Is a 125 motorbike sufficient for a trip?

Hal65

On any sized bike you are not allowed on the Expressways so your only option is Sukumvit, (Route 3) which is a long hard drive, and I can't imagine doing it on a 125

I used to live in the CBD in Bangkok and the worst part of the trip was the 155 + Sois to get to Bang Na,  just to get under the Expressway 

Ended up spending most of my weekend trips in Cha Am and Hua Hin just because of the Sukumvit nightmare

Done the trip several times on a 125. As already mentioned you will not be able to use the expressway route 7. Bike can take it easily as long as you are happy enough to cruise at a reasonable speed. I once rode a 125 from Bangkok to Udon then on to Ubon.

If you check out YouTube there is a guy who goes all around the world on a Honda 70 !!

Edited by Denim

I drove to pattaya a few times, by car its easy.. on my big bike I wont even think about it. The reason is that there is a lot of road your not allowed to take and if you are like me reliant on gps it will steer you to the wrong place. If your great with maps and have a good sense of direction, then the problem is a lot less. Though on a small bike i feel i lot more secure when i drive on roads with fast traffic. I got a 135cc scooter for shopping and a 650 for other more fun rides. 

I do hate it that they don't allow the big bikes on the tollways it would make getting around far easier. 

Have ridden our little Honda wave 100 on several long trips, (such as NongKhai/ChiangMai in one day) and then moved up to a Honda phantom 200cc, which is perfect for mountain roads but not really big enough for the multi-lane highways. If I had the money I would once again move up to something around 400cc or more.

So much depends on the speeds you like to travel at and the roads you plan to take!

As already stated motorbikes are not allowed on the expressways.

The distance is no issue at all, but just would not be a pleasant ride.

I have ridden my PCX up to Phongsaly, North Laos and back just taking it easy and finding smaller back roads where possible. Currently 7,000 km into a Vietnam tour on a 150cc bike. Small bike are as much fun as big bikes.

Yes it is. Just choose a bike with bigger wheel for smoother ride. Even if you have a 500cc bike you can't (shouldn't )drive faster than 80km/h. I drove myself from pattaya to phuket and back on a pcx.  enjoy your ride

Patty's to Bangkok is hardly a road trip.

You should be able to do it in 2-3 hours.

No problem on a 125. But better to choose one with chunkier tyres.

Route 3 is fine.

I prefer going via Chachoengsao. Nice for a halfway break.

3 hours ago, alant said:

The bike will probably cope, most of these are quick and reliable but as  said before no expressways so you need to plan your route with care.

Follow Sukhumvit Road from Bangkok all the way down through Chonburi, but be aware of the work on the new BTS, there is a cut off to avoid that, google it. it is not any more dangerous than many other Thai roads, ride carefully, use common sense and you will be OK.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I drove to pattaya a few times, by car its easy.. on my big bike I wont even think about it. The reason is that there is a lot of road your not allowed to take and if you are like me reliant on gps it will steer you to the wrong place. If your great with maps and have a good sense of direction, then the problem is a lot less. Though on a small bike i feel i lot more secure when i drive on roads with fast traffic. I got a 135cc scooter for shopping and a 650 for other more fun rides. 

I do hate it that they don't allow the big bikes on the tollways it would make getting around far easier. 

I agree entirely, they may have a very small case for not allowing big bikes on the tollways, but the highway which passes Don Muang airport, there is absolutely no excuse at all for not allowing bikes over 250cc on that highway.

Lots of wrong info on this thread.

Best post was by the poster, Denim.

I have ridden my 125 from Pattaya to Bangkok and back around 25 times.

Starting in Pattaya, you have the choice of the motorway (7) or Sukhumvit (3).

If you take the 7, you must get off just before Chonburi City because the tolls begin and bikes are not allowed and join the Chonburi bypass. This leads straight into Bang Na Trat.

If you take the 3, you would be well advised to get off Sukhumvit at Bang Saen and take the Chonburi bypass which will again lead you to Bang Na - Trat.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

If you need to ask the question you shouldn't be thinking about doing it.

Do not agree, the OP will get lots a good advice from the likes of Robbo, and other bikers who have done the route from Bangkok to Pattaya.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Do not agree, the OP will get lots a good advice from the likes of Robbo, and other bikers who have done the route from Bangkok to Pattaya.

Briggsy has good info.. i only said its confusing if you use a gps.. because you just can't take the tollway. I have not done this trip on a bike.. just by car.. and by car its easy and because of all the restrictions I would not do it on a bike. But that is because I am not good with maps and directions and if i can't rely on a gps (that will send me to places you can't go on a bike) I am lost. 

Good post Robbo, I would never even think of using a GPS on a motorbike, your eyes have to be on the road all the time except for quick glances in the mirror, or a quick look over your shoulder to check your blind side.

I am not telling you something you don't know, but the state of some Thai roads, and your average Thai driver and rider means you cannot keep looking at a gps all the time like on a car.

The road I took several times from Bangkok to Pattaya is very easy, but I have stopped doing it because of not being allowed on the highway all the way down past Don Muang, ( I was coming from Nakhon Sawan) it might just be worth it, if I could keep 300 Bt in my pocket for the BiB.

Edited by possum1931

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Good post Robbo, I would never even think of using a GPS on a motorbike, your eyes have to be on the road all the time except for quick glances in the mirror, or a quick look over your shoulder to check your blind side.

I am not telling you something you don't know, but the state of some Thai roads, and your average Thai driver and rider means you cannot keep looking at a gps all the time like on a car.

The road I took several times from Bangkok to Pattaya is very easy, but I have stopped doing it because of not being allowed on the highway all the way down past Don Muang, ( I was coming from Nakhon Sawan) it might just be worth it, if I could keep 300 Bt in my pocket for the BiB.

A gps on a motorbike is the same as on a car.. in general you don't have to look at it a lot especially if your on a motorway. It will say 10 km to go until a turnoff.. so your busy with it a lot. 

Its just not worth it often on a bike with all those restrictions. 

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

My Garmin GPS has a Bluetooth facility which I can slave to my phone and use the earpiece.

You can install Garmin Basecamp on your PC and plan the route out beforehand. Plot the waypoints on Basecamp and send it to your Garmin then when you are ready you can just enter the waypoints in order and off you go.

It has worked for me for years on my Honda Phantom and taken me from my house in rural Khampaeng Phet down to BKK, up to Chiang Mai, Umphang, some nice twisty trips and you can program the Garmin to avoid toll roads, major roads etc and you can plot gas stops, food stops and hotels guest houses etc.

21 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Use the frontage roads. I do.