SURVEY: Are instances of Road Rage increasing in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Are the instances of road rage increasing in Thailand?  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think things have changed. When I first moved here 4 years ago, it was one of the things I liked. Thai people seemed very patient and forgiving of others mistakes or bad driving. I saw people do things that would have got them lynched by the side of the road in Australia. A couple of wai's and all was forgiven. live and let live. Now it seems more horn honking and people getting angry.

I think people have forgotten one of the major driving rules in Thailand, That is, If you, or the passenger, have one arm out the window waving at the ground, you can do anything you like.

Uturn across 4 lanes of moving traffic, turn left from right hand lane etc.

If people remembered this important part of the Thai traffic code, there would be no Road Rage.

11 hours ago, Docno said:

I didn't vote because I only have about 6 years' driving experience in Thailand, and not a lot during that time either. But I have to say that when I first started driving in Thailand, I was surprised how patient most Thai drivers are... I see people doing crazy things at times, but no-one honks at them, gives them the "Canadian salute" (middle finger), etc etc. I've spent a lot of time driving in Canada and Singapore. Thais seem the most patient but most insane in the moves they pull; Canadians seem more aggressive (more easily pissed off); and Singaporeans more inconsiderate (they will speed up and block you when you indicate an intention to change lanes).  

Yes - Unlike In Thailand - in Singapore they have clear and enforced traffic rules. Anyone who tries to take any liberties is asking for a snub from fellow drivers. Lane discipline, traffic light discipline, pedestrian crossing discipline etc etc are all expected from all drivers. Tolerance is low, and police enforcement is rarely needed but harsh.

Edited by bangon04

5 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Yes - in Singapore they have clear and enforced traffic rules. Anyone who tries to take any liberties is asking for a snub from fellow drivers. Lane discipline, traffic light discipline, pedestrian crossing discipline etc etc are all expected from all drivers. Tolerance is low, and police enforcement is rarely needed but harsh.

Which is all very well for singa's but this is about Thailand. 

It's called the "Bantum Rooster Complex."

According to my "Sainted Mother," Little Men in Big Trucks like to show off and are rather thin-skinned.

It has to do with their feelings of inadequacy in a "particular department," thus they tend to get their Frillies  in a twist and chuck a Tanty (Tantrum) when they feel they have lost face whilst driving.

18 hours ago, Toknarok said:

Of course it's increasing. More and more vehicles on the overcrowded roads coupled with the appalling driving standards it's bound to increase. Ubiquitous mobile 'phones recording everything bring it to our attention.

It's a wonder Prayuth hasn't publically announced that its all Yingluck's fault.  She introduced the 1st car owners scheme and should be arrested and charged with dereliction of duty.

10 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Yes - Unlike In Thailand - in Singapore they have clear and enforced traffic rules. Anyone who tries to take any liberties is asking for a snub from fellow drivers. Lane discipline, traffic light discipline, pedestrian crossing discipline etc etc are all expected from all drivers. Tolerance is low, and police enforcement is rarely needed but harsh.

I'm not talking about "lane liberties", I'm talking about merely changing lanes to prepare for a turn off the road, etc. They will actually speed up to block you out. The most self-centred drivers I've seen. If you know anything about Singapore, you will know it's related to the concept of 'chope' (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kf-seetoh/laws-of-singapore-hawker-centres_b_1837600.html)

3 hours ago, Docno said:

I'm not talking about "lane liberties", I'm talking about merely changing lanes to prepare for a turn off the road, etc. They will actually speed up to block you out. The most self-centred drivers I've seen. If you know anything about Singapore, you will know it's related to the concept of 'chope' (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kf-seetoh/laws-of-singapore-hawker-centres_b_1837600.html)

I have noticed this lane behaviour but usually I'm not sure if it's deliberate or due to lack of awareness. 

There definitely seems to be a lot of competition at the lights to get into pole position and to get away first when the lights change.

I'm trying hard not to get drawn in to the competition and just take a few minutes longer on my journey with much less risk.

I have mad the comment that many things in Thailand have changed as life has become more hectic today than it was when i came here in 1977 for the fist time.

There is a better level of matierial lifestyle now, but many Thais still are frustrated by what they see on television as the lifestyle they should expect and what is the actual lifestyle they are forced to live.

Just because they are better off matierialy, their level of satisfaction with their lives has not also increased.

The expectations they are told they can hope for are not in line with what they see in their day to day life.

On 11/20/2016 at 0:48 PM, MikeyIdea said:

Nope, a short honk is not offensive,  a long one is rude

Thai's attacking you? Rubbish. Please tell me where you live to have Thai's attacking you for blowing your horn?

Chiang Mai, twice, for short honks, that SAVED their LIFE ...and then almost KILLED me.

For a guy who has lived here so long, you seem not to know much about certain things.

On 11/20/2016 at 1:05 PM, Grubster said:

In my book beeping your horn and Blowing your horn is two entirely different things. I Blew my horn at a guy cutting me off on the expressway near the Airport and he stopped right in front of me nearly causing a pile up behind me, he jumped out and ran back to my truck to see a 250 lb 6'3' man behind the wheel and ran back to his car and left. I'm sure had I been a woman I would have been slapped around a bit. So you are telling me that you haven't seen outrage at people blowing there horns, you either don't drive much or you live in the boonies.

And thanks for saying the bit about being a woman ...because I argued this very point with a poster who has lived here for 30 years who claimed that had no bearing on me beeping lightly at a man, on a motorbike at high speed, who drifted into my car, thereby saving his life,  and him attacking me ..while him ..being a very large farang man ...and it never happening to him ...well it was somehow due to his superior nature.

Edited by amykat

On 11/20/2016 at 1:43 PM, MikeyIdea said:

You must use the Thai book living in Thailand, not your book

So, what you say is that you blew a long horn in Thailand and that is offensive and rude. You confirm that I am correct?

Since you question it. I have done some 400,000 km in Thailand the last 25 years, that's why I know a long horn is rude. What have you done?

However RUDE Thai people find a horn to be ... a horn is there for a reason.  However RUDE Thai people find screaming to be, well people scream sometimes.  I would still classify the fact that a driver will take dangerous driving actions, or literally get out of the car or off their bike and physically attack you or try to kill you, or shoot  you, or knife you ...as ROAD RAGE and ridiculous.

You are making it sound as if it is the accepted thing to do. Hey, we take our shoes off in the house in Thailand, if not, expect to get your head blown off, DUH.

Edited by amykat

Been driving here for nine years.  Overall, there are a huge number of Thai drivers who drive aggressively.  I haven't seen any difference.  Bad before, bad now.  Perhaps they are just getting more press with the advent of dashcams in most cars.

Edited by connda

Definetely increased.

It's now an almost daily occurrence, and i don't even made long rides anymore, maybe 15-20 miles per trip, but i am not surprised, with people being educated to always blame someone else, even if there are no foreigners around for it, people pretending that others would accept their kraaap no matter what, have multiplied exponentially....the only problem with it, might be that the person being blamed, instead to repeat the usual "mai pen rai", are actually the same, with the comsequences that one can easily imagine......

The laws regarding car horns state that you may only use your car horn while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence.

Car horn laws

Car horn laws

WHEN IS IT ILLEGAL TO USE THE CAR HORN

Inappropriate use of the car horn is dangerous and can distract other drivers, potentially leading to accidents. It’s also important to consider other peoples circumstances. Sounding your horn in built-up areas can affect people who are sleeping during the day due to sickness or due to working unsociable hours.

• Never sound your horn aggressively. Even if you are not at fault and a pedestrian or other road user acts dangerously, you must sound your horn only to alert them of your presence.

Sounding the horn in anger, often after the event has occurred is in fact illegal 

• While stationary on the road
Edited by Deepinthailand

15 hours ago, amykat said:

Chiang Mai, twice, for short honks, that SAVED their LIFE ...and then almost KILLED me.

For a guy who has lived here so long, you seem not to know much about certain things.

Yes, you can do two short honks too :biggrin: 

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

The laws regarding car horns state that you may only use your car horn while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence.

Car horn laws

Car horn laws

WHEN IS IT ILLEGAL TO USE THE CAR HORN

Inappropriate use of the car horn is dangerous and can distract other drivers, potentially leading to accidents. It’s also important to consider other peoples circumstances. Sounding your horn in built-up areas can affect people who are sleeping during the day due to sickness or due to working unsociable hours.

• Never sound your horn aggressively. Even if you are not at fault and a pedestrian or other road user acts dangerously, you must sound your horn only to alert them of your presence.

Sounding the horn in anger, often after the event has occurred is in fact illegal 

• While stationary on the road

It appears compulsory to beep the horn when passing a temple, or other places of worship.

I have not voted on this one as there seem to be more instances reported but it's possible that in the past there have been more that were not reported. We don't know. However, what seems clear is that of the instances reported, they are getting much more serious.

• 3 weeks later...

In my very limited experience of driving here ( previously drove in UK, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Singapore, Malaysia, Italy and most of N W Continent) the standard of driving hovers between crap on a good day and downright frightening on a bad day.

that has not improved any in the last few years but the number of vehicles on the road has.

that is most likely a major contributor to the road rage ( that I often succumb to much to the chagrin of the guvnor)