Accused of stealing money from safe

Mickster58

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

Yes but the police came back about 2 hours later and looked again. I posted 20,000 baht bail for him and the aussie guy does not want to press charges. The police are asking my wife for money (bribe). So corrupt its discusting. Even when the case is closed they still want money... Money for wat? Half of them just stoof there doing <deleted> all and then they get thanked. Police here is a joke

Ok,your wife's son goes to jail,is that a better outcome.

On 11/6/2016 at 9:37 AM, Rob13 said:

A spycam in a hotel room, bad idea

Why?   Doesn't have to be in the bedroom.  Often times the safe is in the cupboard out in the lounge area.

Great idea to have it inside the safe so it records when the safe is opened, although the angle may mean you only get video of the thief's hands and not their face.

But why not take your own motion detecting spy camera and position it to record anyone entering the room (preferably also with a view of the cupboard containing the safe).

On 06/11/2016 at 9:42 AM, Peterw42 said:

if the customers code still opens the safe, thats proof that the hotel has not overridden and wiped the code. if what the customer is sayin is true then the customer would go to open the safe and his code would no longer work. 

Maybe yes maybe no.

The safe may well have an access master key or even access master code (that does not reset the user code), that factor could be important.

Has the Ozzie guy had any guests in the room?

He may be lying or misplaced the money elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Great idea to have it inside the safe so it records when the safe is opened, although the angle may mean you only get video of the thief's hands and not their face.

I was thinking the same thing but like someone mentioned above, it also records what's been placed in the safe for the staff to see.Makes it easier for them to select which safe to 'crack'.

3 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

I was thinking the same thing but like someone mentioned above, it also records what's been placed in the safe for the staff to see.Makes it easier for them to select which safe to 'crack'.

Not if the camera belongs to the guest and he/she places it in the safe.  

The original suggestion was that it upload to the hotel network, this would be tricky from inside a safe and is unnecessary, the video would just be stored to an SD card.   

The staff would have no way to access the camera or the memory card, unless they opened the safe and stole it but the 'camera unit' could be made to be well hidden inside and only noticable to someone really looking closely at the inside of the safe.

I still think something like this placed in the room with a view of the door and the safe is a better idea - http://www.lazada.co.th/alarm-clock-dvr-video-camera-spy-cam-hidden-security-motiondetection-recorder-1280x720-2715548.html

You mean the guest takes his own spycam with him when he checks-in to the room? Seems like it'd work OK.I wonder if that'd be admissable in court as evidence.

I like my way better, just don't leave cash or anything you can't risk losing in the room.

4 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

Yes but the police came back about 2 hours later and looked again. I posted 20,000 baht bail for him and the aussie guy does not want to press charges. The police are asking my wife for money (bribe). So corrupt its discusting. Even when the case is closed they still want money... Money for wat? Half of them just stoof there doing <deleted> all and then they get thanked. Police here is a joke

It isn't a good thing but be glad the boy isn't being prosecuted and you aren't jailed, deported and blacklisted for working illegally. You were lucky until now, better don't do it again.

4 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

A joke?  They caught the bad guy, didn't they?  Are you upset because the thief is in your family?  I'd be more concerned about your future with this family of yours.

2 hours ago, Rob13 said:

You mean the guest takes his own spycam with him when he checks-in to the room? Seems like it'd work OK.I wonder if that'd be admissable in court as evidence.

I like my way better, just don't leave cash or anything you can't risk losing in the room.

Yes the safest way is not to leave cash and/or valuables in the room.   

Taking a spycam of your own might seem a bit extreme, but for some people (staying in cheaper places) perhaps it's a viable and sensible option.  The evidence does not need to be admissible in court, just accepted by the hotel management as their staff being seen stealing on video.   

If the theft is by someone who is not staff then how are you going to catch them anyway.   Will the hotel accept responsibility for an outside person accessing your room?  I guess that depends on the quality of the hotel.

Personally I've only ever stayed in 5 star hotels where I completely trust the staff and the establishment.   I would never stay in a guest house, or other low quality place.

And stuff like this is what happens when you marry Thai women with teenage sons! I fail to understand the logic behind taking care of someone else's children..especially in a country thousands of miles away where one doesn't speak the language and where one will never understand its culture. And westerners think that they are the educated ones! 

On 11/5/2016 at 7:43 PM, Peterw42 said:

check the rubbish in the guys room for a currency exchange reciept for $700. 

Sadly that might not get them anywhere. Every time I have changed money at a bank in Thailand, after signing the receipt and counting the money I always throw the receipt away in the bin at the bank, as it is no longer any use to me.

23 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

Its very upsetting to you all my wifes 16 yr old son took the money. The police saw him on the camera moving it down then 30 minutes later put it back up. Again it very upsetting news

So your earlier statement that the wife has the key was a bit incomplete.  Why are these sort of posts always by a "newbie" and all seem to have the same broken english?

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It isn't a good thing but be glad the boy isn't being prosecuted and you aren't jailed, deported and blacklisted for working illegally. You were lucky until now, better don't do it again.

I think the OP can forget the, working illegally, part of it, if the only proof is, as a previous poster said, he was "helping her out".

Farangs over here all help their wives/ GFs out financially at times. Nothing to do with working illegally.

41 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Why are these sort of posts always by a "newbie" and all seem to have the same broken english?

Because as much as you might like to think everyone on here is English, there are a very large number of non native English speakers.

I don't know what nationality the OP is but if he's not English then I bet his English is still a boat load better than your Norwegian, Swedish or whatever language he speaks originally.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I think the OP can forget the, working illegally, part of it, if the only proof is, as a previous poster said, he was "helping her out".

Farangs over here all help their wives/ GFs out financially at times. Nothing to do with working illegally.

If you read the whole post you would know it wasn't the financial part he did but actual work.

There's a fine example of how the dsi video was broken for a few hours, while the poor man hung himself with a pair of socks on a hinge that could not hold a paper clip. Just reach up, take it down for a wee while, then put it back. Maybe the police missed that bit in the sock case. 

On 11/6/2016 at 9:21 AM, Rob13 said:

Not obvious to the Aussie no doubt. Anybody with access to the room would be the obviuos culprit. And you working illegally doesn't put you in a good light. Believe I'd lay low and let the wife handle things.

Stop with the ilegal work crap. He was merely visiting his GF

Though you are not happy with the police, I would be giving them a huge tip for sorting it out and not causing you problems... if they had a bee in their bonnet, you could potentially be in deep strife.

I would also make a big deal of apologising to the Aussie chap for the inconvenience and not pressing charges etc. He could also potentially cause strife and get the word out across social media how dodgy your place is. 

haha some of you people are funny. The kid has gone back home his mum sent him yesterday. We have since learnt that some moron was giving him yaba. Its funny how so many people judge westerners over having a thai wife. We have been married for 4 years and this is the first time anything bad has happend....

Yeh i guess i do have broken english it seems to happen when i am over here.

The bloke got his money back and everything is now over. The son has been sent back home to Ubon yesterday.. I still think about it thought because it really was a bad day. 

The whole working thing was never mentioned again, but i will be careful from now on.