First the pier - now soldiers intend to clear up Beach Road in Pattaya

rooster59

First the pier - now soldiers intend to clear up Beach Road in Pattaya

559000012505401.JPEG
Image: Manager

PATTAYA:-- Following operations to clear up the pier area in Pattaya soldiers are now trying to reign in bike rental companies and public transport on Beach Road.

One of the innovations the army are demanding is that bike rental companies repaint all their bikes blue for easy identification.

Companies renting bikes will also have to make sure that their vehicles are kept out of the main part of the road - new road marking will limit the area they can use to park.

Meanwhile, taxis and song thaews (baht buses) are being ordered to stick to a special lane to improve traffic in the area.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-03

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Companies renting bikes will also have to make sure that their vehicles are kept out of the main part of the road - new road marking will limit the area they can use to park.

That's about time, let's see if it lasts longer than 1 weekend, as it did when city hall demanded the same a few times in the past.

4 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

One of the innovations the army are demanding is that bike rental companies repaint all their bikes blue for easy identification.

Is it April 1st already?

So I take your word that all rental bike will be blue in a few weeks. Wooooohooooo

Don't be silly they would paint them all in 3 days if they have to and for cheaper than the 20k they charge tourists for a scratch bwaahahaha!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Just now, mcfish said:

Don't be silly they would paint them all in 3 days if they have to and for cheaper than the 20k they charge tourists for a scratch bwaahahaha!

Let's talk again in a few weeks time, please post a picture when you see they are all in blue, I'm not gonna hold my breath for it though.

Let's talk again in a few weeks time, please post a picture when you see they are all in blue, I'm not gonna hold my breath for it though.

And not only will they have to repaint they will be forced to move to off the the road parking to specific areas. I don't get it what's the downside?

If they could rid sukhumvit of the 1000s of stalls squatting there and samet and cosy beach and Bali hi then why would you think this ain't gonna happen?

Just now, mcfish said:

And not only will they have to repaint they will be forced to move to off the the road parking to specific areas. I don't get it what's the downside?

If they could rid sukhumvit of the 1000s of stalls squatting there and samet and cosy beach and Bali hi then why would you think this ain't gonna happen?

I advise you to take some reading lessons before you ridicule my post again.

In my posts I said it was a good idea about the parking restrictions, I called the forced blue colouring an April 1st joke, and I still stand with BOTH comments.

The police can't do their job. They are nothing more than 9 -5 monthly envelope collectors. Someone has to do it so the Army steps in. The move is coming . Soon the police will be redundant and maybe in time will end up polishing the boots of the soldiers.

Edited by Brer Fox

I advise you to take some reading lessons before you ridicule my post again.

In my posts I said it was a good idea about the parking restrictions, I called the forced blue colouring an April 1st joke, and I still stand with BOTH comments.

What's the big deal, a few cans of spray paint and the biggest job is the petrol tank, I'm sure it's less than 5 k including sand paper [emoji1] . I didn't ridicule you? Your being sensitive

2 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Aaaand the Baht buses will be forced into a special lane instead of the empty ones hitting 80kph across all 3 lanes. It's deadly on beach road... This is like a dream

.....and the fare rising to 20 baht from January 1st I understand out of City Hall yesterday. I have no link reading elsewhere only at this time

This is absolutely wonderful news! Baht buses confined to one lane, limited rental bikes, fantastic! After beach road, I hope they get rid of all of rental bikes on soi's between beach road and 2nd road, especially around soi 7, 8, 13, 13/1, 13/2, 13/3. A good limit to rental bikes would be 5 bikes per block, anymore would confiscated and sold at auction, proceeds to the army or city hall - for repair of sidewalks and enlarging sewers.

Got to love the army!

Edited by Banana7

It would be great if we can walk along the beach in the shade of nice tree's, clean floors, some vendors in the corners ONLY and good zebra's/crossings.

But the armyboys will have to stay there at least 5 years i guess.

When i walk along beachroad at the shopside i still have to duck for outsticking umbrellapins or lowhanging roofs, fix that as well please.

And what about the buses full of chinese?? Do they still all park on the road to let the herds out?

Beachroad is such a mess, you'll have to pay me to go there for a holiday. But my wife booked a nice hotel at walking distance from the german restaurant so i couldn't refuse that.

They should also declare a 1.5 meter wide unobstructed flat sidewalk on the east side of beach road (shop side). Anything found on the sidewalk is public property, that is subject to confiscation, to be sold at public auction proceeds to the army or city for public infrastructure repairs etc..

Edited by Banana7

I only have one question over all these great improvements who is going to enforce all these new

rules ? are they going to change another group that does not backup all the old rules or are they

expecting a change of heart from the bib....they can change what they want but it then has to be enforced for it to work.

10 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I salute the army's efforts to clean up beach road, blue bikes or not.

Agreed.

And on other threads, we have dozens of posters demanding that the military give control back to the kleptocrats who created, nurture and exploit the abuses the army's knocking off the list, one by one.

Edit:  A family joke back home when I was growing up was the threat to send us kids to military school if we mis-behaved.  Maybe the folks had the right idea...

Edited by impulse

10 hours ago, Banana7 said:

This is absolutely wonderful news! Baht buses confined to one lane, limited rental bikes, fantastic! After beach road, I hope they get rid of all of rental bikes on soi's between beach road and 2nd road, especially around soi 7, 8, 13, 13/1, 13/2, 13/3. A good limit to rental bikes would be 5 bikes per block, anymore would confiscated and sold at auction, proceeds to the army or city hall - for repair of sidewalks and enlarging sewers.

Got to love the army!

One problem???? the bus lanes will be full of motorbikes

6 minutes ago, Bernard Flint said:

One problem???? the bus lanes will be full of motorbikes

The thing about Whack-a-Mole?  Ya gotta start by whacking one, and then keep smacking them as they present themselves.

Hitting them before they pop up doesn't score any points, nor does holding the mallet above any particular hole waiting for it to pop up.

oh dear

perhaps a better idea would be to have them fit a coloured number plate perhaps even blue 

11 hours ago, mcfish said:

Aaaand the Baht buses will be forced into a special lane instead of the empty ones hitting 80kph across all 3 lanes. It's deadly on beach road... This is like a dream

reduce the numbers by 50% win win

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

reduce the numbers by 50% win win

I'm not saying it's a bad idea.  I don't know, other than the thought I may even enjoy driving in Pattaya/Jomtien if they did.  

But I'd be interested in hearing predictions about the price of a baht bus if the supply went down when the demand doesn't?

There is little wrong with these plans in theory.  (Implementing them in practice is a different story.)  Freeing up loads of parking spaces for shoppers presently occupied by bike hire companies is wonderful news.  Next should come the dismantling of clothes-drying frames after dark.  The final coup-de-grace should be explaining to the Indian owner near soi 6 that the road in front of his restaurant belongs to the public.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

oh dear

perhaps a better idea would be to have them fit a coloured number plate perhaps even blue 

There you go again being logical.

STOP IT

20 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Ban motorbike rentals to tourists...just as they do in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Makes it a much safer place.

your no fun. were you never 10' tall, bulletproof, full of piss on a big bike with no experience?