Bike check for road tax after 5 years..easy

robblok

I got a big bike ninja 650 that is modified a bit. I got an other exhaust on it (just a bit louder but not much) and some xeon headlights. So I was worried this was going to be a problem. I went to my local bike shop and asked them about it they told me there was a shop that checks the bike at 1km from my home. So that was great, this morning I drove there and 5 minutes later I was out it was all done and approved. 

I heard horror stories about this so I was worried.. that is one worry less. But truth be told the bike is not much louder and probably well below the sound levels allowed. There are small bikes that are louder than my bike :shock1:

I really expected a bit more, this was in the suburbs of BKK and the price was only 260bt. I am a happy camper.. now the other question is do I have to let the bike checked every year now ? Not so much of a worry now anymore but would like to know. 

Yes it needs to be checked every year after first 5 years (7 years for cars)

The modifications only really become troublesome at police check points (if they want to find faults)
And at the Department of Land Transportation when buying /selling they inspect the vehicle and modifications challenged (sometimes)

If your "other exhaust " doesn't have T.I.S stamp physically stamped into the metal then its technically illegal .

24 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes it needs to be checked every year after first 5 years (7 years for cars)

The modifications only really become troublesome at police check points (if they want to find faults)
And at the Department of Land Transportation when buying /selling they inspect the vehicle and modifications challenged (sometimes)

If your "other exhaust " doesn't have T.I.S stamp physically stamped into the metal then its technically illegal .

I still got the original exhaust so if I ever want to sell it it wont be a problem. It would be a problem to change it each year. Its an aprovic (or whatever you spell it) I did not see a T.I.S. stamp not sure where it should be. 

Never have been checked like that by the police been through quite a few checkpoints.  But as stated.. the exhaust is not really loud so it does not draw attention. 

I still got the original exhaust so if I ever want to sell it it wont be a problem. It would be a problem to change it each year. Its an aprovic (or whatever you spell it) I did not see a T.I.S. stamp not sure where it should be. 

Never have been checked like that by the police been through quite a few checkpoints.  But as stated.. the exhaust is not really loud so it does not draw attention. 

Most (not all) exhausts with that name are cheaper copies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I really expected a bit more, this was in the suburbs of BKK and the price was only 260bt.

l took my Versys to an approved Gov test place with blue & yellow signs, they wouldn't touch or move it just checked frame & engine No's, took a rear picture of bike & No. plate, paid 60 baht for the certificate so wonder why Gov check in Bkk more expensive. 

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

l took my Versys to an approved Gov test place with blue & yellow signs, they wouldn't touch or move it just checked frame & engine No's, took a rear picture of bike & No. plate, paid 60 baht for the certificate so wonder why Gov check in Bkk more expensive. 

They moved and touched it.. but i did not see what they did I doubt it was much. But I am happy it is done. 

I remember a few years ago when we took the wife's 15 year old Wave in for the check for the first time.  I kept saying to her we need to put a new tyre on it, adjust the brakes and put headlamp globe....and she kept saying it was OK.....and it was OK!  But that was in PhiChit, some provinces they maybe a lot tougher on the checks!   :laugh:

15 minutes ago, BSJ said:

I remember a few years ago when we took the wife's 15 year old Wave in for the check for the first time.  I kept saying to her we need to put a new tyre on it, adjust the brakes and put headlamp globe....and she kept saying it was OK.....and it was OK!  But that was in PhiChit, some provinces they maybe a lot tougher on the checks!   :laugh:

Yeah so easy to believe places are slack, my scoot first 5 year check was in a place near our village, they only check bikes but not big bikes, it came the time of road lic & lns renewal they didn't look at the scoot l just paid them money for everything and said come back next week. :biggrin:

They rubbed numbers on scoot that's all.

Edited by Kwasaki
They rubbed numbers

On my 2 stroke Honda NSR rat bike they tested the exhaust emissions and loudness they also checked all the lights and horn worked

On my old but looking nice four stroke Suzuki Raider they just took rubbing s of frame and engine numbers. Same test center same testing mechanic.

I saw a great example the other day on Sukhumvit road  a wrecked pickup truck  was driving like a crab   the back wheels where about half a meter out of alignment with the front wheels,  pity the dash cam video was overwriten by the time I got home  :sad: