Thailand can expect less interest from President Trump,  academics say

snoop1130

Thailand can expect less interest from President Trump,  academics say

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

2016-Election-Trump_Cham-1.jpg

President-elect Donald Trump speaks during an election night rally on Wednesday in New York. Photo: Evan Vucci / Associated Press

BANGKOK — The United States under President-elect Donald Trump will likely pay less attention to human rights and the restoration of democracy in Thailand, relieving pressure on its military regime, two political scientists said Wednesday.

Reached for comment Wednesday after the Republican presidential candidate’s upset win, two prominent political scientists mused over what his presidency will mean for Thailand, its people and its military regime.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/11/09/thailand-can-expect-less-interest-president-trump-academics-say/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-11-09

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

... will likely pay less attention to human rights and the restoration of democracy in Thailand, relieving pressure on its military regime ...

Terrific! All downright hunky-dory then.

Thank god there's still China to have an eye on human rights & the like, or maybe not?!

La-la-land is at it again ... 

4 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

As it should be....countries need to stop relying on america to solve their problems. 

Its america first from now on. 

Maybe clinton foundation can help ive heard theyre free. 

No need. Free and fair elections in accordance with the constitution have been repeatedly reassured by Thailand's military junta to be held by this time next year, in accordance with their roadmap. They are just keeping the seats warm until then, so no need for Mr. Trump to have anything to do with them...

6 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

As it should be....countries need to stop relying on america to solve their problems. 

America needs to stop thinking the world relies on them.  The world was fine before England founded America and it will be fine after America is gone.

Unfortunately, Trump will likely pay more attention to whether or not the money the US throws towards Thailand and the trade deals offered to Thailand make economic sense for the US and will likely adjust accordingly.  

PS.  I don't think he will even pretend to care about understanding Thai culture.  

Trump wont red flag, yellow flag problems. He will just black flag them.

And wouldnt that be nice to see rather than the years of politically correct warnings where little improvement has occurred except allowing time for authorities to be hide the abuses occuring.

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

America needs to stop thinking the world relies on them.  The world was fine before England founded America and it will be fine after America is gone.

It was a colony, they founded themselves, you might just as well say that Britain founded India. Canada, Australia, New Zealand are all British offshoots that decided to govern themselves.

Being a business man and real estate mogul, Trump might focus on restrictions in Thailand (as well as other countries) on American owned business and land ownership - if American businesses complain to him about lack of entry into Thailand versus open access in the American market. 

Trump has suggested use of higher tariffs  against a country's imports to America (ie., China & Mexico) as an equalizer for opening more exports and domestic consumptin to increase American manufacturing and domestic employment. Slap a 40% tariff increase on imported Thai seafoods and see how Prayut responds.

What Thailand should pay attention to is that:

1. Media elites

2. Hollywood elites

3. Silicon Valley elites

4. Wall Street elites

5. Ultra Liberals

6. Government employees

7. Constitution advocates

8. Illegal Aliens

9. Veterans

All saw things change overnight.  People should change government.  Not the other way around.  The elites in Thailand are way behind the times and unable to cope with such change.  Unless Thailand joins the modern world, it will become a backwater.

Edited by yellowboat

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

America wasn't founded by England. England had colonies on the continent (as did the French and Spanish) and 13 of them broke away from England inspired by the philosophies of the French.

6 minutes ago, captspectre said:

I don't think that Trump will give a tinkers dam about Thailand. it has no oil, it has nothing that can be exported with any regularity. it does not have a strong armed force. just look at the south.  

Trump might not but the Pentagon will. Thailand has strategic significance for the West especially now as Trump seems to want to give China a free hand in Asia ??? the new power house of the world !!

What utter codswallop from these two academics. 

They have no evidence that this will happen, just more useless opinion from people who like the sound of their own voice, based on a few snippets of prime time Fox news. The US has so many vested interests around the globe, that the idea that it suddenly turns into this introspective, protectionist country is unlikely.

What Trump said the US will do, and what the US actually does are two very different things. 

A politician that actually keeps or fulfills all his election promises is a rare breed indeed. 

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"Trump will likely pay less attention to human rights and the restoration of democracy in Thailand, relieving pressure on its military regime, two political scientists said Wednesday."

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.

Has a political scientist ever done or said anything useful for any society? Who pays these guys?

I think the US should only be involved in other countries to protect itself and/or its expats and travelers abroad. The US record of human rights is not as good as most western countries and not any better than many third world countries. $8 minimum wage. Get real. Voluntary slavery I think. Who are we to judge others.

My wife just told me that on Thai TV they are saying there is a lot of trouble in the US over the election, and that Thailand is very upset over the results too. I hope she is misinterpreting that.

16 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I would not be surprised to see the Clinton Foundation downsize and Bill and Hillary take a low profile to stay under the Trump radar. He may have small squinty eyes among other small things but once you do this guy the dirty he is like an elephant/GOP who does not forget. To get access to him you would have to buy a suite in one of his condo's or a greenside villa on one of his golf courses. If you think Obama spent to much time playing golf you have not seen anything yet. Pence flack jacket and all will be running the show much like Cheney and the backroom boys did for Bush. I can still see the puzzled look on his face when 9/11 took place. Was it a long of confusion or something else more sinister you judge. 

Edited by elgordo38

12 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I think the US should only be involved in other countries to protect itself and/or its expats and travelers abroad. The US record of human rights is not as good as most western countries and not any better than many third world countries. $8 minimum wage. Get real. Voluntary slavery I think. Who are we to judge others.

My wife just told me that on Thai TV they are saying there is a lot of trouble in the US over the election, and that Thailand is very upset over the results too. I hope she is misinterpreting that.

I try and picture Trump in a toga holding a fiddle. Yes Thailand is upset as the Donald may become the new shephers of America and like old tend to the local flock rather than go looking for and protecting strays. The new Quad World is emerging The West, Europe, Russia and Asia.  They are all trying to daisy chain the other to advance their own agenda. 

Edited by elgordo38

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

America is a continent and not going anywhere, England did not find America and neither did the Vikings. The world has never been just fine and never will be.  That said you are right the US needs to butt out of other countries business for sure.

I can see the US helping its allies only to the extent it gets out of control, WW1, WW2.  What did or will any of the other countries they attack or defend ever do for or to them? I am American and I have trouble finding a good reason for any of the conflicts we have been in since the Korean War. A lot to do with Arms sales maybe.