RT-AC68U router yesterday....Bt6500 at a mall here in western Bangkok.  I need to do some router upgrading myself.  The RT-AC68U is indeed highly rated...rated #1 in many categories for an AC1900 router.   Me like ASUS routers based on my personal experience with an older ASUS router I own and of course the excellent reviews ASUS routers generally get.

Well checking more around seems like I should perhaps shell out more money.

The one Pib is looking at seems indeed very good.

I am still trying to figuring what the different class means: AC1200 all the way up to 5300, well I found something here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/32621-smallnetbuilders-classification-system-for-wifi-products-2015

Seems like higher class gives higher speed generally, which with my current 12Mb download speed is not important but rest assured that I will get a faster connection next year, so better be prepared.

Well looks like Crossy's topic is pretty much derailed, sorry about that.

The number is the estimated maximum throughput; e.g. the RT-AC5300:

•  

• 802.11ac tri-band Wi-Fi router boosts speeds up to 5334Mbps for low-latency online gaming, smooth 4K UHD video playback and extremely fast file-sharing.

That's why I've got the Talon AD7200 as well, although it's not much use without the 802.11ad adapters and they are not exactly flooding the market.

Edited by Chicog

Crossey is upgrading drom a Linksys WRT-54GL

That is a 802.11abg unit.

Don't know what nics/adapters he has,

nor his pipe from the ISP.

The ASUS RT-AC68U will handle everything he can throw at it.

Of course, it all depends on the slowest link in the chain.

Here, I've nothing wired.

Here, I've fiber 1Gbps up and down.

All of our smartphones/tablets/chromebook,

do 802.11n (some at 1/2 n).

They get around 150~300 mbs (2.4 Ghz).

Friend has an Apple (something) phone gets 400 mbs (5 Ghz).

The Asus and HP laptop get 700 or mbs (5 Ghz).

The 2 desktops w/ usb adaptors get upto 850 mbs (5 Ghz).

Anyway I digress.

Point is this...

Get router, reload latest firmware, config it. Test.

Set up your devices. Test.

I do suggest using 2.4 Ghz for the phones.

And 5 Ghz for desktops/laptops (if they can utilize it).

One final point concerning the router config...

Use different SSID's for 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz.

I named them 'A2' and 'A5'.

Done, works?

Then play with a new DD-WRT or Tomato firmware.

If it an't broke, don't mess w/ it.

Oh yeah,

While I've had TP-Link routers. I won't mess with them.

Asus or Netgear only for me.

Crossey, Don't go nuts on this new router (price).

In 2 years, who knows what will be available.

KISS method works.

Crossey is upgrading from a Linksys WRT-54GL

That is a 802.11abg unit.

Don't know what nics/adapters he has,

nor his pipe from the ISP.

The ASUS RT-AC68U will handle everything he can throw at it.

Of course, it all depends on the slowest link in the chain.

Here, I've nothing wired.

Here, I've fiber 1Gbps up and down.

All of our smartphones/tablets/chromebook,

do 802.11n (some at 1/2 n).

They get around 150~300 mbs (2.4 Ghz).

Friend has an Apple (something) phone gets 400 mbs (5 Ghz).

The Asus and HP laptop get 700 or mbs (5 Ghz).

The 2 desktops w/ usb adaptors get upto 850 mbs (5 Ghz).

Anyway I digress.

Point is this...

Get router, reload latest firmware, config it. Test.

Set up your devices. Test.

I do suggest using 2.4 Ghz for the phones.

And 5 Ghz for desktops/laptops (if they can utilize it).

One final point concerning the router config...

Use different SSID's for 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz.

I named them 'A2' and 'A5'.

Done, works?

Then play with a new DD-WRT or Tomato firmware.

If it an't broke, don't mess w/ it.

Oh yeah,

While I've had TP-Link routers. I won't mess with them.

Asus or Netgear only for me.

Crossey, Don't go nuts on this new router (price).

In 2 years, who knows what will be available.

KISS method works.

Edited by howto
spelling

I have long been a fan of ASUS networking gear but I start to baulk at paying 10k (and more) for what is still a consumer grade WiFi router.

At those price levels you can buy some serious hardware and install pfSense. You can even virtualize pfSense and run multiple instances on the same hardware.

pfSense is fantastic and free. It is also surprisingly easy to install and configure.

For the WiFi you can buy (e.g. Xiaomi) AC routers for approx USD30 and they perform fine.. At that price you can put several of them around the house.

I am tempted by the ASUS RT-AC88U.

Eight gigabit ports would allow decluttering of my desk by losing the gigabit switch which resides there, one less box, one less power outlet used.

If I can also lose the USB print server that's another box out of the way :)

If the WiFi works as well as is claimed I may avoid adding access points to improve coverage in the sala and outside sitting areas.

The stock firmware looks strong and there's still the option of DD-WRT if I get the urge.

While I'm playing with the AC88U and I have the Talon to look forward to, my current workhorse is the Netgear R8000, which I believe is cheaper.

It's an alternative to consider, especially as it has a simple checkbox to optimise it for video streaming if you use that a lot.

Hi Chicog,

That's an impressive router.

(I'm talking about the 5300 model, sorry, posted under the wrong heading).

I've been looking at using a vpn to connect to sites.

The Identity Cloaker (IC) people had a look at the router specs I am using now and suggested setting up a vpn on my router for all traffic outgoing.

It would seem that this router you bought has the ability to be set up for vpns.

If I bought this router I wouldn't need to subscribe to IC.

I am using CAT wifi installation, and was wondering can I change the router from the CAT supplied one to the ASUS one without upsetting CAT or my connection.

Sorry I am a bit vague, but technically, I am only slowly getting back into electronics.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I have a Huawei Fibre Router from my ISP that can't be changed, so I just turned off all the Wifi and basically use it as a modem, with the NetGear inside managing the home network.

BTW the Netgear firmware (and I'm assuming the others) normally has a VPN section. I subscribe to IronSocket, so you just generate an .ovpn file on their website for the appropriate server, save it and upload it to the appropriate section on the Netgear.

Thereafter any device that attaches to it will be VPN'ed automagically.

As FYI regarding the ASUS AC68 which apparently comes in two models now...the older AC68U and the newer AC68P.  

Apparently the major difference between the U and P model is the P model has a new/more powerful processor and the U model USB 3 port problem has been fixed....by problem I mean it was hard to actually get it to stay at the higher USB 3 speed and it would downshift to USB 2 speed.  However, in Wifi data throughput tests the U model noses out the P model.

On the ASUS U.S. website the U model is no longer listed...been replaced by the P model.  However on the ASUS Thailand website only the U model is listed.

Detailed Comparison of U and P models

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32609-asus-rt-ac68p-dual-band-wireless-ac1900-gigabit-router-reviewed

• 5 weeks later...

Got the ASUS RT-AC88U works well, the AsusWRT firmware is a fork of Tomato anyway so I've not bothered with DD-WRT.

I have loaded the Merlin enhancement of the AsusWRT https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/ it adds features and fixes some bugs (I couldn't get the dual-WAN function to work properly without it).

Anyone with an Asus router that runs AsusWRT would do well to look at Merlin.

• 10 months later...

Old thread but rather than start another, I'm looking at the ASUS RT-AC88U or the 68 U/P to replace my Apple AirPort Extreme.  It's been OK but it's performance was never up to the hype and, to be honest, I found it barely better than the wifi on the cheapo router supplied by the ISP!  As such I'm a little reluctant to shell out up to 7k for the 68 U/P and even more reluctant to shell out 9-10 for the 88 unless the the performance really is exceptional.  I'd also be looking at buying a router that's capable of running a VPN should I ever decide to run a router based VPN.  AFAIK, both of them are.

I'll start ploughing through the specs and reviews of these later today (yawn) but, in the meantime, how are these routers performing for those that have them and, particularly for those that have used both, is it really worth paying the extra few k for the 88 over the 68? 

I'm getting ready to buy another router myself...and it will be an ASUS router since I like them/have owned several over the years...and own two right now (one is an old N300 router I no longer use and the other an AC1200 router I use as my downstairs access point).   Although the new router will be used in Access Point mode only "upstairs" and a person could buy a good "Access Mode only type router" for a little less I still want one that can do various modes such as Router, Media Bridge, Access Point, etc...which I might use in the future.  

Plus, I'm only looking for an AC1200 or AC1300 speed model vs the AC1900 68u/p model and the AC3100 88U model you mentioned above.   Quite a big speed capability and price difference between the 68 and 88 models...it almost like comparing apples and oranges.  Additionally, since I'll need to continue to use the ISP's-provided fiber optics router as my very front end router even I can get the ISP to set it to bridge mode I need to keep in mind it will always possibly remain somewhat of a governor on fully utilizing all the features of a high end router.  But as mentioned, my main use and need right now for something other than the ISP-provided router is 2.4 & 5Ghz band Access Points with good distance and speed. 

Plus the 88 comes with 8 LAN ports vs the typical 4  LAN ports.   But I guess if you need a whole lot of LAN ports at "one location" the 88 would come in handy although a simple and much cheaper switch, say like the D-Link DGS-1005G switch at around Bt1000 (I bought at ITCity) would give you 4 additional gigabit ports by using just one LAN port from the router.  I mention the DGS-1005 since I've had one for about 6 months and its super small and works like a charm...zero setup....I use it to connect 3 VOIP devices.

Anyway, at this point in time I've pretty much settled on buying an ASUS RT-AC1300G (AC1300) which is a new model that came just over the last few months and it cost around Bt4K give or take a little.   It includes a qaud core  CPU and 256Mb RAM which should be beneficial.     I've only found two fairly thorough reviews on it so far (by thorough I mean a good review that includes real world speed & distance testing).  Go to this 1st link for the review or this 2nd link.

I only need an AC1200/1300 router because that is good up  to 887Mb link speeds on the 5Ghz band which far exceeds the speed of my AIS 200/50 plan.  Now a 887Mb link speed does not mean you will get "real world throughput" of 887Mb....more like around half (max) of that in the real world data throughput if little Wifi interference which is still more than enough for my internet 200Mb plan and what little bit I use a home server to source files.

Also, keep in mind a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.  For example you can have an AC1900 speed router which will give a max 5GHz band link speed of 1300Mb  "if" you have a Wifi circuit in your computer/phone/etc., that is a 3x3 transceiver....and a max of 867Mb with a 2x2 transciever....and only 433Mb with a 1x1 transceiver.   And remember your real world data throughput will probably only reach about half of the link speed when close and with little/no interference.  So be sure you know what speed transceiver you have in your computer/phone/etc at it's one-half of your router-client speed chain.

Not uncommon for computer/phone transceivers to be only 2x2 or 1x1 transceiver circuits which means its max link speed would be 867Mb or 433Mb, respectively.  So, in this cases an AC1900 is overkill....probably will never be used to it's fullest speed capability.    Take a look at below chart for some router to client speed relationship with the router being one link of the speed chain and your end device being the other link.

Also be sure to get a router with MU-MIMO capability...and once again your client device has to have MU capability otherwise the MU capability of the router will not be used....MIMO will still be used just in a different and slower way than MU-MIMO.  Also, MU-MINO should give you beam forming to help increase signal strength towards you client devices if the client devices has MU-MIMO capability.   I so easy now days with router hype advertising to buy a router which is big time overkill, especially if a person client devices can not take advantage of the bells and whistles speed features on the high end router.   

In closing, this short and layman's article titled the Features That Matter On Your Next Router is around 3 years old but still pretty much applies to buying  a router today.

CaptureMax5GhzBandLinkRate.JPG.2a1e6b3483d9f82ae449485ec5181838.JPG

Interesting. Thanks.

Yeah I'm guessing that the 88 is overkill for me over the 68. At the end of the day I only need it to provide the WiFi in the home (and hope in that regard that it's better than the Airport Extreme - which isn't bad but not brilliant) AND to allow me to install a router based VPN (which I think all the modern Asus are capable of). Happy to spend where I need to, equally happy to save if I'm able too.

I'll have a look at the RT AC 1300G you mention. I'm on AIS 50/20 so it'll sure be enough for that. Like I say, better than the AEBS at WiFi would be great, I'd be WELL unimpressed if it was worse 55555.

PS: I'm using my current router on the back end of an AIS fibre optic modem / router. No problem getting them to switch it to Bridge mode. Mailed them and they said they'd call me back after a couple of days when the tech had made the change.

Sent using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, SooKee said:

PS: I'm using my current router on the back end of an AIS fibre optic modem / router. No problem getting them to switch it to Bridge mode. Mailed them and they said they'd call me back after a couple of days when the tech had made the change.

Just to be sure, has the switch to bridge mode already occurred or they are in the process of doing it over the next few days?

I'd be very interested in knowing once the AIS- provided router is set to bridge mode as to what you had to do on your personally bought router?   Like once they set the AIS router to bridge mode did your internet connection (LAN or Wifi) stop working until you made some setting changes in your personal router, etc. 

33 minutes ago, Pib said:

Just to be sure, has the switch to bridge mode already occurred or they are in the process of doing it over the next few days?

I'd be very interested in knowing once the AIS- provided router is set to bridge mode as to what you had to do on your personally bought router?   Like once they set the AIS router to bridge mode did your internet connection (LAN or Wifi) stop working until you made some setting changes in your personal router, etc. 

Did it about 6 months ago IIRC, thereabouts anyway.  It was really easy.  Like I say, just dropped AIS Customer Help a mail with the fibre account number and asked them to switch it to bridge mode.  They mailed back and said wait for a call.  Very helpful girl from the Fibre Team called me, confirmed I wanted the change.  Said they'd call back within 1-2 days to confirm the change had been done and told me how I'd need to log on which was basically entering details on the PPPoE 'page' of my router settings.  Again, IIRC both the user name and password were my Fibre account number.

As is happens I noticed the internet just stopped working on about the second day IIRC and I just connected up the AEBS as previously instructed and it connected fine.  About 30 minutes after that the girl called me and told me the change had been carried out and I could now use my router.  Said she'd wait while I checked it but I said, done already :). No other changes made.

PS: I see Invade IT have the router you mention, 3,990.  Always been impressed with Invade, 14 day free returns policy etc., knowledgeable staff and speedy service.  Might order from them Monday.  The reviews look good.  I'm assuming the Asus WRT will be much the same functionality wise as DD-WRT so it should (I hope) be easy enough to install the VPN.  Quite like the look of the Asus Router phone app too.

Edited by SooKee

Thanks.   I expect my switch to bridge mode may be a little more detailed since it's a fiber optics router vs VDSL router like you have.   I just may go the bridge router in the near future.

Yea, I may order the ASUS RT-AC1300UHP from invadeIT also because I can't find it in a brick-and-mortar stores/malls here in western Bangkok....I've looked for the last week.  And I even went across the river to Pantip on Ngamwongwan Rd whose 3d and 4th floors is all computer stuff and couldn't find one.  Didn't want to go further into central Bangkok like to the bigger Pantip on Petchaburi Rd due to the terrible traffic/parking.   I've ordered two things from InvadeIT over the last few years....easy orders...items arrived fast.

Hope whatever router you do buy speeds up your Wifi.   I not an Apple person and unfamilar with how good or not so good the Airport Extreme is.   I looked it up in Wikipedia and see there have been 6 generations of Airport Extremes so far with the 6th generation AC version coming out in mid 2013.  And remember if you speed don't increase with your new router then it's probably a Wifi interference problem and/or your computer/devices only have  1x1 radios versus 2x2 or 3x3 radios.   Got to be sure both ends of the router-client chain can enable higher Wifi speeds....the most powerful/expensive router is not going to improve you Wifi speed by much if there is a lot of Wifi interference or your client devices only have 1x1 Wifi radios 

Edit:  I was doing some more searching for the RT-AC1300UHP.  Apparently a store called New Visions on the 4th floor of Pantip on Petchaburi have them for Bt4200.  Or find their store on Lazada and it goes for Bt3888.

Edited by Pib

Personally, I'd review the type of custom firmware which is both stable and meets all of your requirements, and then see which routers have a release.

Nothing worse than sifting through specs, spending serious money then finding the available releases all have some issue(s) (no on-going support, a basic feature you want like "repeater-bridge" doesn't work, certain VPN protocols are dodgy, etc.). Been there, tossed the router.

While you can buy almost any router from ebay / amazon usa, I wouldn't bother buying limited available models locally. tax is paid automatically and delivered via semi-express courrier.

I'm using lede on wrt3200acm now, 1.8 ghz dualcore arm a9 marvell cpu, can take anything you can throw at it.

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:17 PM, Pib said:

I may order the ASUS RT-AC1300UHP from invadeIT

Pib did you go for this in the end? I noticed Invade It have it at 3,990 baht.. I did actually see the Asus model in JJB in Tukcom the other day in Pattaya at the same price.

I am also in the market for a new router as the storm last weekend broke parts of my current TP Link and after reading this thread I started to look into what I wanted and the Asus looks like it has what I need at a reasonable price so thank you for the heads up. 

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, Pib said:

I've only found two fairly thorough reviews on it so far (by thorough I mean a good review that includes real world speed & distance testing).

Just found this https://www.amazon.com/RT-ACRH13-Dual-Band-AC1300-4-port-Gigabit/dp/B01LXL1AR8 which seems to be exactly the same model which has been around about a year in the US. Only $68 there however...........

Interestingly never seems to have made the UK.

So if you did go for it how is it?