Brown Pickling Vinegar

Pure malt vinegar is way too strong to pickle IMO which is likely why it is unavailable by the gallon. I mix of 50% (malt and white) and topped up with water should be more than enough though you would want to reduce the malt content if you are using a pickling spice mix.

SAM_3332.JPG

Thanks to all, but i was asking where i can get it, not how to use it.

I have abandoned the use of Brown Malt Vinegar and settled with Brown Wine Vinegar which tastes about the same. Got it from Gai's in Walking St., Maenam

For the person who says that Pure Malt Vinegar is too strong, both my mother and grandmother used nothing else and every year their pantries were always full of delicious pickles of just about everything. But of course they lived in rural England in an era when you just made it yourself rather than go buy it at the supermarket, which was not available in any case.

Yes White is ok, but not my preference thanks.

• 3 months later...
On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:30 PM, oldsailor35 said:

Thanks to all, but i was asking where i can get it, not how to use it.

I have abandoned the use of Brown Malt Vinegar and settled with Brown Wine Vinegar which tastes about the same. Got it from Gai's in Walking St., Maenam

For the person who says that Pure Malt Vinegar is too strong, both my mother and grandmother used nothing else and every year their pantries were always full of delicious pickles of just about everything. But of course they lived in rural England in an era when you just made it yourself rather than go buy it at the supermarket, which was not available in any case.

Yes White is ok, but not my preference thanks.

Hi oldsailor35,

You can get Cornwell's malt vinegar from Makro Lamai in the 'farang' section. 2 Litres for 199THB. I was there today and only about 7 bottles left.

Now I'm looking for some strong small onions if you can help with that!

Kind regards,

TheLobster

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:16 PM, TheLobster said:

I've looked in Makro, Tesco and Big C previously but never found any only malt vinegar in small bottles which would be too expensive to use for pickling. Maybe Tops, I haven't looked there but I would not get my hopes up.

Not in Samui but Makro near where I live I buy malt vinegar in 4 litre bottles, Australian. Maybe worth asking in case they were just out of stock when you went.

Small yellow string bags containing around 500g-1kilo of small onions were in in Big C this afternoon towards the rear of the main veg section next to the carrots. I could not find a price on them.

They looked to me like they'd do the job :)

HTH

On 10/03/2017 at 9:35 PM, TheLobster said:

Hi oldsailor35,

You can get Cornwell's malt vinegar from Makro Lamai in the 'farang' section. 2 Litres for 199THB. I was there today and only about 7 bottles left.

Kind regards,

TheLobster

I got some red onions off the back of a truck today... 1 kg 50 baht!

Also Gai Pharmacy Soi 4 Maenam, has Dark Wine Vinegar... in one litre bottles, 145 baht... better hurry on 2 bottles left!!!

jkv2NMjenPB3LagcNSKXSIHxDVgYH0t5GKTcZ77u

WG7bMAAk3dX_cmAF0PblWD05BwhlREcxxTTMxRvj

A birdy AKA the OP tells me this vinegar works fine!

I just realized I put just about all my saved empty larger jars in the recycling last week...:ohmy: All sitting around for months... it's always the same when you need something! :whistling:

I've not started to peel the onions yet ... I 'm in a right pickle! !!!

There are still some 2L bottles left in Makro Lamai @ 199THB.

Bought the small onions from Big C as mentioned by evadgib (they were 45THB for a bag) and prepared mine last week, will let you know how they turn out in about a month, maybe longer.

On 3/22/2017 at 2:27 PM, TheLobster said:

There are still some 2L bottles left in Makro Lamai @ 199THB.

Bought the small onions from Big C as mentioned by evadgib (they were 45THB for a bag) and prepared mine last week, will let you know how they turn out in about a month, maybe longer.

I made  6 jars  two months ago, but they were so good that someone has eaten them all .....bugger !

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:31 AM, TheLobster said:

I want them to be as crispy as possible so just going to pour boiling water over to help remove skins then soak in salt water for 24 hours before popping in the jar with malt vinegar/spices.

About as good as it gets:

Finished Picked Onions (2).jpg

In Progress Pickled Onions (2).jpg

Pickles in Jar (2).jpg

Small Onions Big C.jpg

Soak in Salt Water Overnight (2).jpg

16 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I haven't got the spices right but other than that mine are ok too :)

I don't think you need to worry too much about that. I only put Bay leaves and Peppercorns in. The Malt Vinegar does the rest. They are strong, the way I like them but you could always use more white vinegar if you prefer.

I had some the other night with vintage cheddar and they were so good together ............ I almost had an orgasm. 555

There are 3 bottles of the 2L bottle of Malt Vinegar left at Makro Lamai (I bought another one). The onions you recommended at Big C are perfect and of excellent quality - thank you.

44 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I overdid the chilies in my first lot and blew my socks off :shock1:

e112341bc7b5ba471da9639a501ca0a6.jpg

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Best laugh  of the day! :clap2:

Slowly getting jars built up again  to do mine ... 

I did pickled Beetroot a year or two back,  they are easy to do too... anyone else ever tried, very simple just bowl beets and put in Vinegar (haf and haf malt and regular vinegar)  dice , slice  what suits your fancy! 

Makro is usually only place to find beetroot. 

I did pickled Beetroot a year or two back,  they are easy to do too... anyone else ever tried, very simple just bowl beets and put in Vinegar (haf and haf malt and regular vinegar)  dice , slice  what suits your fancy

I also add some sugar.

I've been adding brown sugar.

I want to make pickled cabbage, pickled eggs and pickled beetroot (but baby ones). Do I need to do anything different other than chop the cabbage, boil & shell the eggs and peel the beetroot?

Also is everyone storing their jars in the fridge or is in the cupboard okay?

Archived