Chiang Mai's Top Ten Drinking Bars

roamp

actually the Bear's Den is an awesome bar. i enjoy their buy 1 for 2 deal on beers between 5.30 and 6.30pm. quiet and right by the river.

Is the Bear's Den still open?

Every time I pass it...the gates are shut.

I liked it

It was open a couple of weeks back but being the only customer there was a bit boring. Well positioned pool table and the staff happily played a couple of games but they were a lot better than me - not difficult :o

The mysterious outdoors quantum yaa dawng bar two blocks up from Chiang Mai Gate deserves an honourable mention. When you look for it, it isn't there, and when you are just driving along minding your own business, suddenly it just hovers there on the sidewalk like a mirage, complete with shoddily made up girls and tuk tuk drivers drinking to forget. Their wares pack quite a punch too.

The mysterious outdoors quantum yaa dawng bar two blocks up from Chiang Mai Gate deserves an honourable mention. When you look for it, it isn't there, and when you are just driving along minding your own business, suddenly it just hovers there on the sidewalk like a mirage, complete with shoddily made up girls and tuk tuk drivers drinking to forget. Their wares pack quite a punch too.

Really?

Are you sure that you haven't been hitting the magic mushrooms? :o

1. Number One. The name says it is. Lot's of pretty smiles, no hassles, talkative expats.

2. Can Do Bar. I haven't been there yet but any place that gets condom bouquets at their grand opening is OK with me.

3. John's Place. Small Chang, 28 baht. Mekong whiskey, 28 baht. That's with a "Pathetic Old Man Discount Card."

4. Linda's Bar. A dozen girls waiting out front at 6 PM can make a man thirsty.

5. Foxy Lady. Only place that serves up Beer Lao with bikinis.

6. The Peak Pool Bar. Wild turkey, Jose Cuervo...90 baht.

7. The Pub. British Peacocks replace the bar girls.

8. Chiangers and Bangers. But only during a ladies pool tournament.

9. Marijuana. Would have been Number 1 except they don't have any. Not many customers either.

10. Tiger Bar. Good thing they roasted a whole pig instead of a tiger at their grand opening.

1. moon garden

2.black cat

3.the spotlight when it was just one shophouse

4.lindas bar when it was the only bar in loi kroh

5.papa dicks

6.johns place when it was where cosy corner is

7. cosy corner when it was where johns place is

8.any bar down the night bazzarre drain

9.sandys in the bar beer centre ( umm dont ask )

10.the escape ( under the management of dippy eddie )

1. Number One. The name says it is. Lot's of pretty smiles, no hassles, talkative expats.

2. Can Do Bar. I haven't been there yet but any place that gets condom bouquets at their grand opening is OK with me.

3. John's Place. Small Chang, 28 baht. Mekong whiskey, 28 baht. That's with a "Pathetic Old Man Discount Card."

9. Marijuana. Would have been Number 1 except they don't have any. Not many customers either.

10. Tiger Bar. Good thing they roasted a whole pig instead of a tiger at their grand opening.

1. moon garden

2.black cat

5.papa dicks

You joined the forum two days ago and are expressing opinions that should take months of selectivity. How long have you been in Chiang Mai????

Quite a bit longer, obviously. :o

Anyway, I will keep an eye out for the Ya Dong bar.. So that would be to the East of Chiang Mai Gate right? I think I've seen a bar-like structure there, just never checked it out.. . .

Also, anyone up for a Ya Dong foray on Sri Ping Muang Road, shout.

Cheers,

Chanchao

1. moon garden

2.black cat

5.papa dicks

You joined the forum two days ago and are expressing opinions that should take months of selectivity. How long have you been in Chiang Mai????

The question is not how long someone has been in Chiang Mai, but how long, if ever, it will take them to get out of the tourist ghettos in Chiang Mai.

1. moon garden

2.black cat

5.papa dicks

These places are mostly 15 years old.

I think that he has been here long enough to "select" his favorites! :o

It wasn't long ago that a few poster's were lauding the wonders of "lucky bar", with some frequently enquiring "has it re-opened yet"

Well most will know that it did reopen some time ago.

I passed it by a couple of times last night and on both occasions the only people in there, were "the girls"

Clearly the makeover has not done anything to improve it in any way. :o

1. moon garden

2.black cat

5.papa dicks

been coming and going for 15 years but get a bit melancholy this time of year and start reminising .thats spelt wrong i know . been reading your forum for long time just never got around to joining. glad i did

It wasn't long ago that a few poster's were lauding the wonders of "lucky bar", with some frequently enquiring "has it re-opened yet"

Well most will know that it did reopen some time ago.

I passed it by a couple of times last night and on both occasions the only people in there, were "the girls"

Clearly the makeover has not done anything to improve it in any way. :o

the old girls working there dont seem to be there. only occasionally when the place is full. then they show up. where do they earn their living?