Why doesn't Thailand offer Permanent Residency base on marriage?

You cannot have your cake and eat it. The only way would be PR which is very easy, if you fullfill their requirements being: 

- earning enough money (I hear THB 110'000/month) and paying taxes accordingly

- have Thai dependents (i.e. wife, underage kids etc.)

- be an investor

The rest is a walk in the park; I made it almost 30 years ago and I have lots of friends who went down the same avenue. 

Thailand clearly does not want the cheapies and the cheaties; a lesson most European countries could learn.

Should you not make THB 110'000 a month then you still could pay taxes on this or THB 120'000/monthly. Taxation is based on your yearly earning and gets painful once you hit the THB 3.5million + league. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

they are going to have to do something at some stage as the birth rate has fallen to about 1.6, no where near what thailand needs to sustain its population. economies with falling populations generally dont preform very well.

And given someone PR is going to stop the fall in births how exactly!!! 

And can you give us some links for this coment from yourself

from what i have seen probably more than 80% western/thai relationships end in less 10 years. i know a few that have gone past 10 years but even those are because kids are involved. 

I expect not it's just your thoughts.

Edited by Deepinthailand
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

The rest is a walk in the park; I made it almost 30 years ago and I have lots of friends who went down the same avenue. 

Thailand clearly does not want the cheapies and the cheaties; a lesson most European countries could learn.

Should you not make THB 110'000 a month then you still could pay taxes on this or THB 120'000/monthly. Taxation is based on your yearly earning and gets painful once you hit the THB 3.5million + league. 

Quite a bit has changed in the 30 years since you went down that avenue.  I'd be interested in an update from someone who's actually done it successfully in the current environment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

from what i have seen probably more than 80% western/thai relationships end in less 10 years. i know a few that have gone past 10 years but even those are because kids are involved. 

i dont know why i reply to you. i really dont. all you want to do is provoke an argument.

allowing guys to move here on some permanent basis to marry thais and start families must increase birth rates. 

a link to what? what on earth are you talking about? these are not my thoughts, this is what i have observed over the last decade. again i am going to tell you to stop looking for arguments and only post when you have something productive to add. that means not  quoting dads army as well. move on unless you have something to add.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I think what is being alluded to is the idea that countries with low birth rates and a growing elderly population often seek to encourage migration to maintain a viable workforce. Old people don't work as long, hard or if at all than the young. So migration and migrants makes up the shortfall. 

For example Canada (2001) passed  the immigration and refugee protection act. As a result of this Immigration has increased and most migrants are gainfully employed in a range of occupations and contributing to taxes and the economic growth of Canada. As a result in part of this act, Canada has managed to sustain growth in its labour markets and avoid the brain drain affecting many countries. Inherent to this is the integrating of foreign workers into Canadian society To qualify for Canadian PR you must live and work in Canada for 2 our of 5 years (+other criteria). 

Canada serves as a useful benchmark against which to compae Thailand and its success. 

• Like 1

A poor system by most measures.  Not really knowing the history, I suspect it came about sometime after the vietnam war, when Thailand was seeing a lot of Foreigners, Americans that were hitching up with Thai women.  Just a guess.  Some of the old timers can maybe chime in and discuss what the policies were many years ago.

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I think the point is not the trouble of going to Imm for the visa or the reports. It is the uncertainty. Even you, so happy at the moment, could find yourself in dire straits if something changes in your family situation or if the government decides to tweak some parameter.

Exactly my point.

18 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I think what is being alluded to is the idea that countries with low birth rates and a growing elderly population often seek to encourage migration to maintain a viable workforce. Old people don't work as long, hard or if at all than the young. So migration and migrants makes up the shortfall. 

For example Canada (2001) passed  the immigration and refugee protection act. As a result of this Immigration has increased and most migrants are gainfully employed in a range of occupations and contributing to taxes and the economic growth of Canada. As a result in part of this act, Canada has managed to sustain growth in its labour markets and avoid the brain drain affecting many countries. Inherent to this is the integrating of foreign workers into Canadian society To qualify for Canadian PR you must live and work in Canada for 2 our of 5 years (+other criteria). 

Canada serves as a useful benchmark against which to compae Thailand and its success. 

But this thread is about getting PR if married not opening up thailand to younger immigrants.

46 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i dont know why i reply to you. i really dont. all you want to do is provoke an argument.

allowing guys to move here on some permanent basis to marry thais and start families must increase birth rates. 

a link to what? what on earth are you talking about? these are not my thoughts, this is what i have observed over the last decade. again i am going to tell you to stop looking for arguments and only post when you have something productive to add. that means not  quoting dads army as well. move on unless you have something to add.

I have asked s legitimate questions. if you post things you need to back them up just saying 80% of thai/western marriages fail and then saying they only stay together for the kids without a shred of evidence is at best silly. you really do have some serious issues. If you don't like people questioning your baseless replies don't add anything which is not worthwhile which Is 80% of what you post.

Ps you have have absolutely no authority to tell anyone not to post.

Edited by Deepinthailand
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, connda said:

Exactly my point.

Connda - no disrespect but your fears seem to be stoking unnecessary anxiety. Enough people in other countries suffer when they are divorced or a change in family situations... and aren't many of the expat Brits around the world suffering the consequences of the devaluation of their money? 

I am sure that you and I both have had problems arise in our lives and when the next one does, hopefully we will be able to deal with it. At this point, I do not see any imminent threat to my life here, but if it happens, I will adjust. 

I don't think we can control everything in life, but if you were planning a move to Japan or Russia or New Zealand, would you honestly expect that they might change their laws to suit you? 

• Like 1

You have to earn your permanent residence in Singapore by contributing something to the country. In Australia and New Zealand you have to be qualified so you contribute something to the country. Some of you who have posted here think that the Thai government wants a lot of good for nothing lowlife farangs  who contribute nothing to the country. Many just marry a bar girl in order to stay here.  They also complain about the fact that immigration has to check up to make sure that they are really married and not just using marriage as an excuse to get a Visa.

15 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I have asked s legitimate questions. if you post things you need to back them up just saying 80% of thai/western marriages fail and then saying they only stay together for the kids without a shred of evidence is at best silly. you really do have some serious issues. If you don't like people questioning your baseless replies don't add anything which is not worthwhile which Is 80% of what you post.

Ps you have have absolutely no authority to tell anyone not to post.

all i did is post my observations. what i have seen. you are asking me to prove what i have seen happening here? 10 years of working and living in thailand. what sort of proof do you want to see?

7 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

My brother bought a house near an airport. Now he spends all his time complaining about the noise of the planes flying overhead. It is the way it is. You've spent 10 years in Thailand. Surely you've realized that by now?

Of course the op has realized it, we all have, he was only putting his point across, I would think the only expats living "permanently" here who do not agree with him are the ones who are not married to Thai girls, and the ones who are not married at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Of course the op has realized it, we all have, he was only putting his point across, I would think the only expats living "permanently" here who do not agree with him are the ones who are not married to Thai girls, and the ones who are not married at all.

See my response to BangkokBarry

7 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Hence my last sentence - "surely you've realized that by now?". You're wife's a Thai national. Get her to lobby her local MP (that's a joke, by the way, in case you didn't realize)

Is that all you can say in answer to the OP?

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

To me this is the post of the year, the very reason I get a bit upset about these "permanent" residents who go on about  us being "guests" in this country.

Before the "if you don't like it, go home brigade" start, Thailand is still better than the UK, apart from what the OP says, the only really big downside here is the poor mentality of the drivers and motorbike riders.

Every single word in this OP is true from start to finish. There is nothing to stop the Thai government granting permanent residency to expats who have been married for ten years, if they are good quality people as most of them are.

Whilst I agree to a point why ten years and who would say you are  "quality people". If they were to introduce PR for married people. would that mean all married men/women or just ones that work!!! if that was the case then there would be an outcry from married retired men/women. To me a better way for all married to Thai would be to introduce a married extension which would last for the whole time you are married maybe reporting yearly.  but with a proviso that you are living as man and wife but there again I have little doubt that would be abused as well. no easy answer. But what can't happen is differential between married and working or married and retired.

• Like 1