Is it Thai etiquette for the farang to pay for everyones dinner?

cheapskatesam

53 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

Yes it's certainly in accordance to Thai etiquette to pay for everyone else's (Thais) dinner. It's also a custom to tip at least 30% in such situations.

Breach of etiquette is regarded as extremely rude by said Thais.

So it's a question of which is more important to the Farang. i.e. Being taken for a fool or being considered rude?

I'd go for being rude and then wiping them all as "companions".

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

This clown paid for everyone again .. 

I had to puke after one minute and stop watching this crap. It's actually not really an advertisement for Australians.

Filming his chick with a digg for so long gave me the rest. I'm out. 

52 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

Are you on Haldol or are you always like that?

Nope, just my 25 years experience dating several hundred Thai women over the years.

Some will invite you and they will pay while normally if you invite them for dinner then they are thinking and or expecting you to pay while they commonly bring along a friend on a first date as they will tell you bringing along a friend, as a chaperone of sorts, is Thai style.

I recall that when I did not speak Thai then that happened more often.......but when I learned to speak Thai then it happened less

Meantime, If I wanted to get the know the girl I would not ask her out for dinner rather just ask to meet her and suggest meeting her for coffee and if she showed up with 2 or 3 friends I would say let's go to a coffee shop and talk ..but if they all wanted to go eat then you can be 90 percent assured that they think you will be paying for the whole meal.

If you want to go eat with them and find out then you can go and commonly you will pay for everyone's meal while sometimes they will share the bill...but usually ...they wait for you to pay the bill for everyone.

When that happens all too often you will be thinking of a way to avoid that situation as you did not ask the girl out to end up eating with 3 or 4 or more people coming along while they size you up and get a free meal.

The meal is usually not that expensive but it does tell you something about the girl and how she thinks about you.

Naturally if she shows up alone that would be better but still the first date does not have to be at a restaurant  with 2 or 3 or 4 or more friends that she invited along making things somewhat awkward and somewhat uncomfortable when the bill comes and it is you that ends up paying for it.

Or you can make a fuss about it and tell everyone they pay their own meal and then it gets all the more awkward and uncomfortable ........so the first date can be arranged at a coffee shop not a restaurant.

But you do it your way ..what ever that way is

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Nope, just my 25 years experience dating several hundred Thai women over the years.
Some will invite you and they will pay while normally if you invite them for dinner then they are thinking and or expecting you to pay while they commonly bring along a friend on a first date as they will tell you bringing along a friend, as a chaperone of sorts, is Thai style.
I recall that when I did not speak Thai then that happened more often.......but when I learned to speak Thai then it happened less
Meantime, If I wanted to get the know the girl I would not ask her out for dinner rather just ask to meet her and suggest meeting her for coffee and if she showed up with 2 or 3 friends I would say let's go to a coffee shop and talk ..but if they all wanted to go eat then you can be 90 percent assured that they think you will be paying for the whole meal.
If you want to go eat with them and find out then you can go and commonly you will pay for everyone's meal while sometimes they will share the bill...but usually ...they wait for you to pay the bill for everyone.
When that happens all too often you will be thinking of a way to avoid that situation as you did not ask the girl out to end up eating with 3 or 4 or more people coming along while they size you up and get a free meal.
The meal is usually not that expensive but it does tell you something about the girl and how she thinks about you.
Naturally if she shows up alone that would be better but still the first date does not have to be at a restaurant  with 2 or 3 or 4 or more friends that she invited along making things somewhat awkward and somewhat uncomfortable when the bill comes and it is you that ends up paying for it.
Or you can make a fuss about it and tell everyone they pay their own meal and then it gets all the more awkward and uncomfortable ........so the first date can be arranged at a coffee shop not a restaurant.
Cheers

Ok Don Juan....but those don't sound like dates to me.

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Ok Don Juan....but those don't sound like dates to me.

In my experience I found the best way is to meet them for coffee first and then see where it goes.

Dinner is fine also but the coffee shop meeting works well.

If she is not a gold digger of sorts then a simple meeting without dinner is enough.

However, if you want to go to an expensive restaurant and then go out bar hoping and drinking and getting drunk then that works also....if that is your thing.

Or go to a movie if you want to pay for all the friends she brought along

A walk in the park works well enough......

Go skydiving with her if you think that is exciting  and romantic

But we are talking about going on a first date and she invites several friends along and you are expected to pay the bill.........for everyone .......yes, all to often expected to pay for everyone when you were thinking of meeting her and getting to know her, 1 on 1, but the first date did not work out the way you were thinking.

Cheers

This chaperone thing has got whiskers: that's the way it was 30 years ago but today it's more like a scam . Thai women are more than capable of making judgements for themselves and those that seek to involve friends in matchmaking are not worth the effort. Not much chance of any frisson when dinner includes the Fei-Fei look-a-like in that video. But it's academic because at my age the most frisson I get is static from the fridge.

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

in my experience the lower class, less educated the girl the higher the likelihood she'll ty it on. i usually date professional women, often thai chinese, and they always offer to pay or share. we usually share or she pays this time, i pay next time.

i have on occasion met girls from the lower class and something i have noticed they do is order far too much food. when they cant eat it all they are unable to accept responsibility for ordering so much by saying they ordered it for me - despite the fact they were sitting there when i ordered for myself. i hate this wastefulness and would rather give money to a beggar than waste it on an ignorant greedy girl.

Finally. Someone who knows Thai culture. Much of these stories have been laughable. In your own country, think about who you would go out with. Same situation here. All my middle class Thai friends would not come near a poor Isaan leech because they know exactly what would happen.

When I was a newbie, I had a girl order half the menu also, and make excuses about too much food. I told her we are not leaving until she finishes all of it. I laughed so hard when she ran to vomit in the toilet, it was worth every satang I paid.

3 hours ago, gemguy said:

Cheers

You are offering advise about dating Thai women and yet you say you have dated several hundred Thai women.. yet you still seem to be making the same mistakes over and over again?  Where are you meeting these women... on internet dating sites or picking them up form bars? 

5 hours ago, gemguy said:
5 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Are you on Haldol or are you always like that?

If you slept with several hundred women in decent Thai society you'd be shunned damn fast (well before you hit even double figures).

8 hours ago, samsensam said:

in my experience the lower class, less educated the girl the higher the likelihood she'll ty it on. i usually date professional women, often thai chinese, and they always offer to pay or share. we usually share or she pays this time, i pay next time.

i have on occasion met girls from the lower class and something i have noticed they do is order far too much food. when they cant eat it all they are unable to accept responsibility for ordering so much by saying they ordered it for me - despite the fact they were sitting there when i ordered for myself. i hate this wastefulness and would rather give money to a beggar than waste it on an ignorant greedy girl.

Someone who gets it.

Stay away from girls who are from poor families.   

Imagine her and her family were in your home country... would you shag her and support her family there?   I hope not, so why do it here????

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Someone who gets it.

Imagine her and her family were in your home country... would you shag her and support her family there?   I hope not, so why do it here????

Perhaps it's some old Thai proverb relating to the care & feeding of farangs we're just all unfamiliar with...   Something about eating your lunch and then making you pay for their dinner...

11 hours ago, samsensam said:

Where are we,back in the UK,with all this class bs.There are rich,poor and average.We are all people,there is no class.

i recently had the experience of being invited to sit with a lady and friends at restaurant ,being half cut i accepted but was warned before by a nice well spoken thai lady(english] that i would fit the bill. i paid but made it clear to the leeches that

it was a one off.they no longer talk to me.

5 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Finally. Someone who knows Thai culture. Much of these stories have been laughable. In your own country, think about who you would go out with. Same situation here. All my middle class Thai friends would not come near a poor Isaan leech because they know exactly what would happen.

When I was a newbie, I had a girl order half the menu also, and make excuses about too much food. I told her we are not leaving until she finishes all of it. I laughed so hard when she ran to vomit in the toilet, it was worth every satang I paid.

Joop joop after,you bully.

4 hours ago, seancbk said:

Someone who gets it.

Why do it here? I ask that question every day. As i see dozens of foreign losers showing off their new bar girl catch to their bar buddies and locals. You look like a clown to everyone that knows better and can spot bar girl trash a mile away.  You look like a walking ATM with a stupid smile on your face.

stock-photo-a-photo-of-an-atm-machine-847885.jpg

13 hours ago, samsensam said:

My goodness so how does it feel to be so superior. To the so called lower class. 

10 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

You look like a clown to everyone that knows better and can spot bar girl trash a mile away.  You look like a walking ATM with a stupid smile on your face.

and those who can't afford it, are grinding their teeth, and think they are the clever ones :coffee1:

15 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Why do it here? I ask that question every day. As i see dozens of foreign losers showing off their new bar girl catch to their bar buddies and locals. You look like a clown to everyone that knows better and can spot bar girl trash a mile away.  You look like a walking ATM with a stupid smile on your face.

stock-photo-a-photo-of-an-atm-machine-847885.jpg

That's one hell of a likeness to me, I got my picture here comparing it, it looks like my twin.

12 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

In my experience the poorest are the most generous.

I couldn't agree more, inviting a few peasants, as he calls them, in your village for a meal raises your status and popularity no end for a small outlay. I have found that they are willing to share what they have with you even if it is only time or advice but often it is work. I had no idea about laying water pipes in the garden or building a fish tank from concrete, all i did was ask for advice but they ended up doing everything for me without expecting payment.