Pattaya underpass set for completion in February - dolphins cavorting happily will represent image of Pattaya

webfact

42 minutes ago, kennw said:

Thats because most traffic is now taking the roads that parallel the railway line where traffic is terrible.  

42 minutes ago, kennw said:

Thats because most traffic is now taking the roads that parallel the railway line where traffic is terrible.  

I live on the Darkside and use those roads almost daily...not much traffic (except during rush-hour).

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

3 hours ago, ehs818 said:

I've lived here a long time. I've never seen a dolphin in the ocean, and don't understand why they build an underpass when an overpass would have been faster, cheaper, and less disruptive. I for one hope they don't build additional underpasses in town. These do nothing for the in town traffic, which is where all the problems are. Seriously, keep the big buses off the sidestreets, repair the damage they have already done, park those buses closer to Sukhumvit, and force the songtaews into a route that includes Third Road.

think the underpass is going to be great. can blast through half of pattaya now at a safe speed. the underpass is barley noticeable. those overpasses are unsightly especially as they age and the underside gets used by squatters. this underpass is a big step forward for pattaya traffic. fingers crossed for some other major intersections being done as well.. great job on getting it done so fast as well.

8 hours ago, callaway said:

Are they going to put dolphins in after it is full of water from flooding?

Don,t be silly not big enough for dolphins,but permits for catfish will be available after the first heavy downpour :cheesy:

1 minute ago, royalmice said:

Going to have a nice big swimming pool when the heavy rain season start.., like we have every year for the past 30 years

There's never been flooding at that point. It's a high part of the road.  Down toward South Pattaya Thai?  Absolutely.

15 minutes ago, petermik said:

It starts at one end then finishes at the other,quite simple really when you think about it :thumbsup:

Yes I can understand that, he-he, but I think there will be some branching inside the tunnel, to Pattaya downtown and a bridge on top 90Deg to Sukhumvit?

1 hour ago, sharecropper said:

Why did they build it with only two lanes to take all that three (and often four or more) lanes of traffic on Sukhumvit?

Because there are also at least 2 lanes, but from what I can see I think actually 4, at each side above the tunnel.

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

Because there are also at least 2 lanes, but from what I can see I think actually 4, at each side above the tunnel.

I hope you're right, and it makes sense if only through traffic uses the underpass, but that kind of negates the need for the tunnel doesn't it? If cars are still going to be stuck in tailbacks at those junctions.

8 hours ago, champers said:

What exactly is the city's link with dolphins? I don't see any trips in the bay to go dolphin watching, I know there is the inland dolphin show, but there are elephant, tiger, crocodile and snake shows too. It's like sports teams calling themselves cougars and wolves and suchlike for no apparent reason. Rant over.

Maybe after the first big rain it can be used by dolphins  :whistling:

15 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I can not wait to see how long It takes  for  this underpass  to flood

during and after the next big rain storm hits the Pattaya  area,  or

did  they remember to also get an effective pump system in place

as well.

Geezer

Why would it flood ?

19 hours ago, champers said:

What exactly is the city's link with dolphins? I don't see any trips in the bay to go dolphin watching, I know there is the inland dolphin show, but there are elephant, tiger, crocodile and snake shows too. It's like sports teams calling themselves cougars and wolves and suchlike for no apparent reason. Rant over.

It's future planning! They can can have dolphin shows there when it floods.

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I can not wait to see how long It takes  for  this underpass  to flood

during and after the next big rain storm hits the Pattaya  area,  or

did  they remember to also get an effective pump system in place

as well.

It will never flood (at least not until the whole of Pattaya floods, which would require a mega-tsunami) and pumps will never be needed.

Why? Because both exits are lower than the centre and beyond each exit the land slopes downwards fast.

16 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

It will never flood (at least not until the whole of Pattaya floods, which would require a mega-tsunami) and pumps will never be needed.

Why? Because both exits are lower than the centre and beyond each exit the land slopes downwards fast.

A pretty steep slope down Klang also.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Yup... never seen a flood on the top of a hill yet.

Yes your correct.

The roads in Pattaya are all built,   Flat,   straight, to a high standard and  Never Ever Sink,   turning them into fantastic ponds to drive through.

I have never seen that in Pattaya.

Funny thing is , roads seem to be better built outside of this town

i wonder why that is ?

Come on , don't spoil all our fun making jokes about the tunnel flooding

we all know it will never happen.

All will be fine. :thumbsup:

I hope the tunnel is a success.

Edited by onemorechang