Travel Insurance

MissIndy

Try

Tidtarin Insurance Consultant
67/3 Sripoom Rd.,T.Sripoom, A.Muang, Chaing Mai 50200
DELETED

Map Here

Khun Ake handles most of my insurance, speaks English and is always helpful and competitive.  If you have an address in your home country you may find that buying there will give you better cover as all insurance in Thailand tends to be mean on the benefits (eg: much 1st Class car insurance only allows 1 million baht for personal injury which is nowhere near adequate unless you have additional health cover).  Unlike most local companies they respond promptly to emails and you can arrange cover online.  

3 hours ago, Greenside said:

Try

Tidtarin Insurance Consultant
67/3 Sripoom Rd.,T.Sripoom, A.Muang, Chaing Mai 50200
DELETED

Map Here

Khun Ake handles most of my insurance, speaks English and is always helpful and competitive.  If you have an address in your home country you may find that buying there will give you better cover as all insurance in Thailand tends to be mean on the benefits (eg: much 1st Class car insurance only allows 1 million baht for personal injury which is nowhere near adequate unless you have additional health cover).  Unlike most local companies they respond promptly to emails and you can arrange cover online.  

But only valid from your home country if you are resident in your home country. Watch out sometimes  limited to 30 day stays away and other exclusions 

Thanks all.

I have emailed your recommendations and wait to see what response I get.

"Annual travel Insurance" - travel Insurance that is valid for a year covering several trips.

NB. Definitely only valid from your country of residence, and there is usually a limit on the number of trips, and length of stay.

Trisha

I do not know where you are from, but in Canada the law states that you must spend the majority of your time in Canada. Which is a minimum of 183 days a year. The travel insurance piggy backs off your provincial/territorial health care. May be a wise to see if this is so where you are from. As an aside ... Bupa Thailand will insure me for 5 million baht - premium all inclusive, valid world wide except for the USA - for about 40,000 baht. Quote this spring.

I'm from the U.K. 

I have had annual worldwide travel Insurance for years, but can't renew the policy this year as the policy holder must reside in Europe. The cost was less than £100 - approx 4400 baht at current exchange rates.

Citezenship/residency plays a big role....but for Americans Tokio Marine and IMGGLOBAL are both A/A+ rated...I know IMG offer a multi=trip plan.  The one Blue Cross offers in my home state requires you to purchase before you leave...Also, once you are above 70, it is much more expensive and instead of a million usd in coverage it is more like 50K...Tokio Marine has a long distance collect number you can call and put the people at RAM on the line with them to arrange direct payment..I've used it twice there.

If someone was planning on spending 6 months in England and utilizing their free health insurance coverage there and then living in Thailand for 6 months and is planning to purchase trip/travel insurance for those 6 months in Thailand, is that practical? I know very little about trip/travel insurance and am wondering how trip/travel insurance works? Is their typically a limit as to how long trip/travel insurance can be used in a country? If someone has pre-existing health problems, can that prevent you from purchasing trip/travel insurance, and if not, would it increase your premiums dramatically? When utilizing trip/travel insurance, do the premiums increase signicantly with age as they do with regular health insurance policies? Also, after a certain age do the maximum coverage amounts decrease substantially? Also, if in fact Thailand does enact mandatory health insurance coverage for retirement visas going forward, would a trip/travel insurance policy fulfill that requirement for your stay in Thailand on your retirement visa?

5 hours ago, watgate said:

If someone was planning on spending 6 months in England and utilizing their free health insurance coverage there and then living in Thailand for 6 months and is planning to purchase trip/travel insurance for those 6 months in Thailand, is that practical? I know very little about trip/travel insurance and am wondering how trip/travel insurance works? Is their typically a limit as to how long trip/travel insurance can be used in a country? If someone has pre-existing health problems, can that prevent you from purchasing trip/travel insurance, and if not, would it increase your premiums dramatically? When utilizing trip/travel insurance, do the premiums increase signicantly with age as they do with regular health insurance policies? Also, after a certain age do the maximum coverage amounts decrease substantially? Also, if in fact Thailand does enact mandatory health insurance coverage for retirement visas going forward, would a trip/travel insurance policy fulfill that requirement for your stay in Thailand on your retirement visa?

A lot of questions in there watgate. If you stay in your home country for 6 months then have 6 months here it is wise to buy a 6 months travel insurance policy. It will meet Thai govt requirements if this ever happens because normally you will have millions of pounds of cover.  When you get to certain age say 65 or 70 the premium may double. Hit 75 it may triple? Or none will be offered. Pre existing medical conditions are excluded for any age group until you declare them and then the insurer may say no problem , or pay an extra premium , or offer no cover at all, or extra premium plus a huge excess. When the day comes where no insurance can be obtained or the price is huge it's personal choice whether you visit Thailand. Can you accept dying in Thailand or would you prefer lengthy hospital treatment in your home country, keeping you alive longer in who knows what state before you take your last breath? 

Just maybe, these multi-national companies can give you a better explanation than those of us simply trying to point people in the right direction.  Like I told a guy earlier tonight, check it out, let me know if you find something better...all I can go by is ratings and experience...and where I would want to be in civil court.  You try to help some people, and all of a sudden they think they have some one who will hold their hand; ain't gonna happen.

One place that does a lot of insurance business among the longer-term travelers is World Nomads. You can do everything online, and the prices seem reasonable for including full medical, trip arrangements-related, and some other kinds of coverage.

https://www.worldnomads.com/

They have a good website, easy to get an online quote based on your age and travel destinations, see exactly what the terms of their coverage are, etc etc. And I believe they cover trips certainly up to at least 6 months in duration.

Hmmm...  I just went to the website, entered that I was an UK resident, and planned a trip to Thailand, and it spit out a quote for their insurance.

Likewise, I first entered that I was a U.S. resident, and planned a trip to Thailand, and it likewise spit out a quote for their insurance.

8 hours ago, MissIndy said:

I tried to get a quote on the World .Nomads site and got a message "sorry, we don't provide cover in Thailand"....

I have no replies to my requests for a quote from the other recommended companies.

Trisha

I got a 6 month quote for Thailand on the World Nomad site putting residency as USA or UK . You can click on "permanent resident " for the definition. 

• Are a citizen or a legal, permanent resident
  • Have access to long term medical care through a national health insurance scheme and/or private health insurance (not including reciprocal health agreements)
  • Will be repatriated to for ongoing medical care if you're unable to continue your trip
  • Have unrestricted, unconditional right of entry
  • Have a residential address 

I would assume I am a resident of Thailand but Thailand only grants me an extension of stay based on marriage. I am not a citizen or legal permanent resident. I don't get unrestricted unconditional right of entry? 

The fact that Thailand never legally accepts you as a resident, almost nobody gets permanent resident status or unrestricted unconditional right of entry may mean its ok to put your original home country?  It's worth verifying with World Nomads before buying a policy. 

It is a travel insurance though not health insurance. You are supposed to be on a trip. Putting in Thailand as residency and a 1 month visit to China it quotes no problem . Says valid worldwide excluding Thailand and the USA.

2 hours ago, stament said:

Onky problem the OP isnt a UK resident or was the quote for you TGJB? ?

No, I was basing that on what I thought she had previously posted about having come originally from the U.K.  But I guess she also indicated she's living at present in Thailand? But I'm not sure what country she listed herself as being a resident of when she used the Nomads site.

"I'm from the U.K. 

I have had annual worldwide travel Insurance for years, but can't renew the policy this year as the policy holder must reside in Europe."

The prior poster above has addressed the issue of just how Nomads defines "residency," and it seems there's some flexibility there. Especially since she's not a Thai citizen, has no permanent resident status, and I believe Nomads also used some language about the place where one wishes to be repatriated to in the event that were to become necessary.

BTW, if we were talking about a regular Thai citizen or a foreigner who wanted to consider themselves as a Thai resident, there are travel insurance packages available to purchase. I shopped just recently considering myself as a Thai resident, and got quotes for a trip to the U.S. from World Nomads, Pacific Cross Insurance and AXA, the latter two thru my Thai insurance broker. Very easy to do and no problem. In the end, I purchased a World Nomads policy online.

Bottom line: When I use the Nomads website, it worked for me when I entered myself as a UK resident seeking cover for a Thailand trip (trying to match what I thought the OP was seeking). It also worked for me when I entered as a Thai resident seeking cover for a U.S. trip (my own situation).

17 minutes ago, HullyGully said:

My wife and I are both British, aged 66 and 48

We have multi-trip annual insurance with BUPA, Denmark

Our address is Thailand, and it also covers any visits we may make to the UK

Does that cover you when you are in Thailand? (since you would not be on a trip here at home)

17 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Does that cover you when you are in Thailand? (since you would not be on a trip here at home)

BUPA Denmark is the actual insurer we received through World Nomads when we bought our travel insurance from Thailand for a planned trip to the U.S.

The policy specifically excludes use in our home country (Thailand) but covers everywhere else worldwide.

Archived