Bad Romance: Love scam gang arrested

snoop1130

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Do you really think that romance comes without a price. As I look back each romantic encounter had a cost both financial and mental. If I had not fallen in love so many times over the years I would now be a millionaire but then what does a million bucks buy you anymore??

A million bucks buys you a secured old age in Thailand...

The selfsame scam was tried on a friend of my wife. She is a 30 something, plump, not unattractive thai woman with a 6 year old child, desperately looking for foreign support after her thai husband (as usual) did a runner. She does not speak a word of english, but her sister does (a little), and they have good old google translate on their side. Enter mr. John Atta, retired New York fireman of irish extraction, currently living in London. Mutual love on first sight, of course. Let the games begin! Beautiful pictures were sent, showing a wel-preserved American from obvious irish extraction, showing by the red hair, and his former family against a backdrop of New York. She on her turn, sent some loving pictures of herself, and her darling daughter against the backdrop of a Thai watt, looking amazingly more attractive then I normally take her for.

To cut a long story short,  Eternal love was expressed by the retiree, he wanted her to open a shop, buy land, look around for a house, make down payments on everything in order for them to start the good live asap. So, he was due to arrive the next week, but was unavoidably detained in England due to the elections in the USA(?). Sending some suitcases ahead was the wise thing to do. He sent pictures, of  coffers filled with laptops, gold bars, cash, expensive perfumes and the like, all carefully shrink wrapped  and shipped to her address (which she, foolishly, provided along with her telephone number).

So she came over to our house, proudly showing the complete whatsapp conversation and pictures to us. I walked trough it. Atta, an Irish name? Googled the guy, non-existent. Also, the language was off. A lot of my dear's , and at one time a reference to a bonnet. Rather strange for an american.

So I told her it had all the hallmarks of a scam, and gave her my reasons. The thai lady was so desperate that she simply refused to believe me, even when I predicted that a telephone call, or an email would come stating that fees would have to be paid to immigration. Standard scam. And sure enough, te call came, 15,000 baht was asked, her soon to be husband -amazingly!- came up with the account it had to be put in (he was " informed by thai immigration"). She simply did not have the money, and apped accordingly. We are talking here about a woman who sells papaya pok-pok out of a sidecar, barely scraping by for god's sake.

The man, of course, kept insisting - can you borrow the money, I'll be there next week, etc, pushing and pushing.

She came to our house in tears, and I apped the guy in proper english to die, and burn in hell as he should being the <deleted> nigerian scum that he is.

Predator-low lives, people without a concience. There are too many of them, taking advantage of desperate people, looking for a better live.

And before you ask: I have no opinion on Thai bar-ladies.

10 hours ago, itsuptome said:

I do wonder how the masses of Nigerian drug dealers and prostitutes on lower Sukhumvit go unchecked. There are more of them every year. There was a temporary purge earlier this year but there are more of them than ever now.

It's not as if the BIB are opposed to racial profiling, or sticklers for due process. I'm sure they could end this if they wanted to.

i would say BIB is actually intimidated by the Africans in general. not all in lower Sukhumvit are Nigerians, Kenyans and Ghanas are all there together. The size and sheer look at them scare average 5'5" Thai cop. Where I'm from, we round them up and beat the crap out of them before deportation, or during whichever is easier.

1 hour ago, sioux2012 said:

i would say BIB is actually intimidated by the Africans in general. not all in lower Sukhumvit are Nigerians, Kenyans and Ghanas are all there together. The size and sheer look at them scare average 5'5" Thai cop. Where I'm from, we round them up and beat the crap out of them before deportation, or during whichever is easier.

Two, three bullets in the chest would settle any dispute that 5'.5" cop would have with a 6'.6" African.  But I think you are right - these jokers are menacing, street strutting around with a cell phone in each hand, getting tips where the BIB are and where the 'marks' are.........I stopped gig to Soi 11 because of this, now the "mobile VW bars" are gone, I started coming back.

On 11/26/2016 at 0:46 PM, itsuptome said:

I do wonder how the masses of Nigerian drug dealers and prostitutes on lower Sukhumvit go unchecked. There are more of them every year. There was a temporary purge earlier this year but there are more of them than ever now.

It's not as if the BIB are opposed to racial profiling, or sticklers for due process. I'm sure they could end this if they wanted to.

Do not pick the fruit until it is ripe. 

Often people will believe in someone simply because they want it to be true. Kind of like a cushty afterlife or heaven, etc. 

I believe this happened on a mass scale recently somewhere in North America.

Trump d'III

On 25/11/2016 at 6:03 PM, sniffdog said:

Stolen? Like in a bank robbery? I thought all money was provided voluntarily. Might be the same group who targeted my ex gf who went to the airport to meet her suitor but instead came home empty handed. Got a text in the morning that he was arrested in jail in Malaysia because he had too much money in his possession. If she could be so nice to transfer 20,000 baht. Their facebook acccount was setup as it was from an Englishman wanting to open a hotel in Thailand.

Similar story:

Company I was working for had a female Thai staff member who was 'befriended' via Skype by a 'Dutch' guy who instantly offered her a job in Holland looking after his kids. He was going to send her the money for a visa application. I got involved when she told me he'd sent cash via a 'courier service' but it had been intercepted in Malaysia for being over the limit for bringing into the country. If she could send 20,000 Baht to pay the 'fine' the cash would be released. Had to sent it to Malaysia by Moneygram to a Arabic name.

She was all set to send it. I told her it was a scam and she'd be wasting her money.

Recent years you see all new inventions, it appears people are getting more clever, young kids know how to use complicated electronic stuffs etc., but then, you see all the fools sending lots and lots of money to people they never met. It just puzzles me, are people getting more clever or more stupid? Both at the same time ?