Thailand's New 10-Year Visas Meet Mixed Reactions

webfact

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

Mmaybe they are trying to reduce the workload on Immigration or have problems recruiting them. By having 5 year Visas they wont have so many people on an annual basis renewing their Visa.

Perhaps. But I'm skeptical that a huge portion of retirees would choose this option. If nothing else for financial reasons. The income requirement is higher than U.S. social security checks and I'm sure that's an issue for many of the other listed nations as well. Of course not all people have that as their only income, but many do. 

Another thing missing from this offering is any kind of path towards permanent residence. Add that and more people would go for it.

Not me though. If these new requirement levels ever REPLACED the current ones, without grandfathering, I would be out of here!

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, mki8 said:

all you would save is 5 days at immigration over 5 years

and why even bother if you can get elite for 1m/2m per 10/20 years

Maybe.  However, as discussed earlier in the thread, there is NO WAY the gov going to turn falang loose for five years at a time with only 90 day reports to keep tabs on them.  IF they actually do this, they will find other excuses for you to visit your friendly Imm office at least once each year in addition to the 90 Day Reports.   Unless there is some hidden logic underlying this, I'll be it goes nowhere because it makes no sense on its face.

Edited by rexall

On 24/11/2016 at 3:27 PM, ThailandLOS said:

If you live in Thailand 12 years, you are not entitled to Swedish healthcare any more. If you didn't report it to the Swedish authorities, you are in breach of law. Not much to brag about.

Oh and by the way, have taken a look recently on how the Swedish government healthcare service treats seriously ill patients recently? You will barely even get a queue number these days...

You wrong!

I am Swedish and even if I write me out from Sweden I still have the rights,

I just pay a little bit more, and if I come in acutely, I have precedence!
I know because I've already done it!

And why you think I live here without Sweden know it?

you need to look for facts before judging.lol

Edited by hellstens

On 11/24/2016 at 4:03 PM, zaZa9 said:

You bet its a gamble.

If your over 55 its a big gamble !

I was very happy to have insurance as I  was wheeled, barely hanging on to consciuosness ,  into the  Emergency Dept  of one of  Bkk  best hospitals and staff were yelling at me , "We can ONLY treat you if you have Insurance !!!"

I managed to mutter , "..money..." and they shook their heads and yelled it again.

I looked at my pocket.

Immediately they found my BUPA card , treatment started.

I was by myself that day and had nobody to speak for me.

I lost consciousness then , and didnt regain it for 2 days.

In that time I'd had an MRI , Cat Scan and all types of treatments ... all on the strength of that card.

So much for the idea of leisurely boarding a plane back to Australia and having things done for free should I become unwell...

Often heart attacks , strokes etc strike without notice.

Car and bike accidents NEVER have a warning ...

You REALLY dont want to be in another town or city by yourself without  any Insurance card  when they happen.

I wasnt capable of contacting my Thai family for 3 days - they had no idea what had happened , and therefore  no way to help me ... a locked phone was no good to the nurses , but a card was good for all of us.

Ive checked it , and found that if you join BUPA under the age of 60 , they contract to continue cover over 70.

( Yes it could get very expensive but ) 

I have highlighted that agreement and had it countersigned by a BUPA director.

The cost for basic inpatient coverage is about 800 pound sterling now , for me at 59.

Whatever -  IT GETS YOU IN THE  HOSPITAL DOOR !

No good having a few hundred thou in the bank , and no way to explain how to get at it to save your own life!!

Later I asked staff why they wouldnt take cash.

They said they would , but only if it was there and then , and that never happened.

They could 'pull' a credit card from the customers pocket , and put a "hold" on 100k , but ONLY if the patient ok'ed this - so not if a patient was unconscious....

That is not an insurance or not issue, it is a hospital being totally un-professional. Some people don't want to pay or are not allowed insurance cover. But can pay. Our visa requirements should not be decided by mercenary hospitals.  

24 minutes ago, chrissables said:

You bet its a gamble.

If your over 55 its a big gamble !

Sometimes the only choice you have is a gamble.  That's scary, but a reality. It is not like I planed it this way.  I cannot afford to live in the U.S.  Fortunately, I can afford my (crappy) BOOPA coverage here and the hope that I can return to the U.S. for medicare treatment if BOOPA is maxed out. I may lose.  Anyone wants to suggest some alternatives, I am all ears.  

If the carriers would just offer true catastrophic coverage with a high deductible, I would be as happy as a pig in mud.  Unfortunately, hypertension and conditions resulting from its "complications" are excluded. If they want to be <deleted>, they can claim that virtually anything resulted from complications of hypertension.  So, I might be screwed no matter what! :o{

6 minutes ago, rexall said:

Sometimes the only choice you have is a gamble.  That's scary, but a reality. It is not like I planed it this way.  I cannot afford to live in the U.S.  Fortunately, I can afford my (crappy) BOOPA coverage here and the hope that I can return to the U.S. for medicare treatment if BOOPA is maxed out. I may lose.  Anyone wants to suggest some alternatives, I am all ears.  

If the carriers would just offer true catastrophic coverage with a high deductible, I would be as happy as a pig in mud.  Unfortunately, hypertension and conditions resulting from its "complications" are excluded. If they want to be <deleted>, they can claim that virtually anything resulted from complications of hypertension.  So, I might be screwed no matter what! :o{

An alternative is if your married to a Thai and have a marriage visa, the public health system will accommodate you, although you will pay something, there is also, I am told another type of semi-private/government run hospital which you can register with too, saw it somewhere back in this post, probably back on page 2 or 3

On 24/11/2016 at 7:23 PM, mrfaroukh said:

It is a good idea to have the new 10 years insurance for those who can afford it and still keep the previous retirement visa. But compulsory medical insurance is a nonsense. I always buy travel insurance for the few months that I stay here everytime I come. It cover my medical insurance much better than the one we get here. I hope they will accept they travel insurance instead of medical insurance in Thailand.

Travel insurance only last a little while, that's why they want you to have health insurance

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hi there. The details of this new visa are not yet set. However, it seems to me that the insurance requirement will be defined by minimum value coverage AND able to use in Thailand, so I think your plan will likely be OK. 

I hope you are right.  But if they do accept a foreign medical plan the devil in the details will be what Immigration would require to confirm you really do have a plan and what its coverage really is.  

Now for me, I can log onto my account on a U.S. govt website called milConnect, go the health care section, and print a fancy eligibility/coverage letter dated today with govt letterhead, govt emblem, and signature that says I have U.S. govt Tricare coverage which provides coverage worldwide....see below image for the letter I pulled the other day.   And I would be willing to take the letter to the U.S. Embassy Bangkok and get it notarized. 

But it does not say what my coverage limits are because there really is no limit....if they need to spend a million USD on me per year that's what will happen.  Of course I have some small deductibles and get reimbursed at 75% for any hospital/doctor bill.  Nor does it say the coverage is worldwide....but us active duty/military retirees know it does.   But I can guarantee you a Thai Immigration officer would not know that. 

Now if Immigration needed something showing the coverage limits about all I could do is print out from the web some pages talking the annual deductible, the reimbursement rate, hand the officer a Tricare booklet talking use/coverage, etc.  There would be no policy sheet like you see with Auto insurance or life insurance that shows your coverage levels, deductibles, etc..

"If" they do end up accepting such foreign plans I expect they are going to want some kind of validation the document is legit/info accurate/you are indeed covered....kinda like how immigration needs the embassy income letter to validate your income or a letter from the bank validating you do have X-amount in the bank, etc.   The devil may be in the details....and it would be a learning curve for the immigration officer if the new visa allowed foreign medical plans.   

Time will tell....it could work out very well "for some"; but the medical plan coverage could be the Showstopper even for those folks who can meet the income level.  The great majority of Thai medical plans are not cheap for older folks (just flat out cost prohibitive), probably does not provide full coverage, no coverage for preexisting problems, etc...etc...etc.  

Yeap, details to come (maybe)...time will tell (maybe).

Capture.JPG

54 minutes ago, hellstens said:

You wrong!

I am Swedish and even if I write me out from Sweden I still have the rights,

I just pay a little bit more, and if I come in acutely, I have precedence!
I know because I've already done it!

And why you think I live here without Sweden know it?

you need to look for facts before judging.lol

You just told everyone that you don't have a health insurance since "No company want to make a  health insurance for affordable money anyway". And now you are saying that you "pay a little bit more" and get priority if you come to Sweden. Which in fact means that you have private medical policy in Sweden instead of Thailand and negates the statement "I live here for 12 years without any health insurance!  "

Not that I care any which way, but you should certainly get the facts straight yourself.

12 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Don't assume that Australia will help you if you don't live there. Medicare is withdrawn if you are non-resident, and have to re-enrol entirely if absent for more than 5 years, no?

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare-enrolment-returning-residents

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/medicare-card

To be eligible for Medicare, you must be one of the following:

• an Australian citizen who resides in Australia
  • a New Zealand citizen who resides in Australia
  • an Australian permanent resident who resides in Australia
  • someone who holds a Resident Return visa who resides in Australia
  • an applicant for permanent residency status (excluding parent applications) who resides in Australia, and has permission to work or can prove a relationship to an Australian citizen, permanent resident or with a New Zealand citizen who resides in Australia
  • a resident of a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) country who is visiting Australia, or
  • covered by a Ministerial Order

And

Supporting documentation

You may need to provide documents to confirm you live in Australia, or have severed ties with your previous country of residence if you are:

In some cases both residency and severance documentation may be needed.

3 hours ago, mcfish said:

Guys go back and read my visit to immigration post today
The new visa is just another option. It replaces nothing

Sent from my zumo using Tapatalk

If they did not retain the current option of 1 year extensions etc there would be a mass exodus. 

Neighbouring countries would be in for a bonanza.

If they did not retain the current option of 1 year extensions etc there would be a mass exodus. 
Neighbouring countries would be in for a bonanza.

Could you imagine the chaos as countless farang shut down bank accounts, pull money out of the SET,dump a zillion condos on the market ?thing is it would suck the whole of Thailand down with it and policy makers are not stupid when it comes to their own wealth

6 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Could you imagine the chaos as countless farang shut down bank accounts, pull money out of the SET,dump a zillion condos on the market ?thing is it would suck the whole of Thailand down with it and policy makers are not stupid when it comes to their own wealth

Indeed, I guess it would cause a sudden reduction in GDP of say what, about 0.0001%, although I may be off marginally in that.

The amount of money in retired farang bank accounts, value of their stock investments, value of their residences is a drop in the bucket compared to what Thais own.  There are around 65M Thais....I'd be surprised if retired farangs in Thailand reach 20K.

Now if you live in certain places like central Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, and Hua Hin sure their quite a few farangs....maybe representing a percent or two (a drop or two) of the total population in those areas.  But continue to zoom out at the rest of Thailand the number of retired farangs is far and few between.....representing a little drop in the bucket.  Heck, I live in western Bangkok and can go weeks in not seeing another farang in my area.   

Yeap, looking at it from a country-wide view retired farangs are a mere drop in the bucket.

Earn 100,000 TB per month? If retired it would be assumed one is not working. Do they mean income such as pensions and other unearned income? Also, health insurance, if one could even buy it, would be extremely expensive. Another scheme with very few qualified takers.

Interesting as I am an American and have a great health care service provider but the new Thai Govt cited requirements are the opposite of what the typical health care provider quotes their coverage.

Specifically, my health care provider cites the my co-pay rates I pay up to a maximum for catastrophic care; i.e. with my provider I would only have to pay out-of-pocket a maximum of $10K USD annually.  They, the health care provider, could feasibably pay $100K+ for catastrophic care for the members.  How will the Thai Govt interpretate the above scenario as they are either EMBASSY or Immigration officials and probably looking for a quote on what value the member is covered at.  That may be the Thai way but not for other countries health care service.

Or are they looking for the VISA petitioner to purchase health care services from Thailand/Thai Govt?

Edited by lcp0761

Re: the monetary requirements, the new Thai Govt 10-year VISA requirements states the applicant earns $100K THB per month or had $3M THB in a bank.  The $100K per month is $2900 USD per month can be retirement income.  It doesn't say the applicant had to deposit the $100K THB in a Thai bank so why go the $3M THB route? 

Are falang's retiring in Thailand on monthly retirements less than $3000 USD per month? Scary ---

I'm retiring this coming Jan 3, 2017 on  approx. $8K USD monthly and worry if that will be enough per month.

4 minutes ago, lcp0761 said:

Re: the monetary requirements, the new Thai Govt 10-year VISA requirements states the applicant earns $100K THB per month or had $3M THB in a bank.  The $100K per month is $2900 USD per month can be retirement income.  It doesn't say the applicant had to deposit the $100K THB in a Thai bank so why go the $3M THB route? 

Are falang's retiring in Thailand on monthly retirements less than $3000 USD per month? Scary ---

I'm retiring this coming Jan 3, 2017 on  approx. $8K USD monthly and worry if that will be enough per month.

3000 USD per month is most likely less than the typical retirement pension check of most of the listed nations.

You make enough to retire in Australia, New Zealand, or France. 

Edited by Jingthing

47 minutes ago, lcp0761 said:

I cant bring up tuesdays initial story, but I think I read that you must be able to show how you spent the 100,000 baht... THEY WANT YOUR MONEY.... you can't, for example, spend 50k, and then send 50k offshore, then bring it back as part of your next 100k income ( which some on a lesser income might see as an option, after first making an initial 100k declaration)

I could be wrong, and if someone knows how to navigate the forum better, it can be looked up in the earlier OP link, for verification.

this means you have to deposit it, or otherwise be able to prove having spent it via receipts, I suppose.... probably prove via receipts, as otherwise you could simply put it in the bank, then withdraw it and stick it in your house safe, vs spend it.... again.. THEY WANT YOUR MONEY

On your second point, 285k baht per month, ( at 8k USD) is a fortune, here, and I think you would be ill advised bringing that into the country. Better to put it into a singapore bank, or one of the British hidy hole banks (Channel Islands or something... proper advise from Brits would help), or reinvest in your 401k, once you have established yourself.

but... not being a financial adviser, this is just an opinion, perhaps I'll informed, and / or perhaps you want to live like a king... which is all good too, if you can afford it... I'm sure you've earned the benefit, so enjoy it how you will

cheers?

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends if you love your family or yourself more.

Even if they gave everything till bankruptcy it might still not be enough, so would you expect them to sell everything to save you?

The scheme was perfectly viable and was "SOLD" to Foreigners by the Legitimately elected Thai Government.

I fail to see what you're flapping your gums about? 

26 minutes ago, jim cortesos said:

Does this mean medical insurance to cover you inside Thailand? I have medical insurance that covers me in home country only.Thailand does not accept my insurance which is medi-care.

Definitely inside Thailand.... it will help with thailands plan to make the country a medical tourism destination... plus prevent farang from getting free treatment

that said ( comment re free treatment) I doubt that many farang actually do get away with free treatment... certainly some will, but overall, not many I think.