Yamaha Aerox 155cc Launch

freedomnow

On 9/8/2018 at 8:41 AM, properperson said:

A UK motoring show a few years back did back dino tests comparing different brands of 95 to 91 stuff....

Their conclusion was that the only significant difference came from Shell 95 V Power..

Personally i always use it - its a nat's nakka more expensive than their 91 and i like to think i get a tad more grunt,,,

I'm guessing Shell didn't run ads through the show, their marketing team had already done their job!

On 9/8/2018 at 10:52 AM, Ramdas said:

I’m quite happy using E20 petrol, I get more kms and it’s a tad quicker unlike 91 or 95 which I reckon is a complete waste of money but you know how sheeps do..??‍♂️

I have never used e20  but I have watched what the moto taxis with modern scoots fill up with and its normally budget 95 then  91 but I've yet to see them using e20 

If e20 is cheaper and ALSO gets the same or more kmpl I'm pretty sure they would be the first to capitalise on it.... 

However, in the interests of science I will run a few tanks of e20 and measure range, acceleration, top speed, kmpl  and perceived "smoothness" and if its possible to discern any benefit I will also switch to e20... ?

Will post  results after a few tanks! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2018 at 1:17 AM, Ks45672 said:

I have never used e20  but I have watched what the moto taxis with modern scoots fill up with and its normally budget 95 then  91 but I've yet to see them using e20 

If e20 is cheaper and ALSO gets the same or more kmpl I'm pretty sure they would be the first to capitalise on it.... 

However, in the interests of science I will run a few tanks of e20 and measure range, acceleration, top speed, kmpl  and perceived "smoothness" and if its possible to discern any benefit I will also switch to e20... ?

Will post  results after a few tanks! 

I wouldn’t  rely on anything that the Thais do, say or make for that matter, as I’ve previously mentioned they’re just like sheeps, simply copy what the other sheeps do but don’t know any better ????????‍♂️ It’s a small 155 engine hence to my understanding putting in anything over the 91 petrol is a complete waste of money since it not only you get less kms per tank but also it doesn’t run any better or faster ! So, I’m sticking with the E20 and if I don’t go at full speed I can get about 130kms per tank, suit yourself..

4 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

I wouldn’t  rely on anything that the Thais do, say or make for that matter, as I’ve previously mentioned they’re just like sheeps, simply copy what the other sheeps do but don’t know any better ????????‍♂️ It’s a small 155 engine hence to my understanding putting in anything over the 91 petrol is a complete waste of money since it not only you get less kms per tank but also it doesn’t run any better or faster ! So, I’m sticking with the E20 and if I don’t go at full speed I can get about 130kms per tank, suit yourself..

E20 in my Honda Forza would it be ok?, I have been putting 91 and 95 in, It is the older Forza.

4 hours ago, Ramdas said:

Why not go at full speed granny ? ???? 

53 minutes ago, Notagain said:

I dont see E20 anywhere in that list and energy density is not the same as specific energy. Use it if you want. But its a waste of money.

This is why i wrote "(and make the math for E20 yourself)" ????

The price for fuel at the gas pump is calculated by volume and not by weight, so using the energy per litre makes imho more sense than using the energy per kg.

According to the PTT website gasohol costs currently (probably without VAT) 29.58 and E20 costs 26.84 which means E20 costs about 91% of Gasohol, so with E20 you get more energy for your money and it makes sense to use it.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2018 at 9:53 PM, Ks45672 said:

Why not go at full speed granny ? ???? 

Fyi, I always go at full speed with it ( obstacles remitting on the roads ) Coming from a string of Yamaha R1s that I’ve previously owned this bike feel like I’m walking Lol

Mind you, I’ve prepped it a bit and now the single front calliper seems not powerful enough to stop it under speed. ???? and in Bkk you’re always breaking for sleeping all over the place idiots on the roads ????????‍♂️ That’s another story..

On 10/28/2018 at 5:41 PM, nev said:

E20 in my Honda Forza would it be ok?, I have been putting 91 and 95 in, It is the older Forza.

I believe the ungly Honda Forza is 300cc so I wouldn’t recommend to put in e20 in it, I would use 91 or 95 depending on your pocket money ????

1 hour ago, Ramdas said:

I believe the ungly Honda Forza is 300cc so I wouldn’t recommend to put in e20 in it, I would use 91 or 95 depending on your pocket money ????

Yes I use 91 sometimes 95, I was just wondering if I put the odd tank of E20 in would it cause any damage or cause engine pinging.

1 hour ago, Ramdas said:

Ugly thing isn't it.

9a7ae2666987f8c3234ffc9b8182230b.0.jpg

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, Madgee said:

Hi Guys,

I've just purchased a MotoGP edition 'off the shelf' at my local Yamaha dealer in the boonies.

67,500B on the road incl. of all taxes and Gov. insurance etc. + matching Yamaha XL size full face helmet.

He told me there is currently a big push with Yamaha dealers to get more Aerox models on the road by giving more incentives to buy.

Also the dealers are being told to hold stock of more models in different colours to encourage sales. Got to admit, for a smallish authorised dealer, he had about 10 in stock! (but only 1 MotoGP ….now mine!)

A present to myself for my birthday! 

which dealer please ?

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

i have purchased this genuine Yamaha Aerox tidy tail from Yamaha motor Thailand. 

Does anyone know an easier way to install this without having to take most of the rear end apart, just to lower the plastic panel underneath (see picture of one e.g. thats been fitted, this hides wires etc), in order to fit and replace with the new plastic panel and tidy tail guard?

Has anyone done this job? The instructions are in Thai which i don't understand, but looks to involve taking most of the rear end apart, so i'm hoping someone has worked out an easier way to get that under-plastic-panel off.

Any informative help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

tidy rear guard.jpg

19274908_1353818524714255_9220551191114901094_n.jpg

19113740_1353818394714268_2466007798190944696_n.jpg

Edited by benzina
  • Like 1

Thanks for confirming that papa al.

I am in Australia, where the Aerox is not available, only NMAX here. I am currently importing a new one, and am purchasing some parts i like beforehand, in order to be ready to set the bike up to my liking.  

I also have some more questions i'm curious about, and hoping good answers for...

First some facts...
As far as i know, the Aerox is available in the following countries only....

Malaysia (NVX)
Thailand (Aerox)
Indonesia (Aerox)
Vietnam (NVX)
Philippines (Aerox)

The Aerox 155 , NMAX , & YZF-R15, all share the same engine, yet power figures differ....

Aerox 155
HP 11kw @ 8000rpm
Torque 13.8nm @ 6250

NMAX 
HP 11.1kw @ 8000rpm
Torque 14.4nm @ 6000rpm

YZF-R15 
HP 14.2kw @ 10000rpm
Torque 14.7nm @ 8500rpm

Questions....

1. Why did Yamaha choose to call it the NVX in Malaysia & Vietnam, and not call it the Aerox like the other countries? (It seems to me, that Aerox would have been better, as its a legendary name for Yamaha, and suits this bike more in my opinion, even for marketing purposes)

2. Why would Yamaha not tune the Aerox up to at least the power figures of the NMAX or even up to the YZF-R15?
I understand the NVX is lighter then the NMAX, so its power to weight ratio is superior, meaning its actually faster then the NMAX, but why did they choose to not tune it to its maximum anyway (even up to YZF-R15 figures), and make it as fast as possible?

3. In what way technically, do the engines differ, in order to achieve these different levels of power output?

I look forward to some insight and answers to my questions, to help relieve my curiosity. Much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Edited by benzina

2 hours ago, benzina said:

Thanks for confirming that papa al.

I am in Australia, where the Aerox is not available, only NMAX here. I am currently importing a new one, and am purchasing some parts i like beforehand, in order to be ready to set the bike up to my liking.  

I also have some more questions i'm curious about, and hoping good answers for...

First some facts...
As far as i know, the Aerox is available in the following countries only....

Malaysia (NVX)
Thailand (Aerox)
Indonesia (Aerox)
Vietnam (NVX)
Philippines (Aerox)

The Aerox 155 , NMAX , & YZF-R15, all share the same engine, yet power figures differ....

Aerox 155
HP 11kw @ 8000rpm
Torque 13.8nm @ 6250

NMAX 
HP 11.1kw @ 8000rpm
Torque 14.4nm @ 6000rpm

YZF-R15 
HP 14.2kw @ 10000rpm
Torque 14.7nm @ 8500rpm

Questions....

1. Why did Yamaha choose to call it the NVX in Malaysia & Vietnam, and not call it the Aerox like the other countries? (It seems to me, that Aerox would have been better, as its a legendary name for Yamaha, and suits this bike more in my opinion, even for marketing purposes)

2. Why would Yamaha not tune the Aerox up to at least the power figures of the NMAX or even up to the YZF-R15?
I understand the NVX is lighter then the NMAX, so its power to weight ratio is superior, meaning its actually faster then the NMAX, but why did they choose to not tune it to its maximum anyway (even up to YZF-R15 figures), and make it as fast as possible?

3. In what way technically, do the engines differ, in order to achieve these different levels of power output?

I look forward to some insight and answers to my questions, to help relieve my curiosity. Much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Probably don't want it to be faster than the R-15 in case it affects sales

It's already better than the nmax i think due to the weight reduction so maybe they want it exactly where it is in the lineup

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, benzina said:

It would be interesting to see if anyone has gone to the trouble of tweaking their Aerox to be the same torque & power as the R-15, even right down to the same exhaust, in order to get exactly the same sound.

I’ve had my Aerox modified a little and replaced the plastic tires but I still have the original exhaust pipe, I’m tempted to change it too ????

Mind you, even standard I was smoking everyone out on the roads, even if they’ve got a faster bike/scooter but they’re dangeroulsy hopeless at riding it like everything with an engine, simply useless and just like an accident waiting to happen at any given moment ????????‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, benzina said:

Anyone got any theory or knowledge as to why Yamaha Malaysia & Vietnam chose to call it "NVX" over "Aerox"?

Surely Yamaha's already iconic "Aerox" name would have been better. 

Maybe already a brand name or trademark in those countries.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:05 PM, Peterw42 said:

Maybe already a brand name or trademark in those countries.

Sounds logical.

Has anyone anywhere up'd there power & torque to the YZF-R15 level? Same engine,

but Power 14.2kw / Torque 14.7nm....Now that would be interesting.

Edited by benzina

On 10/28/2018 at 11:51 AM, anon2736434 said:

ou can use it to feel more green yes until you realize the corn or whatever used to produce that alcohol is damaging the environment too.

Don't mention the "sludge" it leaves in tank and carb :wink:

On 2/15/2019 at 4:39 PM, benzina said:

Has anyone anywhere up'd there power & torque to the YZF-R15 level? Same engine,

but Power 14.2kw / Torque 14.7nm....Now that would be interesting.

Then many parts would need to be stronger = more expensive.

Way more stress on the whole drivetrain, especially the belt. The engine would require more cooling. The bike would go faster, thus requiring a stiffer frame and better breaks. Probably many other things about which i didn't even think yet.

So even if somebody managed to flash the ecu do get this power / rpm out of it, various parts of the bike would probably start to fail soon

Edited by jackdd