Self Operation Suture Advice

rhythmworx

I'm planning on doing a couple of minor operations on myself, I have sterile medical #6 surgical blades, isopropanol and iodine.

My concern is the suture, are butterfly plasters good enough to keep a wound closed?

They will be under dressings once complete, I expect a little oozing which is fine but wondered if the plasters are up to the job.

I'd prefer not to have to give myself stitches if possible.

Under no circumstances should you attempt any sort of self-surgery on a scale that could possibly require suturing let alone attempt to suture yourself. Ditto anything that would need butterfly plasters to control bleeding.

The furthest I personally would go would be to (carefully) lance a superficial abscess (boil).

I'm planning on doing a couple of minor operations on myself, I have sterile medical #6 surgical blades, isopropanol and iodine.

My concern is the suture, are butterfly plasters good enough to keep a wound closed?

They will be under dressings once complete, I expect a little oozing which is fine but wondered if the plasters are up to the job.

Go for it mate, make sure you get some pics!

By engaging in self-injury, a person intends to:
Obtain relief from a negative feeling or mental state
Resolve an interpersonal difficulty, like a disagreement with a friend or loved one
Deal with an intrapersonal problem, like boredom
Induce a positive feeling state

Maybe a lobotomy might suit you better - Good Luck !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some cysts to remove, it's a simple procedure, I've decided not to do the one on my back, my arms aren't stretchy enough, plus that one seems sub dermal. I'm just gonna use dressings and butterfly stitches, its only 2 small incisions an inch or so long.

@ScotBkk incorrect, no self injury or any of your other diagnosees

3 hours ago, rhythmworx said:

I have some cysts to remove, it's a simple procedure, I've decided not to do the one on my back, my arms aren't stretchy enough, plus that one seems sub dermal. I'm just gonna use dressings and butterfly stitches, its only 2 small incisions an inch or so long.

@ScotBkk incorrect, no self injury or any of your other diagnosees

Let me guess, you are also the anesthesiologist for this ? Just make sure your malpractice premiums are paid up

21 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

^^^Can't get rid of that box.

Anesthetic for a cut with a surgical knife on a numb area.

You should of been round our house when my dad was alive, I had a nasty cut and ran in the house shouting him.

"right just wait there and put pressure on it with this tea towel, while I boil the pliers and get my fishing line out of the shed"

^ funny...it was my dad that did the exacto knife business but only to himself...

he ran outta vodka and gave up, fortunately...

I've had a number of sebaceous cysts removed but only under surgical conditions...I get the propensity fer the little buggers (cysts) from my dad, obviously...he just had a DIY approach to handling the problem...

Just keep a tube of superglue nearby. If the suturing fails you can sprinkle some glue at the edges and close the wound. Careful not to stick your fingers to the wound...

Twice I used superglue to close a nasty gash which would have required stitching and leave a scar.

Archived