Why should I live in pattaya ?

johnmcedinghburg

Hi we sold our home in Chiang Mai and want to relocate

Now we see such an nice houses on baan Dusit lake that we are considering to give an look around

We are both European so would like to know why we should choose for Pattaya or why we shouldn't choose for Pattaya or perhaps to hula hin or back to Europe

Any information would be great.

Enough to do.?

Maybe any special other forums?

Could you have in mortgage in Pattaya as foreigner? (Probably not)

Thanks in advance for your help

Read through these threads: When boredom starts to rule the day, I Love Pattaya, and Why live in Pattaya?

Great place to live; pay no attention to our brigade of old curmudgeons posting here. You're used to Chiang Mai, so you know how it is in Thailand.

No, you can't have a mortgage--in short. Rent for a while, look around, see what you think.

You can't go look around in HH and Pattaya and make you own choice based on what you see/fell, perhaps stay a month in each place and check it out?

I got a mortgage from the developer when I bought my 1st house, 50% down and then monthly payment until done, 0% interest rate.

A expat friend of mine bought a 10 year old house from an expat and he pretty much got the same deal as me so it is often possible to make a deal with the owner regarding a mortgage, but that obviously have to be in writing via a good lawyer and what will happen if the payments are not forthcoming and so on.

Yes rent first to make sure you both like your chosen place, many houses are both for rent & sale.

Dear all thanks for your help and onemorechang is right. We decide to stay by our plan and will move back to Spain where we lived 8 years ago for 8 years yes the houses are wonderful and low price I never could have this again but the house is not the only thing what is making your life. We are both European we find it to hot we love to sit outside on an terrace to take an coffee and to walk around. Here it is to hot to do it, also the traffic here in cm has changed so much in the last 8 years, also it is very hard to make the right friends. Again thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, johnmcedinghburg said:

Dear all thanks for your help and onemorechang is right. We decide to stay by our plan and will move back to Spain where we lived 8 years ago for 8 years yes the houses are wonderful and low price I never could have this again but the house is not the only thing what is making your life. We are both European we find it to hot we love to sit outside on an terrace to take an coffee and to walk around. Here it is to hot to do it, also the traffic here in cm has changed so much in the last 8 years, also it is very hard to make the right friends. Again thanks for your help.

Ref the heat in CM, esp Mar - Jun prior to rainy season clouds (& the bad air in CM March): If you try the Pasttaya area I suggest you rent a room in Jomtien & make sure it is close enough to the sea to get the sea breeze that will negate the effect of the heat & humidity.  

PS: Also rent a room that allows the sea breeze to flow through (ie, air entrance & exit) or you won't feel the full benefit of the sea breeze.

I think that if you go for a 1 week vacation there, you will have all of YOUR answers - - you may not gain too much from other peoples answers as to why they like or don't like it. Pattaya is pretty in your face - - not much hidden. You can be your own judge if it works for you or not. Good luck.

I am living in Bang Saray, about 20 kilometers south of Pattaya.

Some have described it as.a "sleepy fishing village". Not as "sleepy" as my birth town, or my other home in the US, but much quieter than Pattaya, while being close enough to the city if I want to brave the traffic or ride a bus to go there.

I see you have decided to return to Spain... is it really much cooler there?

I know it gets hotter at my Arizona home, but as often said, it is a dry heat. ?. 

You will never escape the heat in Thailand- it is always there . However, there are areas in which one can get clean air but Pattaya is not that place. The air is polluted and the traffic is bad. You can find nice houses to rent around the area within 30 km of the city which gives you enough nearness for the shopping and sea. Pattaya is just another growing city like CM and Bangkok. Go the countryside away from the hustle and bustle.

Don't even think about buying a house- you cannot own land in Thailand no matter who tells you it is possible. It is not legal.  It is legal to purchase a condominium but make sure the location is good if you plan on selling later.

You are doing the right thing heading back to Europe. Like you say, simple pleasures like going for a walk here are out of the question due to the heat, it's ridiculous. Many on here will say that's BS  and you can go for pleasant strolls, but you cannot, it's simply too frigging hot, end of story.

The heat here drives me insane, it's simply not a natural way to live everyday, in fact it is completely <deleted>*ked up and in truth a very depressing, sad way to live. Don't bother to argue either.

32 minutes ago, mduras01 said:

I disagree. I do go for nice evening strolls with my girlfriend in the Sois of Nimman in Chiang Mai. We sit at a corner hotel/bar and have a cocktail too. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

+1

We often walk on the Pattaya Beach promenade after dinner in the weekends or on the beach which my son loves. The hookers/ladyboys leaves me alone when I am with my family.

Spain is nice but too bloody cold in the winters and I also read about big problems with home invasion by East Europeans on the Gold Coast, beating up older expats despite they voluntary gave up their money/jewelry.  

1 hour ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

You are doing the right thing heading back to Europe. Like you say, simple pleasures like going for a walk here are out of the question due to the heat, it's ridiculous. Many on here will say that's BS  and you can go for pleasant strolls, but you cannot, it's simply too frigging hot, end of story.

The heat here drives me insane, it's simply not a natural way to live everyday, in fact it is completely <deleted>*ked up and in truth a very depressing, sad way to live. Don't bother to argue either.

We were there august last year and so hot. Going back with wife this coming April so will be hot again. Not sure if I could live there. We will see one day. 

Only reason to relocate to Pattaya is to get cheap sex often. I suggest you go with Hua Hin or Europe.

Cheap sex? I should be so lucky all I get is cutting the grass shopping,and watching tv with the wife,I can't even go out for expensive sex,she won't let me

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

That's why we have a nice big air-conditioned shopping mall to walk around in. :) Besides, I see LOTS of people out walking on the promenade. I like the weather here just fine! Sea breeze is nice too.

Funny how a member can become obsessed with a certain quality of life aspect he regards as essential and ignore all the rest. It appears that underneath he really just desperately wants to go back to the UK and so fixates on the aspect as the "without which, nothing" excuse for leaving--yet continues to stay year after year and complain.

We used to have another old Pat here, Pattaya Pat, who had exactly the same obsession, always dreaming to stroll on high streets:

Do you watch Sky News? Out in the high streets you see folk just strolling around leisurely, winow shopping, whatever, and quite often on those very wide streets (often cobbled) where cars cannot enter...I would love something like that here . . . . Pattaya Pat, on 09 Jun 2014 - 15:46

Always trying to be helpful, I called his attention to a paradise, exactly what he wanted, where he might stroll to his heart's content and have quite a sex life too:

and not long thereafter we heard from him no further. I trust he's moved there and has at last found happiness. Pat in Pattaya, you might consider it as well and meet up with Pattaya Pat there.

Edited by JSixpack

5 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

pattaya is a dream for a married man. the gentlemans clubs in pattaya are the best in thailand and open 2pm. 'just off for a round of gold hunny' come back sweaty, no one is the wiser.

and their i was thinking marriage was all about trust. see uve taught me something new today.

it might be that way back in the west but i dont know any guys in monogomous marriages here in pattaya. even the ones scared of their thai wives.

You know the wrong sort of people,I know plenty ,and they are not scared of their wives either,just love them

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Can we just drop the Pattaya = red light correlation?

Hamburg is about the size of Pattaya in terms of population, maybe even smaller. Has a famous red light district, the Reeperbahn. No one would raise an eyebrow if you tell him your're going to Hamburg. They all do when you tell them you're going to Pattaya. You can live quite a normal live in Pattaya if you want to an enjoy its great infrastructure, affordable international restaurants and nice nature in its outskirts.