'2017 election, maybe no new govt'

webfact

‘2017 election, maybe no new govt’
By The Nation

4b718153fd2d50218fdd07baf3025def.jpeg

Wissanu

BANGKOK: -- THE NEXT general election will definitely take place next year but a new government may not be formed by the end of the year, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said yesterday.

He said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had repeatedly maintained over the past year that the next election would be held in 2017, in line with the post-coup road map for a return to democracy.

However, Wissanu said “unforeseeable factors” could make it unlikely for a new administration to be formed within 2017, adding that it would take about two months for official election results to be announced after the vote. Under the new electoral system, a single ballot will be used for both constituency and party-list MPs, which would be unprecedented in Thailand.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/politics/30300702

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-24

You cannot make this stuff up.

55555 Unforeseen factors, thanks for the laugh !

I have to hand it to the Junta, the lies are quite a bit more laughable than those of any previous administration in say the last decade :)

edit:

"adding that it would take about two months for official election results to be announced after the vote. Under the new electoral system, a single ballot will be used for both constituency and party-list MPs, which would be unprecedented in Thailand. "

5555555555 I mean, maybe just maybe it is already clear that the system isn't designed properly as two months counting of votes would also be unprecedented for Thailand. Is Prayuth the only one counting all the votes or something :)

"Due to the new voting and vote-count systems, the political party with the most votes will not be guaranteed to form the government. The one that fails to get the most votes may succeed"

This was always the case, but surely the one with the most votes (or let's just say the most Seats in Parliament) would normally be allowed to start negotiations to form a government right ?

Edited by sjaak327

"Due to the new voting and vote-count systems, the political party with the most votes will not be garanteed to form the government. The one that fails to get the most votes may succeed," The deputy premier said.

Ok so am I missing somthing here?  A party that dosn't have enough votes can succeed,   What in the wide wide world of sports is going on then?   Ohh Ooop's my bad, TIT...  

16 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

"Due to the new voting and vote-count systems, the political party with the most votes will not be garanteed to form the government. The one that fails to get the most votes may succeed," The deputy premier said.

Ok so am I missing somthing here?  A party that dosn't have enough votes can succeed,   What in the wide wide world of sports is going on then?   Ohh Ooop's my bad, TIT...  

Let's not even draw comparison with the US Electoral College system where a candidate can become President without winning the popular vote this is simply the junta saying they'll decide who the next govt is no matter what.

All in the national interest naturally.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

What makes the government new , with half nominated by the old boys club and the Prime Minister a puppet of the Hi- So, one can only imagine how much power the people's representatives will have , with a Junta running the show it will be the same as the 1980's with improved spying technology, Thailand has already become a police state , a new government indeed.......................................:coffee1:

To make things easier on the voters, they could design a ballot with just one party junta name on it. Next to it there will be two boxes, either of which a voter must tick in order to make the ballot valid. The first box would read "yes", the other one, well, "yes" too.

2 hours ago, aussieinthailand said:

I remember reading some months or eben a year ago they had considered introducing the German electoral system of "personalized proportional voting" un the new constitution. Did they? Maybe that is what he is referring to with all the additional direct mandates that would incur.

To be honest Im not looking forward to it.  Streets lined with the hastily erected billboards of the leering faces of shady thai politicians (each only thinking of how to line his or her pockets).  Things have been quiet under this government for all its faults.  The beaches are starting to get cleaned up. There is a certain degree of order.  I wouldn't really want a return to the heyday of 2012 or the gun toting years of 2001 to 2006.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

To be honest Im not looking forward to it.  Streets lined with the hastily erected billboards of the leering faces of shady thai politicians (each only thinking of how to line his or her pockets).  Things have been quiet under this government for all its faults.  The beaches are starting to get cleaned up. There is a certain degree of order.  I wouldn't really want a return to the heyday of 2012 or the gun toting years of 2001 to 2006.

I wouldn't really want a return to... the gun toting years of 2001 to 2006.

Er, you do realise who's invaded Thailand and how it's being run right now?

8 minutes ago, StefanBBK said:

Could somebody please enlighten me as to how voting will be done? how will the parlament seats be filled? is the PM still elected by parlament? 

They will make it up, as they go along...:coffee1:

“Due to the new voting and vote-count systems, the political party with the most votes will not be guaranteed to form the government. The one that fails to get the most votes may succeed,”

It's almost as if some sort of entity is setting itself up as an absolutist ruler, that merely chooses a chamber of "advisers" according to it's own whim.

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

To make things easier on the voters, they could design a ballot with just one party junta name on it. Next to it there will be two boxes, either of which a voter must tick in order to make the ballot valid. The first box would read "yes", the other one, well, "yes" too.

That already basically happened over the 'Constitution' - the Thais were allowed either to vote for a continuation of military rule, or a continuation of military rule!

Edited by Eligius

1 hour ago, StefanBBK said:

Could somebody please enlighten me as to how voting will be done? how will the parlament seats be filled? is the PM still elected by parlament? 

Think of logical answers, and reverse them.