Accused of stealing money from safe

Mickster58

thanks for all the replys people, this may not sound good.

We have since been to the police station and the aussie man is trying to charge both of us with theft and he has repeatedly said to the police i work here i work here but my wife said no he does not. The police dismissed his claims immediately so it looks like the illegal working thing does not seem to be going anywhere. But just on that no one pays me anything at all, sometimes i just help her cleaning is that still considered working illegally?. anyway, the safes in this guesthouse are key only, and my wife holds the keys so that isnt a good sign. im 100% sure she did not take his money. the police came and looked at the cameras but couldnt find anything, they also blamed a 3 hour blackout on electricity problems. We are now waiting for someone from the embassy to come to the police station. i will post further when i know what is going on

thanks

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes doing anything is work under Thai definition so being more than a customer could cause issues if the wind blows in the wrong direction.   Normally not a problem if someone is not out to get you but a very gray area and can have serious problems when someone takes issue (in business often a competitor).   Best not to ever be behind a counter.

Edited by lopburi3

She should be OK but suspect your apparent working might have been a factor if he brought that up.  Did he also mention it before going to police?  If so may have expected a payout - if did not mention until after police contact may actually have had some money taken by someone.  

37 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

the safes in this guesthouse are key only, and my wife holds the keys so that isnt a good sign.

Hope it all works out well for you.  Any thoughts about the GF?  

Your wife (and the popo) may have a better read on her than you would if the GF is a local.  

Some day, an enterprising soul is going to add a $20 internal camera to hotel in-room safes that will discretely record everything that happens to that safe to a hard drive on the hotel network...

Whoever does, please send me 1/2 of 1% royalty for the idea...  I'm not greedy.  Hungry, yes.  But not greedy.

Yes, so hotel staff can see what's in every customer's safe, and make it more tempting to get and use the master code!

Just as likely to be a scam. Start screaming and shouting at 7.00 am, start threatening to go to the police, make yourselves out to be crazy farangs and the owners of some hotels would be quick to compensate the guests to prevent unwanted attention from the police. Paying out 20,000 baht to the guests is small money compared to all the other fines the police can get you for if they want to.

6 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Yes, so hotel staff can see what's in every customer's safe, and make it more tempting to get and use the master code!

That's a concern that would have to be addressed.  But let's face it.  Crooked staff sees a high roller checking in with bags, then taking a stroll in shorts and a T-shirt, they know it's in the room somewhere.  

If they knew it was in the safe and the safe would record their shenanigans, wouldn't that be a deterrent to even rummaging through the luggage?

1 hour ago, Mickster58 said:

We have since been to the police station and the aussie man is trying to charge both of us with theft and he has repeatedly said to the police i work here i work here but my wife said no he does not. The police dismissed his claims immediately so it looks like the illegal working thing does not seem to be going anywhere. But just on that no one pays me anything at all, sometimes i just help her cleaning is that still considered working illegally?. anyway, the safes in this guesthouse are key only, and my wife holds the keys so that isnt a good sign. im 100% sure she did not take his money. the police came and looked at the cameras but couldnt find anything, they also blamed a 3 hour blackout on electricity problems. We are now waiting for someone from the embassy to come to the police station. i will post further when i know what is going on

thanks

Thank you for the update report.

I was Hotel Manager for 2 years in Phuket and have seen a lot; but not all!.

How did the embassy get into the picture?.

Did the police come to the Hotel before you were called to the police station?

Edited by lj cm
Added second question

I would keep a low profile until this thing is over, just in case the "he/you works here" comes up now that we know who the thief is.

Sorry to hear about the kid doing it, that's got to hurt his Ma something awful.

I will guess the police will piss test the kid, that seems to be the norm. Lets hope it comes up negative.

Good luck

Edited by Shot

13 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

Its very upsetting to you all my wifes 16 yr old son took the money. The police saw him on the camera moving it down then 30 minutes later put it back up. Again it very upsetting news

Earlier you said there was nothing to be seen on the camera?

id  destroy  those  videos of what might show  you working at the hotel you dont work at and then quit  doing anything there at all.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome as often it  tends to not  be heard of again.

Edited by kannot

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:
Earlier you said there was nothing to be seen on the camera?

Yes but the police came back about 2 hours later and looked again. I posted 20,000 baht bail for him and the aussie guy does not want to press charges. The police are asking my wife for money (bribe). So corrupt its discusting. Even when the case is closed they still want money... Money for wat? Half of them just stoof there doing <deleted> all and then they get thanked. Police here is a joke

The police are asking my wife for money (bribe)

We've caught your son stealing, how 'bout giving us a tip?   TIT

They might be better off hitting the Aussie up for money instead

Edited by Rob13

Yes but the police came back about 2 hours later and looked again. I posted 20,000 baht bail for him and the aussie guy does not want to press charges. The police are asking my wife for money (bribe). So corrupt its discusting. Even when the case is closed they still want money... Money for wat? Half of them just stoof there doing <deleted> all and then they get thanked. Police here is a joke

It will be no joke if on the wrong side of them - especially when there are issues such as here.  You did offer the reward.

Your 16yo wifes son doing the stealing from customer(s).

Might not be his first time doing this.

Why did he need the money? Gambling debts? Yaba, drugs?

A good 16yo does not just start stealing for nothing. Find out what is behind this before he goes totally of the rails.

39 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

We've caught your son stealing, how 'bout giving us a tip?   TIT

They might be better off hitting the Aussie up for money instead

Depends if he got his $700 back or not. The kid might have blown it all.

I lost 50 dollars from my bag once. 

I accused some of my bestest friends. 

After several more incidents of money going missing, it dawned on me, the only person it could be was my partner. 

I would certainly be looking at his "girlfriend " which may actually be a recent aquantance. 

I don't see anywhere that he said he was working? ? Helping her here and there, could mean, giving her a little money to help. Brushing her hair, and cleaning her nails. Buying her some clothes. Stop freaking the poor guy out. 

23 hours ago, impulse said:

Unless it's a real advanced one that records all activity, how would you prove that?  Assuming the guest (or one of them anyway) is making a false claim, couldn't he/she have just reset the code back to what it was.

I'm actually curious, not trying to be argumentative.

i have had a bit of experience with room safes. the owner can always access them. i had a guesthouse for a few years. you need to set up the entry room doors with a catch so your customers can lock them with their own padlocks. you need to tell the customers to use their locks to ensure they know no one else went in the room. it wont sort out this situation but it will stop it from happening again. make sure you never mention to anyone you are working without a work permit, trust me on that one.

23 hours ago, impulse said:

Tough to separate the facts of the case from the emotions when someone's hotel room (personal space and safety) has been violated.  That's a highly charged emotional event.  

Coming right out and suggesting the GF is fraught with risk based on emotions.  You've given the OP some questions to ask the Aussie that could walk him down the path to his own conclusions, one direction or another.  Maybe it was her, maybe the answers will lead to another possibility.

The 1st person the cops will grill is the gf.They rarely hold up if guilty.