Yamaha Aerox 155cc Launch

freedomnow

10 hours ago, benzina said:

I'll only use recommended Yamalube. I've done only 300kms since new (2 months old).

I'll be taking it to the dealers for an oil change this week, and first service check.

That's just way too early for the first service, whichever you look at it... !

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

That's just way too early for the first service, whichever you look at it... !

Yes i know, but mine is under special circumstances... Its a private import which had to go through some minor testing in order for it to be registered, and this testing was done about 5 months ago, so i'm starting to worry about the time that has lapsed, so a simple oil change is nothing for some peace of mind.

On 11/25/2019 at 5:46 AM, Agusts said:

That's just way too early for the first service, whichever you look at it...

Not really i always change fluids under 500km on a new vehicle, all those new internal parts will shave some metal settling in even if microscopic size. Oil is too cheap to not do it for peace of mind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ireckonso said:

Not really i always change fluids under 500km on a new vehicle, all those new internal parts will shave some metal settling in even if microscopic size. Oil is too cheap to not do it for peace of mind.

Look at it another way, the shaved parts you are after still not all separated and have come loose in your oil to change at 500km, too early, like changing the nappy before the baby <deleted> in it...!!! lol

Listen to the manufacturers who have checked the oil after various km in their tests and say change first oil at 1000km...

Of course you can change after 500km and another after 1000km, or maybe, do it every 100km, if you're really worried... ! It's your money after all...!

Also by fluids,  do you mean all fluids, break fluid, cooling fluid, hydraulics.... How about windscreen washers in cars, a lot of microscopic bits in that one...!? 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Agusts said:

Look at it another way, the shaved parts you are after still not all separated and have come loose in your oil to change at 500km, too early, like changing the nappy before the baby <deleted> in it...!!! lol

Listen to the manufacturers who have checked the oil after various km in their tests and say change first oil at 1000km...

Of course you can change after 500km and another after 1000km, or maybe, do it every 100km, if you're really worried... ! It's your money after all...!

Also by fluids,  do you mean all fluids, break fluid, cooling fluid, hydraulics.... How about windscreen washers in cars, a lot of microscopic bits in that one...!? 

It also says "or 1 month" (whichever comes first) for a reason. The longer these particles spend time in the oil, the more chance of contamination. 

And then from there after, it continues to give a service KMs or time, whichever comes first, for a reason.....oil properties change over time. 

And this time part of the equation is particularly more critical when the engine is bedding in and new. 

Being vigilant with oil changes on your motor is perhaps the single most important thing you can do for your engines longevity and reliability.

Edited by benzina
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, benzina said:

It also says "or 1 month" (whichever comes first) for a reason. The longer these particles spend time in the oil, the more chance of contamination. 

And then from there after, it continues to give a service KMs or time, whichever comes first, for a reason.....oil properties change over time. 

And this time part of the equation is particularly more critical when the engine is bedding in and new. 

Being vigilant with oil changes on your motor is perhaps the single most important thing you can do for your engines longevity and reliability.

This is the first time I heard about a manufacturer recommending oil change for a new bike after 1 month... ! I just checked the manual for my current bike and the one I had before online, no mention of it whatsoever,  but if yours says that good luck...

Found this on-line manual for the Aerox155. It says 1000 or two months, but in all honesty I'd prefer to go with the milage than the months, what would be the point in changing the oil that hasn't done any milage, it would be not run in.

Screenshot_2019-12-01-07-10-51-446.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Agusts said:

This is the first time I heard about a manufacturer recommending oil change for a new bike after 1 month... ! I just checked the manual for my current bike and the one I had before online, no mention of it whatsoever,  but if yours says that good luck...

Malaysian Owners Manual NVX155 (AEROX 155)

Oh yes, mine says exactly that....

Periodic Maintenance and adjustment.

ODOMETER READING (Whichever comes first)

- 1000kms or 1 month

- 4000kms or 4 months

- 7000kms or 7 months

- 10000kms or 10 months

- 13000kms or 13 months

- ANNUAL CHECK

Edited by benzina
  • Like 2

I just checked manual for Honda Click and Honda Forza - one air and one liquid cooled (I had Suzuki before and remembered that too). None has any mention of time limit for oil change, only km, so this must be a Yamaha Aerox thing, or maybe all Yamahas...! ?

First oils change is a diffetent thing, but subsequent oil changes could also depend on type of oil, a 100% synthetic oil happily lasts for 1 year, some cheap mineral Thai oil might not, so that's also important...

Maybe Yamaha uses oil type that is time sensitive...! ? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The AEROX 155 uses 5W globes for the auxiliary park lights and 10W globes for the amber turn signals.
I'm thinking of swapping these out for LED's.
Does anyone know the correct LED type for these?

From what i gather.....
Auxiliary lights - T10 (12V) 6000K LED
Turn signal lights - ?

I would use the brand OSRAM, so if anyone can confirm if the auxiliary light type mentioned above is correct, and also provide the type i need for the turn signals (AMBER), that will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by benzina

On 12/1/2019 at 5:21 PM, Agusts said:

I just checked manual for Honda Click and Honda Forza - one air and one liquid cooled (I had Suzuki before and remembered that too). None has any mention of time limit for oil change, only km, so this must be a Yamaha Aerox thing, or maybe all Yamahas...! ?

First oils change is a diffetent thing, but subsequent oil changes could also depend on type of oil, a 100% synthetic oil happily lasts for 1 year, some cheap mineral Thai oil might not, so that's also important...

Maybe Yamaha uses oil type that is time sensitive...! ? 

Hi.

All oil is time sensitive. 1 year max for ANY type of oil.

This because it absorbs water vapour from the atmosphere as well as contaminants from combustion. The additives can only carry the load for a limited time.

With the low cost of oil changes in Thailand why would anyone quibble?

My Aerox costs me 250 baht every 2000 kms.

Engine oil, gearbox oil and labour included at my local Yamaha dealer. It's a nothing cost for great service.

I do it twice as often as required by the service manual. My choice.

• Like 1

Of course it's your choice,  good luck with that, but why or where did you get 2000km from, why not 1000, or say 500km ...!!! I mean 250b is really nothing if you think about it....

So manufacturers and engineers who do their design and tests and really care about their engines to last as long as it can know zip all, but you pick 2000km out of thin air and do a service, change gearbox oil... , and that's the way to go... ! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Aerox and Nmax have a technological rival to match them now in the 2020 Piaggio Medley 125 & 155.

See this link...... https://transitmotorcycles.piaggiogroup.co....Medley-for-2020  

Just on the engines alone, the 155 version has 12.1kw @8750rpm / 15nm @ 6500rpm
The 125 version has 11kw @9000rpm / 12nm @ 6500rpm.

They are a lot heavier though, so i think the Yamaha's would still win a drag race based on power to weight, but these Piaggio's are fully loaded with everything including ABS / Stop Start / LCD Dash etc etc. They are well engineered and high in quality too. 

You can't beat the Aerox MotoGP bike styling, but if Aprilia did a scooter like the Aerox with the Piaggio 155 engine they have (Piaggio own Aprilia), then that really would be a competitor to the mighty Aerox.

Edited by benzina
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

The new second generation 2021 Yamaha Aerox / NVX 155 has just been unveiled in Indonesia.
yamaha-aerox-155-connected-2021-00023.jpg.c68f02163faa942549367d283d1e066b.jpg
Yamaha-Aerox-NVX-VVA-Indonesia-2020-30-850x567.jpg.b7d47330290d97c44271532965c52ffd.jpg

The original...
1606127809_GDR10.jpg.0679f035e37f2ed21a88317266f4bd1a.jpg
1016838428_YamahaAEROX(NVX)155.jpg.4b60722f552f6e3e0494724f956ce14d.jpg

Interested to hear thoughts on the design changes. I personally think the first generation looks better.

The new one looks a bit fussy in the front side fender, and the headlights look a bit too big, and dare i say it, a bit honda like. The X signature panel on the side is less pronounced as an X, and its lost the big V panel on the front too.
While i still think its a good looking bike, i think the 1st generation is better looking with a cleaner, bolder, more pure Yamaha design language.

The 2021 claim a very slight increase in power and torque, but the weight has gone up too....now 125kg.

Edited by benzina
  • Like 1

Tech changes.....

Power - 1st Gen 11kw/8000rpm vs 2nd Gen  11.3kw/8000rpm

Torque - 1st Gen 13.8nm/6250rpm vs 2nd Gen 13.9nm/6500rpm

Compression Ratio - 1st Gen  10.5:1 vs 2nd Gen 11.6:1

Weight - 1st Gen 118kg vs 2nd Gen 125kg

Power to weight ratio - given the above information, the 1st Gen works out at a slight advantage.

Length - 1st Gen 1990mm vs 2nd Gen 1980mm (2nd Gen is 10mm shorter)

Width - 1st Gen 700mm vs 2nd Gen 700mm (Same)

Height - 1st Gen 1125mm vs 2nd Gen 1150mm (2nd Gen is 25mm higher). I prefer the lower.

Wheelbase - 1st Gen 1350mm vs 2nd Gen 1350mm (Same)

Ground Clearance -  1st Gen 142mm vs 2nd Gen 143mm (Lets call it the same)

Tank - 1st Gen 4.6L vs 2nd Gen 5.5L (2nd Gen increase Tank capacity by .9L) This is a good thing.

Wheel and Tyre sizes and design are the same.

Edited by benzina

Why Yamaha is calling this "Maxi" (put at top right of photo) , presumably for Maxi scooter, but no way..., same as pcx or nmax are not Maxi scooters, while Forza, Xmax or Tmax are ...!!!?

I think I take them to court over this insult...haha ...lol ????

I've been comparing and contemplating the 1st generation vs 2nd generation design. 

My conclusion is this....While the clean, bold, elegant 1st Gen was designed by Yamaha design studio in Japan (Pure Yamaha Japanese design), i suspect this second generation fussier looking follow up, looks as though they may have given the update design responsiblity over to the Yamaha South East Asian design division, of which market it is exclusively sold in. Thats what it looks like to me.

With the 1st Generation Aerox, Yamaha Japan designed an iconic sports bike that remarkably got a scooter looking as close as possible to the R1M motoGP bike.....this is what made it special.

I feel the second Generation has diluted this design formula somewhat.

Yes, it seems the designers responsible, have tried to stick with this winning formula, but i don't think they have executed it properly.  All they needed to do in my opinion, was to treat it like Porsche do with the 911.....small minor tweaks is all they needed to do, and keep it entirely clean through reduction.

Edited by benzina
  • Confused 1

Well if that's true, that is a lot of confidence indeed.  

The tech features added are all really good, i just wish they had reduced the surface and line entertainment in the design of the new one....Its why i loved the 1st gen design. 

They should have also slightly reduced the size of the headlights , not make them larger.

The red arrow in the picture points to a detail that the designers obviously found acceptable in the new 2021 model....really????? Just WOW!!! Not good, not good at all. In my opinion, its unacceptable!

The 1st Gen seen in the second picture, has the screws neatly concealed underneath the seat, clean, and just beautiful design.

Aerox 1.png

aerox 2.jpg

Edited by benzina