Singha Small Beer Bottles now 320ml

Banana7

I went to buy a new case of small Singha beer at Big C in Pattaya, and the case now specifies 24x320ml. Last month the bottles were 330ml. like most other beers in Thailand. Is it a misprint or are the contents getting smaller?

Edited by Banana7

Beer breweries did this in the UK a few years ago. The bottles went from 330 ml to 300ml and then to 275ml but the price never changed.

It's just a stealthy way of increasing the price so that (hopefully) most of the customers  won't notice.

On 11/9/2016 at 1:45 AM, Cebu Blue said:

Didn't they recently go back to the 660ml big bottles from the 500ml ones?

sneaky. when they dropped to 500ml bottles they hardly reduced the price. they must have lost a lot of sales other than just me because the went back to the larger size. would not surprise me if they have tried the same trick with the small bottles. maybe less people will notice the smaller reduction in volume.

A lot of this is an unwillingness amongst the brewers (there are only 3!) to pass on the tax increases.

Tax on beer (particularly the highly subjective 'premium' beer category) has increased far ahead of inflation over the last 20 years in Thailand.

Long-run production/packaging re-engineering costs are not insignificant. Would love to see the financial justification for this one!!!!

Capital expenditures will hit a Profit and Loss Statement sometime, depending on the accounting protocol.

Yeah boss! we fooled them! 

I don't think I'd know I got 10ml less beer unless I saw it on the label, so Much Ado About Nothing, methinks. But yes, I agree that the sneaky price increase is wrong. At the same time, there has been much discussion in the UK media this week after Toblerone reduced the weight. Might be a discussion piece for people with too much time on their hands: Less weight or pay more?

On 11/9/2016 at 0:44 AM, chickenslegs said:

Contents are getting reduced. Just another way of disguising a price increase.

Heineken in the new shape can is now 320ml - down from 330ml.

Time to stop drinking lads. I stopped eating yogurt because although the cartons stayed the same size, the amount dropped, it was very easily noticed.

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't think I'd know I got 10ml less beer unless I saw it on the label, so Much Ado About Nothing, methinks. But yes, I agree that the sneaky price increase is wrong. At the same time, there has been much discussion in the UK media this week after Toblerone reduced the weight. Might be a discussion piece for people with too much time on their hands: Less weight or pay more?

I remember as a wee boy back in Scotland, I used to love mars bars, they increased the price, but also made it bigger, great, I thought, I will get an increase in pocket money, then what happened a few weeks later, they dropped the size back to the original, but the price stayed the same. Capitalist bast@rds.

Chang and Heineken had been reduced to 320 ml for ages. 

I only buy San Miguel as it is much better value now. I remember some years ago Chang used to be 25 Baht a bottle and San Mig was always 40. Now Chang sits at 39 Baht and San Mig is still only 43 Baht in 7-11. As a plus, it still comes in 330 ml.

Beer breweries did this in the UK a few years ago. The bottles went from 330 ml to 300ml and then to 275ml but the price never changed.
It's just a stealthy way of increasing the price so that (hopefully) most of the customers  won't notice.

They will be in trouble when it gets down to 10ml. [emoji15]

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Time to stop drinking lads. I stopped eating yogurt because although the cartons stayed the same size, the amount dropped, it was very easily noticed.

Yogurt is so easy to make it makes no sense to stop eating it.

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That's a good idea, I'll google it and try and make it.

You pretty much take milk up to hundred eighty five Fahrenheit for five minutes let cool down and then add spoonful of live culture(buy a yogurt with live culture) and let stand in warm (one hundred ten farenheit) for 8 to 10 hours and done. Off to the fridge.

sorry numbers on keypad not all working.

Back when the minimum wage went up to 300 THB (might have been 2013) the price of a 24 pack small Chang want up around 33% in the 3 month I was away!

Chang has now lower alcohol content and smaller bottles.

Tiger use to be a bit expensive but now better value for money at least were I buy them.

Argh. Please shoot me if I become the old man who posts on a website complaining about a 10ML reduction in the size of a small beer. I was just wondering why most expats in Thaialnd take their drinking so seriously? Give me a brake!

Edited by anthony0339

2 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

You pretty much take milk up to hundred eighty five Fahrenheit for five minutes let cool down and then add spoonful of live culture(buy a yogurt with live culture) and let stand in warm (one hundred ten farenheit) for 8 to 10 hours and done. Off to the fridge.

sorry numbers on keypad not all working.

You do realize how incredibly annoying your Fahrenheit talk is to non-US people?

Capture.PNG

Edited by wump

50 minutes ago, anthony0339 said:

Argh. Please shoot me if I become the old man who posts on a website complaining about a 10ML reduction in the size of a small beer. I was just wondering why most expats in Thaialnd take their drinking so seriously? Give me a brake!

It's the principal of the whole thing. Just raise the price , don't decrease the contents and try to trick people . 

52 minutes ago, anthony0339 said:

There you go

Capture.PNG

It's called, "idiot pricing" in some marketing circles; defined as any way to confuse the price for quantity ratio of a product. The tactic is especially useful with the math-challenged among us. You see it often in the warehouse stores where you buy in bulk, but if you bought per unit, it would actually be cheaper. There was a good example of it a few years ago in a TV ad for McDonald's McNuggets--a professional sports figure excitedly announces, "Six McNuggets for $0.99, nine for $1.59, now who can eat just six?"

On 11/10/2016 at 5:08 PM, possum1931 said:

I remember as a wee boy back in Scotland, I used to love mars bars, they increased the price, but also made it bigger, great, I thought, I will get an increase in pocket money, then what happened a few weeks later, they dropped the size back to the original, but the price stayed the same. Capitalist bast@rds.

And Mars (UK) were the nice people that invented canned pet food. Before that pets used to get leftovers and cuts butchers and fishmongers weren't allowed to sell for human consumption.

:omfg: