How Much History Do you Have in Bangkok?

Inspire

How Much History Do you Have in Bangkok?

Orlando Barton

bart-main1.jpg

All this month I’ve been going on about things I forgot I missed about living in Bangkok. It is only appropriate I end with a bit of history.

I first came to Thailand in 1999. It seems a lifetime ago … it seems like just yesterday. This August I moved back to Bangkok from Pattaya. This marks the fourth time I’ve attempted to be a permanent Bangkokian. Needless to say, this city and I have some history together.

I rode on the Skytrain the first day it was open. I’m quite proud of that. I predicted the BTS would change the way people live in this massive city. I bought condos strategically located along the Sukhumvit BTS line. It was nice to be right. I wish I still owned all of them.

I was here when Thaksin ran the show. I was here when the King turned 80. I was here when the Red Shirts burned down Central World. I was here for the Yellow Shirt storming of Suvarnabhumi Airport. I remember when Don Muang was the airport.

I also remember when it used to take five hours to get to Pattaya. Well, it didn’t always take that long, but it always could. Completion of the tollway was like throwing a rope around Pattaya and pulling it closer. Now it’s basically Bangkok Beach.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/much-history-bangkok/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2016-11-19

I look up to anyone who has been here longer than me. I look down on everyone else including the OP.

Unfortunately, by the same criteria, many of my expat friends look down on me.:sad:

• Lifes a bitch ....... but all things being equal, they should die before me then I will be top of the pile.:smile:

Life is wonderful if you live long enough to escape the consequences of habitual dissipation.

5 minutes ago, Denim said:

I look up to anyone who has been here longer than me. I look down on everyone else including the OP.

Unfortunately, by the same criteria, many of my expat friends look down on me.:sad:

• Lifes a bitch ....... but all things being equal, they should die before me then I will be top of the pile.:smile:

All things being equal and considering how long my parents lived I could end up living here 70 years before I call it quits.  

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

All things being equal and considering how long my parents lived I could end up living here 70 years before I call it quits.  

I look up to you. But then... when I'm flat on my back after yet another bottle of Lao Khao I also look up to our dog.

I am sure that in 1997 my first bus journey from Ekamai to Pattaya took two and a half hours. Last week Pattaya to Morchit took two and a half hours. To be fair there was severe congestion on the expressway and recent trips from Ekamai have taken under two hours.

The topic was/is "history" in Bangkok. Well many many visits but the longest stay has been two weeks so my history is pretty much down to a handful of places, mainly bars. Others being the C of E, the library and the FCCT.

Many people do not see it but the place has just got a vibe, a buzz about it, every time I go it seems to give me a lift. Unfortunately it is a bit pricey it is almost possible to drink for a week in many places on what would be gone in a night in BKK.

Enjoy living there, I know I would.

Edited by rott

It has always been a place of oddness and wonder.  Thais might be too close to the looking glass to see what we see sometimes.  It is a transit point, a place to indulge one's self, a place to reflect, a place to be careful, a place to relax.  Up until 2014, a place to love.  Now it is just a part of the journey.  

First time 1973 what do I remember Not a lot two weeks of beer sex beer and sex and not in that order. Then after that about 50 to 70 times Don muang/Suvarnabhumi airports driving round the outskirts of Bangkok. Just once have I had to go into Bangkok to the Embassy and that was enough. I'm quite happy to give the city a miss completely holds nothing for me. I like the country living always have. 

Bkk History for me, as little as possible,  Don Muang airport,  first ride in a Tuk-Tuk,  the floating market thingy a museum and only because we were waiting for UK Embassy return visit.

Wouldn't live there if ya paid me. :sick:

Bkk History for me, as little as possible,  Don Muang airport,  first ride in a Tuk-Tuk,  the floating market thingy a museum and only because we were waiting for UK Embassy return visit.

Wouldn't live there if ya paid me. :sick:

Reality is most can't afford to live there.. Because of what they are paid but none will admit it preferring to say I love living in a rice paddy surrounded by drunken Thai men, roosters and yapping dogs.. Oh well..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Reality is most can't afford to live there.. Because of what they are paid but none will admit it preferring to say I love living in a rice paddy surrounded by drunken Thai men, roosters and yapping dogs.. Oh well..

Strange reply,  a person either likes city life or not that's reality.

Reality for me was retiring somewhere l prefer after travelling all over most of Thailand.

Never been a city person and your description of Thai country life maybe has credibility in some places.  

My history of Bangkok is very short. It was 12 years ago when I first went to Bangkok and much though I liked all the touristy things I did, museums, royal barges, palace etc. I can only say it's a great place to come home from. 

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

I can afford it but choose not too. I just don't like big crowds of people anywhere. I was born a country boy and still am. I drive 50,000 kms a year up here in the jungle just to get my fill of nightlife, golfing, sightseeing, etc.  I love to drive here as the roads are good and only busy in the bigger towns from 3pm to 7pm. Much slower pace of life here no rush.  That said I have had some fun in Bangkok, Pattaya, etc. I rarely see drunken Thai men here but I know there are many.  I guess they are hard to find in the city too huh.  I can't tell you how much I love to hear the roosters in the morning, its actually even better than the sound of traffic outside your window, not quite as nice as an argument in the hallway or the pounding on the walls and floors of a early morning romp by a neighbor,  I really miss the sirens and horns.

I can afford it but choose not too. I just don't like big crowds of people anywhere. I was born a country boy and still am. I drive 50,000 kms a year up here in the jungle just to get my fill of nightlife, golfing, sightseeing, etc.  I love to drive here as the roads are good and only busy in the bigger towns from 3pm to 7pm. Much slower pace of life here no rush.  That said I have had some fun in Bangkok, Pattaya, etc. I rarely see drunken Thai men here but I know there are many.  I guess they are hard to find in the city too huh.  I can't tell you how much I love to hear the roosters in the morning, its actually even better than the sound of traffic outside your window, not quite as nice as an argument in the hallway or the pounding on the walls and floors of a early morning romp by a neighbor,  I really miss the sirens and horns.

Nicely said.

First came 1967- Don Muang Airport had no air conditioning- we had to find the IO and wake him up. Baggage came in by trolley all in a bunch- you had to get your own and then carry it to customs. No trolleys or porters.

NOne of the taxis had air conditioning and you bargained for price to go anywhere.

First hotel I stayed in was the Reno at about 50 Baht per night- it's still there.  No Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza. There were a few bars on Patpong. All the action was on Petchaburi Road.

It took about 5-6 hours to get to pattaya by car- no expressways. Pattaya had only 1 modern hotel and no nightlife. It was pristine- so clean and people so friendly. I remember having a dinner for 2 of huge Prawns and other dishes for about 100 Baht.

There Were not many Westerners in Bangkok- people actually stopped and stared when they saw you. LIfe was simpler; not a lot of traffic and the weather seemed much cooler even during the hot season.

There was an allowed entry for 15 days but no extension.A visa could be obtained that allowed 30 days .  Anyone wanting an extension had to place a bond of the equivalent of US$1000 in a Thai bank I also remember the Thai government at one point opened up residence permits for the asking and provided lifetime work permits. I never opted for these but I know a few people who did who are still here.

Bangkok was much nicer in thos days. the advent of tourism and the complications of the huge costs of living increase and family pressures have made Bangkok into another New York, London or Tokyo.  there are still some nices places if you know where to go but I now prefer the serenity of the countryside. Some people call it progress and globalization.  I call it greed and exploitation by the wealthy of the poor.

5 hours ago, mcfish said:

Blah blah blah my cars bigger than your car. I'm richer than you (in your dreams). I like living by rice paddies and yaping VILLAGE dogs (we don't have soi's here were posh), could be a lot worse but luckily you live in BKK.??

Edited by Deepinthailand

5 hours ago, mcfish said:

To be fair, it is possible to love and/or hate both... Seriously, I am torn. Even by 'lesser of two evils' criteria, it remains a freaking coin toss. BKK ultimately gets the nod over a place like, say, Prachin, perhaps due to the energy thing someone mentioned earlier. It just finds its way into your blood. Manhattan did something similar to me when I was a bit younger. It could be a soul-crushing place to live, while at the same time being equally difficult to leave. And for some reason, Bangkok, which has no immediately discernible similarities, managed to have the same net effect. Maddening, in certain respects. As for my history, I'm still working on it. That, and a big ol' bottle of Hong Thong. Good night, Chaps.

Edited by Songlaw
An errant vowel.

First arrived 1992. More history than some...less than others. It was and still is a great, exotic adventure. It was home with a bit of flair back then and now it's just home. Wouldn't trade it for any other place! 

Home Sweet Home...:wub:

My first bangkok experience was in 1984 .I stayed in the Raja at Sukhumvit, and also the Atlanta in those days, nowadays on the river.  I loved the place, for me it represented all that was exotic, a strange, mystic faraway country. I still love it there, and usually go there twice a year each time for 5 to 7 days. I always find different things to do, travel all the Klongs and visit unknown to tourists temples and markets. There are also some really beautiful houses hidden away down streets and alleys. There's more to see, so I'll keep on going back. 

11 hours ago, Grubster said:

13 hours ago, mcfish said:

11 hours ago, Grubster said:

I agree with Grubster.   Most of the time I am in Thailand, I stay in Bangkok, because that is where I need to be.   Within the next year, I may be living in Chiang Mai, because that will be where I need to be.  

History for me started in 1972 in much more rural Udon Thani.  Excepting the main streets, most of the streets or roads there were dirt or mud, depending on the time of year.  I was briefly in Bangkok and while it was a nice change, I enjoyed Udon much more.  

As to not being able to afford to live in Bangkok.  With more than 200,000 baht a month income, I can afford to live almost anywhere in Thailand.  I have met others with just as much income as well, that do not live in Bangkok.  

Bangkok is not anywhere as expensive as any city in the West. One can find very nice apartments/condo's for rent for around 7,000 Baht per month. Food is very inexpensive as long as you eat Thai food and transportation either by bus, skytrain or taxi is very inexpensive. Entertainment can be expensive if one goes out and partakes but each to his own. There are also plenty of places on the street to sit and have a cold beer and watch the people. Bangkok has something for everyone

While I now live in the country away from the hustle and bustle and the pollution - I try and get to Bangkok often as I miss the hidden treasures of the city. As one of the posters mentioned- there are undiscovered markets; beautiful houses and artifacts and of course the older parts of the city that most people never see.