What book are reading now?

Wilsonandson

I thought that it was La paz prison Rusty Young was in?or was it a prison in LaPaz?

There is a good book,if you can find it called 'Carabanchul'.Its about an English dope smuggler that is put in the last of the old style prisons in Spain.Very graphic as to the treatment of prisoners in that era.

The guy was a subject on the 'Banged up abroad' series on the NGC.

Am on book two of the Ibis Trilogy, a series, by Amitav Ghosh.

First is Sea of Poppies.

Set in the days of the Opium Wars scenes start in India moving to Mauritius and China.

An extraordinarily brilliant style, fantastic characters......some real....... and cannot recommend it highly enough.

16 hours ago, dogpatch55 said:

Bearback...   The  world  overland... by  Dr.  Pat  Garrod..   A 4  year trip  around the  world by motorbike...  Interesting book.   Another  good  one  is  cycling to  the  ashes..  by  Oli  Broom..  very  good!!

Another good biker book is "The Motorcycle Chronicles" by Ernesto (Che) Guevara, partly explains his radicalization.

Opium Fiend by Steve Martin who wrote some of the Thailand guidebooks. He lived in Chiang Mai from about  1990-1995 and so did I. We knew some of the same people, but I do not recognize his picture. He was a serious collector of Opium gear and got very addicted to Opium himself. The book is well written. I really enjoyed it. 

the sea, the sea by Iris Murdoch...it has always puzzled me how novelists manage to come up with such complicated characters...I thought the same when I read Dostoyevski as a teenager: how could anyone come up with a character like Raskolnikov?...any fantasies that I had regarding my abilities as a writer were thereby soon dispatched...

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:21 PM, dogpatch55 said:

Bearback...   The  world  overland... by  Dr.  Pat  Garrod..   A 4  year trip  around the  world by motorbike...  Interesting book.   Another  good  one  is  cycling to  the  ashes..  by  Oli  Broom..  very  good!!

IN the same vein, was a early 80s book Venus, around the world on a Triumph

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 6:00 PM, williet98248 said:

I have read all the Jack Reacher novels.  But I can't get my head around 5'8"  140 pound Tom Cruise playing 6'5" 230 pound Jack Reacher.  Night School?  A new JR novel?  I will look for it.  The movie JR should be 'The Rock' Dwayne Johnson.  Tom Cruise?  No way!

Just finished a memoir by Daniel Ellsberg (Secrets) about his involvement in the Vietnam war and his releasing the Pentagon Papers.  Alternating between breathless and outraged while reading.  The Kite Runner is in my unread stack and I have ordered three books on Aquaponics.

Agree about the crap casting - I thought the from POI would have been good. 

42 minutes ago, The manic said:

Green River Rising - One of the toughest crime thrillers ive ever read. Set in a prison in the states.  I Pilgrim- One of the most gripping and disturbing books I've  ever read about modern Muslim terrorism. 

Is that I Pilgrim, or I Am Pilgrim?

Green River Rising - One of the toughest crime thrillers ive ever read. Set in a prison in the states.  I Pilgrim- One of the most gripping and disturbing books I've  ever read about modern Muslim terrorism. 

Just finished 'I Pilgrim ', crackin read![emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:47 AM, KNJ said:

IN the same vein, was a early 80s book Venus, around the world on a Triumph

Four  of  the  best  are...  OLD  MAN  ON  A  BIKE     and   Old  men  can t wait  by   Simon   Gandolfi...   And  The  long  ride  home   and    running  towards  the  light..  by  Nathan  Millward...    Are  you  meaning  Jupiters travels???  by  Ted  Simon ..   If  so  that's  another  great  book!!  As  is   Dreaming of  Jupiter....  Which  is  about  his  trip   in  2001  when he  was  69..

18 hours ago, dogpatch55 said:

Four  of  the  best  are...  OLD  MAN  ON  A  BIKE     and   Old  men  can t wait  by   Simon   Gandolfi...   And  The  long  ride  home   and    running  towards  the  light..  by  Nathan  Millward...    Are  you  meaning  Jupiters travels???  by  Ted  Simon ..   If  so  that's  another  great  book!!  As  is   Dreaming of  Jupiter....  Which  is  about  his  trip   in  2001  when he  was  69..

Yes Sorry it was Jupiter's  Travels, and I did not know of his second book , but hope to find a copy now I know

Another good read, but old book is "Seven years with Samantha" restoring a vintage Austin Seven and driving around the world.

I remember the explanation of the naming of the Austin Seven by someone they encountered in India, "It is called the seven, because that is the number of passengers it can carry"....... the mind boggles