What Do You Think About Tuk Tuks? Do You Ride Them?

Andrew C

Once and once only. My grandchildren were visiting with me from the UK and wanted to ride one. They being small and agile had no problem with the entry and exit. Me, I struggled to get in, and getting out was more than difficult. Only good thing about the experience was the driver. He was more than helpfull when I wanted to take photos.

50 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Rarely use them...  I use the Song Taews... cheaper and less likely to try to overcharge you.

The contraption is delightful.  The people who drive them are less so.  They are mostly uneducated, tough nuts who charge more than a taxi.  Been told good drivers exist, but never met one.  Clown Ikkey is a pleasant sight when he is out and about. 

When I first came to Bangkok they were a great way of getting around. Cheap, got thru' heavy traffic easily

and were very cheap, especially when the wife either accepted their fare or waved them away. Nowadays they are a waste of time and only good for a one off tourist trip. In 1982 when I got married a tuk-tuk got us from the Thai Passport Control to the Australian Embassy before they closed and I gave him 1000 baht tip. This was in peak hour. You had to be there to see it.

A bunch of crooks, best avoided if possible, when I first came to Bangkok, I would say that most of the tuk tuks, moto taxis, and regular taxis

attempted some jiggery piggery in some way. I never go near any of them unless I'm with a Thai person.

24 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

The contraption is delightful.  The people who drive them are less so.  They are mostly uneducated, tough nuts who charge more than a taxi.  Been told good drivers exist, but never met one.  Clown Ikkey is a pleasant sight when he is out and about. 

I agree with you, but I think it would be hard to find a Thai "tough nut" on his own.

Edited by possum1931

They are dangerous, uncomfortable and for tourists a rip off.  But I love them.  Got a couple of drivers that I call if I need a ride and they take me for never more than a metered cab.  Often a lot quicker and especially when the blockades were on they were a life saver as cabs were finding it very hard to get through.  But generally they are difficult, particularly in areas like Silom Rd.  I find speaking Thai and already having a good idea of a fair price is the only way to go. 

Never forgiven them for my first trip to bangkok 20 years ago when I was promised a nice tour for just 20 baht.. I resisted the gems and suits but paid about 500% to much for the chubby hooker

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

In Chiangmai they still use many of the old ones with the 2 cycle engine.  A lot of fume around them and behind them.

I tough they could get small business loan to upgrade.

A real pest on the roads. And they are not cheap ,especially if you are a tourist.

I use them at every opportunity. I can usually cut a deal with a tuk tuk driver, whereas the taxi mafia wants 300 baht to drive me around the block. I don't need UK/USA prices in Thailand. Tuk tuks serve a purpose.

I ride them from the BTS station about 1 km to my home late in the evening or when it is raining.  The local ones that service pasengers (and others) at this place are always polite, have never tried to overcharge me, and often assist me with any package I might be carrying (possibly because of my advanced age).  In tourist areas, I don't think I would use them altho again, have met a few that always acknowledge me and say hello even though they know I am just passing by.  There are good and bad in many professions that deal with tourists - I try to look at the positive side of things.

4 hours ago, sercoed said:

When I first came to Bangkok they were a great way of getting around. Cheap, got thru' heavy traffic easily

and were very cheap, especially when the wife either accepted their fare or waved them away. Nowadays they are a waste of time and only good for a one off tourist trip. In 1982 when I got married a tuk-tuk got us from the Thai Passport Control to the Australian Embassy before they closed and I gave him 1000 baht tip. This was in peak hour. You had to be there to see it.

Agreed. In my early years here they were the main way of getting around; there were no motorcycle taxis and no (or few) metered taxis. I can't remember when metered taxis became common - mid nineties? Some of my best memories of Bangkok back in the eighties/early nineties include racing across town at night in the back of tuk-tuks.

Nowadays I virtually never use them