Neighbour stealing electricity

thaipod

8 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Nope. My house in Europe is installed according highest standards with the best electrical components on the market.

Breakers have to switch off if a group draws more than the set current which big angle grinders do at startup.  It's only for a second, after startup they draw within the limit of the breakerswitch. Oldstyle fuses can stand it for a second.

The welders probably know that so that's why they connect their equipment to the poles on the street. You think they do that for fun? 

I used angle grinders and power tools for over 40 year in the UK and never once had a fuse trip or blow.

Sockets are rated at 32 amp in the UK.

If your grinder was tripping fuses, then the fault lies within your grinder causing spiking.

I rewired my house in Thailand to IEE regulations and have never had a circuit breaker trip using a power tool.

Most electric welders in Thailand require 50amp, because of the gauge of steel used for roof fabrications, so when working on single phase housing they connect directly into the supply between meter and consumer unit.

You pay for electric used, but it doesn't fry your wiring or consumer unit. It's perfectly standard practice in Thailand.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Follow the wire to where it ends and face them with the fact, that this wire runs off your line.

They will claim not knowing anything about it which will allow you to disconnect the wire and they will have to look elsewhere. They will not complain to you because they told you they would know nothing about it in the first place. 

Thainess at its finest! 

You got it,think like a Thai and beat them with their own "logic".To the nervous nellies,do you think Thai people would put up with electricity theft.

14 hours ago, impulse said:

700 baht a month = around $250 a year.  Hardly the kind of money that I'd risk life, limb or property over- principles or not.

Maybe ask them to keep an eye on your empty property in return for the juice?  Win-win.  

Can i come plug in at your house.Will a extension lead reach to Lower Issan?

12 hours ago, thaipod said:

Now after all those posters replies burn their house down,call the police, cut their power, I've lived here for over 20 years and have lived in different communities and employed workers to know how these people think and act when loosing face and up against the wall. Quite often you don't deal with one but many out of control individuals that  don't forgive.

The result today is that the electricity department turned up and waited for him to come home with my wife and her 2 military subordinates and confronted him relating the cables coming off our main lines. Answer.... had workers working repairing the roof and did not know they had connected to our meter...  Daahhh.  Sorry Sorry.  Made him sign papers and all went home.

This is Thailand....

So,is the illegal line disconnected?

1 hour ago, thaipod said:

Electrical Dept has just moved the meter to the other side of the property where there are no trees to hide incoming cables. Thinking of putting in conduit along the fence line.

Problem solved

But some here want you to carry on paying for the guys electric....:cheesy:

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Your wife is soft in the head if you are paying the bills. Either get the meter relocated closer to your property, or put an isolation switch in and lock it off while away. I wouldn't care if they steal from the electricity company, but I would  not be paying for thieves' power.

Connect the thieves' power lines to the terminals of a stun gun. 

22 hours ago, impulse said:

700 baht a month = around $250 a year.  Hardly the kind of money that I'd risk life, limb or property over- principles or not.

Maybe ask them to keep an eye on your empty property in return for the juice?  Win-win.  

Thieves looking after your property, nice thought

Easiest solution - hire someone to reconnect the wires above your meter so it doesn't go through your meter 1st and then just forget about it.  If the electric company ever investigates they'll go after them and you're in the clear as only a weekend visitor. :smile:

Edited by mrwebb8825

On 14/11/2016 at 3:01 AM, colinneil said:

Be very careful of this situation, as many Thais do it and they think it is ok.

You upset them and you could find yourself getting problems from them.

All over the country workers steal electric, and think nothing of it.

2 years ago when we were having work done, workers connected to the mains supply, just climbed the pole attached the wires and started welding. When i said you cannot do that, you are stealing. Answer  was what we do wrong.

It's called stealing. They should have cut the cables. If someone is stealing your electricity supply, they need to be stopped. I can't believe people on this forum thinking this kind of thing should go unpunished.

On 14/11/2016 at 9:28 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

How long have you been in Thailand? Cross a Thai and the OP might come next time and find the place burned to the ground. No.1 rule in Thailand - never make them lose face. No.2 - don't get the better of them (often the same thing). Thais aren't very good on being disciplined. You might have noticed it with the general two-finger salute to the law, any law.

I lived here for 12 years and would never let them get away with something like that. If work on my house was botched, they would get a phone call to come round and put it right. Done diplomatically, it worked every time.