Everything You Were Afraid to Ask About Thai Rice Subsidies

Everything You Were Afraid to Ask About Thai Rice Subsidies

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

unnamed.jpg

BANGKOK — When the military government approved spending at least 20 billion baht to guarantee prices for rice farmers, two questions were raised: How did it differ from the subsidy program that lost billions under Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, and how would it succeed this time?

Answering those questions is tricky however. Expert opinions vary wildly, often depending on the political persuasion of the source. 

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/11/04/everything-afraid-ask-thai-rice-subsidies/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-11-05

46 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

How much is a 1 kg of plain rice in Tesco in Thailand ?

Reposting solely in english:

Tesco Lotus online 1kg is on sale at 20 baht for 35% moisture content

3 minutes ago, metisdead said:

A post using Thai language has been removed, this is the English language side of the forum. 

I had included the actual ad shown in Thai with english translation - I apologize

On 11/5/2016 at 3:41 PM, Srikcir said:

เทสโก้ เอฟเวอรี่ เดย์ แวลู ข้าวเสาไห้ 35% 1กก (1kg)

ราคาพิเศษ 20.00 บาท จากราคาปกติ 21.00 บาท ประหยัด 1.00 บาท

On sale 20baht

https://shoponline.tescolotus.com/groceries/th-TH/products/6072032952

Its funny that under one political regime a rice subsidy is considered a crime and yet under the present regime it is considered a helping hand. Myself I think they are just putting their finger in the dyke. Great press for the masses.  

On Monday, November 07, 2016 at 11:27 AM, elgordo38 said:

Its funny that under one political regime a rice subsidy is considered a crime and yet under the present regime it is considered a helping hand. Myself I think they are just putting their finger in the dyke. Great press for the masses.  

Was it just the subsidy or the apparent massive corruption throughout the scheme that was ignored ...

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Was it just the subsidy or the apparent massive corruption throughout the scheme that was ignored ...

The proof is in the pudding. Massive corruption proven where. More so  or less so than the present article 44 you can never prosecute us junta. Mr. T gave the people the 30 baht card Mr. P gave them submarines, tanks planes and more military. Which would you prefer. 

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

The proof is in the pudding. Massive corruption proven where. More so  or less so than the present article 44 you can never prosecute us junta. Mr. T gave the people the 30 baht card Mr. P gave them submarines, tanks planes and more military. Which would you prefer. 

Look up the meaning of apparent touchy ...