Brown Pickling Vinegar

7 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

For Beetroot, boil them first then you can peel them with your hands.

Then dice them, mix with half mayonnaise and half sour cream for Scandinavian beetroot salad.

Perfect with Swedish meatballs.

12 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Has anyone pickled green unripe mangos?

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

Are those the small Mangoes that the Thai's just let drop and rot? .... or the Big ones?

Recipe ?  Mr Ron :tongue:

I see the locals dip unripe sliced mangoes in some concoction of fish sauce and god knows what else. ...:bah:... A bit like Marmite or Vegemite to those not brought up on it!

On 3/22/2017 at 0:58 PM, PoorSucker said:

In Scandinavia we use vinegar 12%, has anyone seen this one?

On 11/27/2016 at 1:45 PM, PoorSucker said:
  • Similar request,  in Sweden we  use  24% vinegar, has anyone spotted that...?

Years ago, my Thai mother-in-law had a small bottle of what she called Houa Nam Som.  I understood it to be very strong vinegar/acetic acid.  You might ask around.

The Cromwell's vinegar I posted a picture of previously is very strong not sure if it is 24% but certainly higher than 12%. Thai's don't like strong vinegar generally. I would suspect a Houa Nam Som would also contain Chillies and/or Fish Sauce.

Are those the small Mangoes that the Thai's just let drop and rot? .... or the Big ones?
Recipe ?  Mr Ron :tongue:
I see the locals dip unripe sliced mangoes in some concoction of fish sauce and god knows what else. ...:bah:... A bit like Marmite or Vegemite to those not brought up on it!

They can be used and are quite nice when ripe but fiddly with not a lot of flesh. There is a massive tree in the wat and when fruiting there will always be someone picking them up.
I've got two growing that I started with seeds from last years crop.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:18 AM, samuijimmy said:

I had an early lunch.... they are nice and crunchy and did not blow my socks off!  :smile:

That's what I was surprised about, not having tried to pickle onions before, how crunchy they were.

The cheese I like is Mainland Vintage Cheddar (Aged 24 Months) which is widely available on Samui is http://www.mainland.com.au/cheese-product/vintage-cheddar-cheese/ It is in a yellow pack here and is around 180THB for 250g:

592049d2ebaef_Vintage500g.png.f457e5bf8c8965ccb2a148fb1d9aba64.png

There is also a Mainland Epicure which is 36 months old available here that is possibly better/stronger (180THB for 200g pack). I haven't tried it because the Vintage has a really nice rich and creamy taste and you get 50g more for around the same price.

9 hours ago, evadgib said:

...my socks landed in Jim's garden!

I'll have another go this week if I can find some of that malt vinegar...

:biggrin:  was wondering what the smell  was in the garden ...:tongue::whistling:

Malt vinegar is usually everywhere, Big C, Tesco, Makro etc.

I used a mix of White, Apple cider and Malt,  vinegars, you sort of have to go by taste when mixing.... you don't need a lot of some..

My first jar down, three more to go! 

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, evadgib said:

...my socks landed in Jim's garden!

I'll have another go this week if I can find some of that malt vinegar...

I still recommend the Cornwell's in Makro Lamai and they have restocked (199THB for 2 Litres). It is strong but dilute with white vinegar if you need to. They also have big bottles of Cornwell's Cider Vinegar. I got some beetroot from there today so will be pickling beetroot tomorrow, unfortunately not baby beets but beggars cannot be choosers in Thailand!

My next project is going to be more adventurous - Branston pickle.

10 hours ago, TheLobster said:

I still recommend the Cornwell's in Makro Lamai and they have restocked (199THB for 2 Litres). It is strong but dilute with white vinegar if you need to. They also have big bottles of Cornwell's Cider Vinegar. I got some beetroot from there today so will be pickling beetroot tomorrow, unfortunately not baby beets but beggars cannot be choosers in Thailand!

My next project is going to be more adventurous - Branston pickle.

If it works could you please post the recipe?

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:49 AM, billd766 said:

If it works could you please post the recipe?

I will do.

The beetroot from Makro Lamai wasn't great when I opened the bag, I've salvaged about half of it. Anyone know if it is sold anywhere else? otherwise I'll have to go back and hope for better next time.

On 20/04/2017 at 8:13 AM, Ron19 said:

They can be used and are quite nice when ripe but fiddly with not a lot of flesh. There is a massive tree in the wat and when fruiting there will always be someone picking them up.
I've got two growing that I started with seeds from last years crop.

Last year i picked up a couple of buckets full, washed and boiled them , then scraped out the flesh into a bowl of pulp, put into jars and into the fridge. A couple of spoons full on the corn flakes ........delicious, and they lasted for ages in the fridge.

On 19/04/2017 at 1:13 AM, TheLobster said:

I've been adding brown sugar.

I want to make pickled cabbage, pickled eggs and pickled beetroot (but baby ones). Do I need to do anything different other than chop the cabbage, boil & shell the eggs and peel the beetroot?

Also is everyone storing their jars in the fridge or is in the cupboard okay?

No need to put in fridge, they are pickles!

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, oldsailor35 said:

No need to put in fridge, they are pickles!

I think so as well but haven't gone that way so far. I think it will be okay until they are opened.

Branston pickle project is on hold as I have just bought a jar for 99THB in BigC 

If anyone wants to make mint sauce, with real  spearmint....  have a pile of it growing in the garden... (not the crappy "Thai flavored" mint) :bah:

Free for pickup... just PM me! (Bang Por area.)

I  can give roots to grow yourself!

Archived