Yingluck Sells Rice at Bangkok Mall as Prices Falling

rooster59

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

no way the army will let her run in the next elections which i suspect are still a few years away.

I think there will be an election either end 2017 or early 2018. It is a legal matter after the constitution receive royal endorsement. I really think that the election is not in the hands of the junta but it is the establishment who is exerting the pressure to have an elected for various reasons which can't be discussed.

Yingluck has toughened up a lot and learning very quickly. All the junta's efforts to threaten and silence her has backfired and she has not lost any support and gaining lots of sympathies. Now the copy-cat rice subsidies has kind of vindicate her. She actually becoming more defiant. In Udon, she told her supporters that if she is elected, she will fix their rice problems. Even if the junta pull out of their bags of dirty tricks to stop her from contesting which is a mistake to me, she can still speak out for his party candidate. She now take this fight against this present government very personally.

44 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

no way the army will let her run in the next elections which i suspect are still a few years away.

And as already stated many times, she's banned for 5 years, but of course none so blind as those who don't want to see including a post by el which deliberately avoids balanced comment (his hallmark) and avoids the truth, all of course to create division. 

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Taking into account transport costs...yes.

Which means that she's deliberately avoiding the realities of business costs and she should know better.

Shame on her, she has no hesitation to create a picture which makes her 'look good' but is actually deceiving -  many of the good farmers have little knowledge about the realities of business (not their fault - governments for decades have ignored the need to educate farmers about the basics of business, and more).  

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And as already stated many times, she's banned for 5 years, but of course none so blind as those who don't want to see including a post by el which deliberately avoids balanced comment (his hallmark) and avoids the truth, all of course to create division. 

The impeachment and proceeding 5 years ban by the NLA can be legally challenge. One key point is that is a rectro-active impeachment as she was no longer the prime minister. I expect the legal team of PT to launch a robust legal challenge when the election date has been confirmed. 

16 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I think there will be an election either end 2017 or early 2018. It is a legal matter after the constitution receive royal endorsement. I really think that the election is not in the hands of the junta but it is the establishment who is exerting the pressure to have an elected for various reasons which can't be discussed.

Yingluck has toughened up a lot and learning very quickly. All the junta's efforts to threaten and silence her has backfired and she has not lost any support and gaining lots of sympathies. Now the copy-cat rice subsidies has kind of vindicate her. She actually becoming more defiant. In Udon, she told her supporters that if she is elected, she will fix their rice problems. Even if the junta pull out of their bags of dirty tricks to stop her from contesting which is a mistake to me, she can still speak out for his party candidate. She now take this fight against this present government very personally.

there are something like 14 cases pending against her. the billion dollar fine is just one of the punishments she will have to some how take care of. i cant see her paying it so the army/government will push for putting her in jail. there is no way she will ever be allowed in the next elections. in fact i think she is only part of the way through her 5 year suspension from politics. the best case for her is to flee the country like her brother did. i am kind of surprised she is still here.

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The impeachment and proceeding 5 years ban by the NLA can be legally challenge. One key point is that is a rectro-active impeachment as she was no longer the prime minister. I expect the legal team of PT to launch a robust legal challenge when the election date has been confirmed. 

i think you are underestimating the amount of power the army/government currently has. the billion baht fine was given without there even being a court judgement. the army can over rule any court ruling and just do what ever they want. the army is probably even more surprised than i am that ying luck is still in thailand. they have even let her leave the country on at least one occasion.

10 hours ago, mercman24 said:

go to admit she has got style, i bet she will still be around when these clowns have long gone, no matter what we think, we are only bystanders here, the people love her, that is why the powers that be are running scared. i bet they wished she would do a "runner"

Yes they all hope to get another 500 baht if they vote for her...who cares for democrazy or what the rest of the world thinks.

7 hours ago, MaxLee said:

The former puppeteer PM in a desperate attempt to clean up big brother's intentional mess...... that's indeed an irony.

You might want to re"think" that as Ms Wiboonlasana (Permanent Secretary for Commerce) says otherwise:

"falling global rice prices are to blame for the problem", and "many rice-growing countries are undercutting Thailand."

I'm a bit stupid, so could you explain what the irony is again?

17 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Wish Thaksin came back I miss him !!

There were several planespotters who thought that may have had already happened, after a large private jet flew from Munich to DMK via Ankara, Dubai, and Mumbai on 17 October... 

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Honestly, given her history with rice, she has to ask herself, does she really want to get involved with it again.

Mind, it's probably not her idea.

Strings are pulled and puppets dance.

Regardless, of who advised her to do this, it's either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

If there is an election next year or 2018 (which I think is by no means certain) and Pheu Thai win it, the next government will almost certainly be imposed against the wishes of the electorate - in line with the new "peoples constitution".  That government will either fall in chaos, in which case the ban ia academic, or if it lasts a term she will be able to stand in the election that follows. Long game.

6 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

I think Prayuth should have a stand right next to her and whoever sells the most rice wins, using their talents to draw a crowd would be easy - she could cry and he could sing.

She must be really good in crying when her brother wants her to. 

But please don't let the guy sing, his speeches are already more than just noise pollution for me. 

On 11/5/2016 at 10:12 PM, surangw said:

she ( and her brother) must have some long range plan, otherwise she would have fled thailand long ago.

Thaksin will be back before long. Count on it.

6 hours ago, Jools said:

Thaksin will be back before long. Count on it.

I recall people saying that in 2007/8, and indeed he did return for a couple-of-months, before leaving (with the court's full-permission) to see the Olympic opening-ceremony in Beijing.

Such a pity that the PTP-led coalition-government didn't seize that opportunity, and start all the other cases against him in-court while he was able to be present, there would now be much more clarity about whether or not those charges were justified.

And I really don't think he will return, so long as the cases are ready to proceed, why should he risk it again after having had the first case go against him ?

Or does his sister need his help, in selling-off the rice-stocks which she bought last week, from his supporters? I doubt it, B20/kg is a good price for Hom Mali at a retail level.

Edited by Ricardo

On 11/5/2016 at 11:35 PM, geriatrickid said:

And some people would rather purchase escalators and elevators manufactured in China. What's your point?  BTW neither Myanmar nor Vietnam exports rice to the Thai market.  Myanmar exports mostly to China as it is a defacto economic colony and Vietnam exports to regions with relatively non existant food quality import standards, such as the Philippines, Iraq, Africa etc. 

So you go right ahead and chow down on that rice.

No. I see someone who is trying to highlight the  travails of the rice farmers, a segment of the population that has been ignored by a military administration. It seems that the military rulers of Thailand would rather purchase submarines and invest in their resorts and golf courses. 

Why should she flee? Thailand is her home, and a majority of its population still support her. In any case, she is under defacto house arrest. She is surveilled 24/7 by the military rulers. Her phone calls, visitors,  activities.are monitored, She has lost right the rright  to privacy and the freedom of association that too many people in TVF take for granted. 

Quote "She is surveilled 24/7 by the military rulers. Her phone calls, visitors,  activities.are monitored, She has lost right the rright  to privacy and the freedom of association that too many people in TVF take for granted." 

Aw Shucks.  My heart bleeds for her.  But much more so for the victims of her rice buying scheme-(scam.)

"and a majority of its population still support her."    

Really??????   Only in parts of the North mate.  Not the majority of Thais.  However, more than a few TVF posters fancy her a lot, but for most of them it has nothing to do with politics.

23 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

She is not banned from selling rice. She might end up a rice tycoon who needs sweaty politics with all the bears lying in the bushes waiting for you to make a misstep. 

Do you not understand the difference between politics and selling rice.

Possibly as a technical point she may need a license to become a rice trader.

If I were the PM I would congratulate her on doing an excellent job in selling rice, and then ask her to sell ALL the surplus rice in whatever condition that was left over from her disastrous rice scheme without dumping it onto the world market.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Do you not understand the difference between politics and selling rice.

Possibly as a technical point she may need a license to become a rice trader.

If I were the PM I would congratulate her on doing an excellent job in selling rice, and then ask her to sell ALL the surplus rice in whatever condition that was left over from her disastrous rice scheme without dumping it onto the world market.

There you go seeking personal glory piggy backing on my statement. 

2 hours ago, lucky11 said:

She is too stupid and Thaksin will NOT be back ever!!

Some kind of silliness when her price storage scheme has been copied by the current government. Big change of political scenario and Thaksin will be soon appearing in a mall near you. Keep your socks handy. 

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yeah, that impeachment (for an office holder that had already vacated her position !) was a text book example of how not to handle such cases. Thailand's illegitimate rubber stamp parliament called the NLA did impeach her. Not a single member of that parliament actually received a vote from the Thai electorate.

Don't worry, since that was in january 2015, if the junta drag their feet just long enough, she won't be banned anymore :D

Edited by sjaak327

2 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Yeah, that impeachment (for an office holder that had already vacated her position !) was a text book example of how not handle such cases. Thailand's illegitimate rubber stamp parliament called the NLA did impeach her. Not a single member of that parliament actually received a vote from the Thai electorate.

Don't worry, since that was in january 2015, if the junta drag their feet just long enough, she won't be banned anymore :D

You can be impeached after leaving office and there was no one more deserving of this than Yingluck!!